Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ideas for BEST Rest Stop Food Ever

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ideas for BEST Rest Stop Food Ever

Old 11-18-21, 09:56 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
On a ride with that many people, you're going to need variety.

For the fast guys, it's grab and go if they even stop. If you're going to step it up for that crowd, I'd say musette bag handups and pre-filled water bottles. I'd make that a pre-paid option, with a different color wrist-band and routing from the other folks for the handups. That'd be awesome.

We had a spring ride in Indiana that featured hot potato soup every year, and we all looked forward to that on a crisp spring day. Made in large pots, served in cups, it was delicious and could be downed quickly if so desired. Unless it's hot, I think that's a great compromise. Potatoes digest well, but it's hot and can be enjoyed.

For the other end of the spectrum, we're talking good food enjoyed while sitting down. Preferably with a live local band. These folks aren't going to bolt out of the sag stop and toss their cookies in 30 minutes; they're going to chat, eat, chat, roll out easy, and ramp up their speed over the next hour. You don't want to waste their time waiting in line, but they don't need to be in a rush while eating. Forget about appropriateness for the activity. You could go with chili, spaghetti and meat sauce, gourmet burgers, burritos, arroz con pollo. A Paris-Brest pastry for everyone would have some panache.
Old 11-18-21, 10:06 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
The bite of a quarter pounder that includes the pickle.
Old 11-19-21, 05:35 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
I would go with jacket potatoes with a choice of simple toppings - most people will make that work and it's pretty easy to organise. Maybe soup if the weather is really cold.
Old 11-19-21, 06:04 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Lim potatoes and his rice cakes

Cheeseburgers. Ice cold watermelon is a crowd favorite.

Old 11-19-21, 07:29 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 80 Posts
Some favorites I've had: meatloaf sandwiches, egg salad sandwiches, rhubarb kuchen, hot caramel rolls, bowl of oatmeal with all the fixings, bison burgers. So much is length of ride and time of day dependent as to what hits the spot.
Old 11-19-21, 09:29 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I've done a group ride (Great River Ride) several times in Western Massachusetts/Berkshires. It's in mid-October so usually on the cool side (or, downright cold first thing in the morning). They've got a traditional baked potato stop with all the fixings which really, really hits the spot. I did the ride one year where the weather started off sketchy but was supposed to clear up, get sunny, and with milder temperatures. But, that never happened. The whole ride was raw, cold, and rainy. I can say that a hot baked potato NEVER tasted so good as that one.

Another fun rest stop food that I enjoyed and was a bit unusual in my experience was a fluffernutter. Probably more because it hearkened back to my childhood and I hadn't had one in years ... actually, decades.
Old 11-19-21, 06:10 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Belgian fries?

I heard Belgians were hardcore cyclists who invented cycling on cobblestone roads.
Old 11-21-21, 03:43 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Crepes. I would love a crepes on a ride. It's mostly carbs as well (I do mine with low-fat milk, no eggs and water and flour) either with jam and sugar, or even Nutella, maybe that one towards the end.

Non-fatty pizza, basically the dough and the tomato sauce, just carbs right there.

Last edited by ZHVelo; 11-21-21 at 03:51 PM.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 11-21-21, 03:53 PM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Nutella calzones.. Can make and bake in advance -- you'll just need to keep warm
eg. one random recipe
https://www.tastemade.com/videos/str...ella-calzones/
That is heavenly!
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 11-21-21, 06:47 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
I've done a group ride (Great River Ride) several times in Western Massachusetts/Berkshires. It's in mid-October so usually on the cool side (or, downright cold first thing in the morning). They've got a traditional baked potato stop with all the fixings which really, really hits the spot. I did the ride one year where the weather started off sketchy but was supposed to clear up, get sunny, and with milder temperatures. But, that never happened. The whole ride was raw, cold, and rainy. I can say that a hot baked potato NEVER tasted so good as that one.

Another fun rest stop food that I enjoyed and was a bit unusual in my experience was a fluffernutter. Probably more because it hearkened back to my childhood and I hadn't had one in years ... actually, decades.
We used to stop in Carl's Jr on club rides to get a baked potato. Too bad they stopped selling them.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-21-21, 08:42 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Quoted: 3076 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You need to think catering, buffet... or something packaged but still kind of premium. I absolutely think espresso would be nice, but think about how long it would take to pull that many shots, and people will be arriving in packs.

My proposal is a cooler full of It's-It sandwiches... which might be regional, not sure, I never saw them until moving to Sacramento
I lived in Sacramento in the 70s and the name sounds familiar. But I can't put my finger on it.
Old 11-21-21, 09:07 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
I lived in Sacramento in the 70s and the name sounds familiar. But I can't put my finger on it.
it’s a large graham cracker ice cream sandwich dipped in chocolate. From SF
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-21-21, 09:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravel Rider
Tacos!
I would really like to stand by my answer, but tacos is correct.
Old 11-22-21, 09:19 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Tour de Big Bear at the 40 mile stop guy does amazing peppered bacon. Couple slices go a long way.

they also do the boiled potato quarters which are amazing when you sprinkle salt on them. Each stop does the usual oranges, bananas, pbj etc. one of the stops before the largest climb does bbq spare ribs. I can’t eat them myself right before a climb but people go Gaga for them!
Old 11-24-21, 04:02 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
On a group ride a during a particularly hot morning, one of the guys got a 10 lb bag of ice at one of our stops and passed it around. That really hit the spot. Maybe have a lot of ice on hand if the ride is in the summer.
Old 11-24-21, 04:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
it’s a large graham cracker ice cream sandwich dipped in chocolate. From SF
A REAL San Francisco Treat. Not that Rice-A-Roni crap!
EDIT: Though I think the factory may be in Burlingame.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-24-21, 07:25 PM
big john

Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
A REAL San Francisco Treat. Not that Rice-A-Roni crap!
EDIT: Though I think the factory may be in Burlingame.
A friend was a local distributor for Casco Nut Sundae on a Stick. He considered It's It to be his main competition. My girlfriend worked for him as a driver and got propositioned by store owners when she was delivering.
Old 11-24-21, 07:59 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
+1 on the boiled potatoes. Had that on some long organized rides where I was going for time in Washington state back in the 80's and 90's, those are SO digestible when you're doing a hard effort.
I'd vote against suggestions with a significant amount of fat unless the riders aren't going for time. If they're getting off the bike to rest and digest for an hour (or it's the end of the day), something with fat would be great.
Old 11-24-21, 10:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
A friend was a local distributor for Casco Nut Sundae on a Stick. He considered It's It to be his main competition. My girlfriend worked for him as a driver and got propositioned by store owners when she was delivering.
Most women don't get propositioned while delivering.

Thanks! I'm here all week! Try the veal!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-02-21, 10:01 PM
Johnny Rad

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Kudos on your desire to break the mold! Good for you.

+1 on hand-up’s for the first wave of “fast(er)” riders. Nice idea, but quite possibly a wee bit dangerous for helpers and riders.

Alternatively, have enough helpers at your station so riders don’t have to get off their bikes, park them and then stagger over to get in line for food and water… someone grabs their bottles and fills them how they want while someone else brings over the food platter.

If you’re near the end, consider offering ice cold mini Coke cans. Say no more! Or, stretch it by serving it in tiny cups like airlines.

If it’s hot out, offer “disposable” cold water hand towels so riders can wipe their face, neck, hands, etc. Keep the hand towels in a big cooler filled with ice water… hard to know what to do with the used towels, but they shouldn’t be recycled during the ride! Suppose you could cut the towels in half to double your available inventory. They’re not too expensive in bulk on Amazon.
Old 12-03-21, 11:29 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I was at a SAG stop during the second day of a two day right. I was hungry and tired... and then this happened.

They were making home made PB&J sandwiches and they also had oatmeal raisin cookies. But they had the peanut butter out with a knife, strawberry preserves with a knife and a pile of those oatmeal cookies. I had an epiphany and made a PB & Preserves sandwich with the oatmeal cookies. It was the best thing I've ever eaten at an organized event. Some 16 year-old kid saw me do that and he copied. He had a big happy grin on his face when he ate it. We both laughed without saying anything to each other.
I heartily second the PB&J sandwiches, but premade and in sandwich baggies. I've seen that a few rides suffered post ride illness problems because some idiots wipe snot while riding and don't have the courtesy to take their sweaty and snotty gloves off and/or wash their hands before touching food or utensils. Currently, due to Covid etc., prepackaged food should be a must.

Also...A very big hit during hot weather rides are the frozen ices in tubes (you snip the ends off with a scissor and push the frozen ices through as you eat them) that you can get in boxes of 250. They take three or four days to freeze if you just put the box in the freezer so plan way ahead. Sometimes a layer of dry ice covered by cardboard or towels in the bottom of the cooler is needed. Riders after a hot ride absolutely love these. Cut up soft pretzels are also popular.
Old 12-04-21, 08:20 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
I heartily second the PB&J sandwiches, but premade and in sandwich baggies. I've seen that a few rides suffered post ride illness problems because some idiots wipe snot while riding and don't have the courtesy to take their sweaty and snotty gloves off and/or wash their hands before touching food or utensils. Currently, due to Covid etc., prepackaged food should be a must.

Also...A very big hit during hot weather rides are the frozen ices in tubes (you snip the ends off with a scissor and push the frozen ices through as you eat them) that you can get in boxes of 250. They take three or four days to freeze if you just put the box in the freezer so plan way ahead. Sometimes a layer of dry ice covered by cardboard or towels in the bottom of the cooler is needed. Riders after a hot ride absolutely love these. Cut up soft pretzels are also popular.
If pre-bagging sammies, please do so in paper bags. They make sealable paper bags now, or just close them with a bit of painters tape, but don’t put 250 empty ziploc out into the wild.

I do like the freeze pops idea for a hot ride.
Old 12-04-21, 01:56 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK

I've never experienced a post ride illness, but I could not argue with your point. I'm sure it has happened, and now that you've mentioned it, I probably wouldn't do that again. I want to deny it, but it really could happen. Good point. Thank you.
Old 12-04-21, 04:43 PM
MAK

Originally Posted by Leinster
If pre-bagging sammies, please do so in paper bags. They make sealable paper bags now, or just close them with a bit of painters tape, but don’t put 250 empty ziploc out into the wild.

I do like the freeze pops idea for a hot ride.
The paper bags may make sense (although plain dollar store masking tape is cheaper than painters tape). Seriously, educate me...Can't the plastic bags be recycled (along with soda bottles into fleece) simply necessitating a separate marked dedicated garbage can or bin. I agree that setting plastic bags free in the wild is not good for anyone. Wouldn't paper bags just be incinerated with other garbage thus polluting the air?
Old 12-04-21, 05:08 PM
MAK

Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I've never experienced a post ride illness, but I could not argue with your point. I'm sure it has happened, and now that you've mentioned it, I probably wouldn't do that again. I want to deny it, but it really could happen. Good point. Thank you.
I've never suffered a post ride illness either. (Now I've cursed myself!)

I can say that I used to do the Bike Ride Across Georgia (BRAG) (four times) years ago. One year they reported widespread post ride illness and attributed it to sweaty gloves and hands in common food at rest stops. This is a June ride in Georgia so sweat is abundant. They took action the following years and required that all gloves be removed and that hands be sanitized before approaching food thus alleviating the problem.

As a side note; unfortunately, they lost a few volunteers due to abuse by some of the riders who tried to be noncompliant. One very nice woman and very long time volunteer quit after being labeled, "The Food Nazi" by some belligerent a-holes, even though other riders at the stop defended her. What BRAG has done lately, I don't know. Never-the-less, in today's pandemic world, rest stops need to take and enforce whatever precautions they can.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.