Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does auto insurance cover bike racks?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-15-21, 09:18 AM
atnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts

Hitch/roof racks in particular, as these are rather costly.

I know auto insurance does NOT cover the BIKES on the rack. That's for home owner insurance to cover.

But if there's damage to the rack itself, does that fall on auto insurance? Or home owner insurance?
Old 11-15-21, 09:19 AM
kwb377 
Definitely an amateur...

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Stumpy FSR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 32 Posts
Depends on your insurance company and policy specifics...best to contact your agent and verify.
Old 11-15-21, 10:43 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9525 Post(s)
Liked 6,268 Times in 3,456 Posts
Even if they do, the cost of most racks is likely covered by the deductible for the most part. So, even if the rack is covered, you're likely to get little payout.

If the rack is attached to the car and damaged in a collision, it should be covered if you have comprehensive coverage.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-15-21, 10:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Also depends on who damages it as to what insurance covers it. And of course the circumstances matter. Talk to you insurance agent if you want to really know if you are covered for what we can only speculate about.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-15-21, 11:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Even if they do, the cost of most racks is likely covered by the deductible for the most part. So, even if the rack is covered, you're likely to get little payout.

If the rack is attached to the car and damaged in a collision, it should be covered if you have comprehensive coverage.
Yeah. I had an entire Thule rack system pried off my roof. It was not worth making a claim, especially because it would have been paid at depreciation value.
Old 11-15-21, 12:12 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
Not worth filing a claim, IMHO. First, even a top quality system would not (or just barely) exceed deductible. Second, you will likely just pay it back in future premium increases.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 11-15-21, 01:57 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by atnyc
Hitch/roof racks in particular, as these are rather costly.I know auto insurance does NOT cover the BIKES on the rack. That's for home owner insurance to cover.But if there's damage to the rack itself, does that fall on auto insurance? Or home owner insurance?
why do you ask? what happened? I got rear ended Fall of 2019 & the car behind me struck the hitch rack which slammed into my rear hatch. no bike & it was an inexpensive hitch rack. upright hanging style. I took it off the car when it was appraised & it was not included in the appraisal. I bought it 2nd hand & replaced it w/ another second hand
Old 11-15-21, 01:59 PM
atnyc

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Not worth filing a claim, IMHO. First, even a top quality system would not (or just barely) exceed deductible. Second, you will likely just pay it back in future premium increases.
Not for the rack alone. But what about a collision that has vehicle damage already? The deductible would have already been satisfied on the car repair itself. So it's more a question of whether damage to the rack will be covered or not.

Moreover, the damage to the bike would be covered by the home owner policy.

Just a question of which policy the rack is covered under.
Old 11-15-21, 02:28 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

If your rack was damaged by someone else then it's just a matter of how long you are willing to not settle.

I had a friend that got a check from an insurance agent and never cashed it because it wasn't for the amount he thought he was due. A year later he wen back to that insurance guy and ask when they were going to settle his claim. The agent said that the claim was already settled because he'd cashed the check. My friend showed him the check showing that it hadn't been cashed. The agent muttered a few words and then wrote and exchanged checks giving my friend the full amount he originally wanted.

Still, we are just guessing the particulars of your situation and have no idea if it's your insurance you are asking about or whether someone else's insurance is paying.
Old 11-15-21, 03:15 PM
atnyc

Originally Posted by Iride01
Still, we are just guessing the particulars of your situation and have no idea if it's your insurance you are asking about or whether someone else's insurance is paying.
It's a simple question. Does or does not auto insurance cover racks?

Seems people are more interested in prying into the detail of an accident. Perhaps for entertainment value?

If it were my accident, I would NEVER post any detail on a public forum. It can come back to haunt you!
Old 11-15-21, 03:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

Seems people are more interested in prying into the detail of an accident. Perhaps for entertainment value?

If it were my accident, I would NEVER post any detail on a public forum. It can come back to haunt you!
You can't actually answer the question without some detail.

Problem with your question is you need to know whether you're asking if the other driver's insurance would cover it (liability, and probably yes), or yours and that's a trickier question. I think the answer is probably not unless you have some sort of contents rider on your policy.

Likely, it's going to be the same answer for the rack as the bike--it's probably your homeowner's policy if anything.

And BTW, just say "hypothetically" and give both options (hypothetically if it's my fault or if it's another insured driver's fault). There's nothing useable if someone were to discover it.

Last edited by livedarklions; 11-15-21 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-15-21, 03:41 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9525 Post(s)
Liked 6,268 Times in 3,456 Posts

There is also a simple answer - read your policy to find out.

Don't relay on people on the internet, who may or may not have the training to properly answer your question.

Not all policies are the same.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-15-21, 03:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
There is also a simple answer - read your policy to find out.

Don't relay on people on the internet, who may or may not have the training to properly answer your question.

Not all policies are the same.

It may also vary from state to state. States have different laws about what must be covered.
Old 11-15-21, 03:56 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
See post #2 and close the thread
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-15-21, 04:42 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

That is why you should ask your insurance agent. Whether it's your fault or another persons fault, your agent can more intelligently answer the question and give you guidance.

From insurance company to insurance company it might be different and in different states even the same insurance company might be different. Some states require certain things others don't require.

If you have differing policies with different agents, then ask them all.
Old 11-15-21, 09:16 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
when I had an insurance issue with my rack on my car, the insurance company wanted to know if it was bolted to my car, was it permanently attached to my vehicle. I did not drill holes into my roof to attach a rack.
The easiest thing to do is to contact your insurance agent. Or ask the agent of any company you are about to use if you are that worried about it.

Last edited by cyclist2000; 11-15-21 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-15-21, 10:22 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Bike racks are covered by car insurance in my part of the world.
Old 11-15-21, 10:58 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
When the tractor trailer damaged my car they took out part of the roof rack, both rails were bent, two of the mounts were damaged and one of the bike carriers were bent. Rack probably saved me from losing both side windows and the windshield. Insurance company originally didn't want to pay on it claiming it was a part of the car, also tried telling me if it was included the car would have to be totaled. I argued it didn't come with the car and was installed after market, therefore it was a separate item and covered separately. Took an extra 3 weeks for them to pay up but I wasn't going to settle till they covered it and they did. Probably helped that in my case their driver was deemed fully at fault as they weren't supposed to legally drive on that road since they couldn't fit under the overpasses.
Old 11-20-21, 04:56 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
If your rack was damaged by someone else then it's just a matter of how long you are willing to not settle.

I had a friend that got a check from an insurance agent and never cashed it because it wasn't for the amount he thought he was due. A year later he wen back to that insurance guy and ask when they were going to settle his claim. The agent said that the claim was already settled because he'd cashed the check. My friend showed him the check showing that it hadn't been cashed. The agent muttered a few words and then wrote and exchanged checks giving my friend the full amount he originally wanted.

No offense, but I had to laugh out loud at this. I've been in the auto insurance business for the past 20 years and I can assure you the agent had nothing to do with handing out checks. That duty falls strictly on the claims department and the adjuster.

As far as the rack being covered, it's obviously in the rear of the vehicle, so if there's damage in that area most of the time its due to someone rear-ending the person. With that being the case there is no deductible, so the rack would be fully covered unless the person that caused the accident had no insurance. In that case, it would fall under the insured's uninsured motorists coverage (normally with a mandated $200 deductible) IF it is permanently attached with a hitch. If just mounted by straps or such, probably not.

But, if it was a matter of the owner of the rack backing up and damaging the rack due to his own negligence, it would not be worth filing a claim under his collision (not eligible for a comprehensive claim).
Old 11-21-21, 10:40 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by one4smoke
No offense, but I had to laugh out loud at this. I've been in the auto insurance business for the past 20 years and I can assure you the agent had nothing to do with handing out checks. That duty falls strictly on the claims department and the adjuster.
This was actually 40 plus years ago. A lot has changed since then. Back then I think they were even using a rubber hand stamp to print on the checks that cashing the check signified ones acceptance of the settlement. He didn't cash it, so obviously according to their own words it was never settled.

My use of the term "agent" is just that from a layperson perspective, anyone working as a representative for a company is an agent in a general sense of the word.
Old 11-21-21, 10:56 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
This was actually 40 plus years ago. A lot has changed since then. Back then I think they were even using a rubber hand stamp to print on the checks that cashing the check signified ones acceptance of the settlement. He didn't cash it, so obviously according to their own words it was never settled.

My use of the term "agent" is just that from a layperson perspective, anyone working as a representative for a company is an agent in a general sense of the word.
Gotcha...
Old 11-22-21, 07:32 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
IF it is permanently attached with a hitch. If just mounted by straps or such, probably not.

).

Truth. Depends on the rack and how it was attached. If its a pretty simple one held to a hatchback or something with straps -- likely not as was said, -- but if it is bolted or more firmly attached (like a roof rack or similar contrivance ) - then it should be deemed part of the car. In auto claims , things like pickup bed covers, step rails, etc. are considered part of the car and accounted for in a total loss settlement, so why not a roof rack? - But some things do vary from company to company and policy to policy --- or adjuster to adjuster.

Instead of arguing with you about a $200 Saris Bones rack, i might just pay it with the auto claim anyway, even if technically its looked at as a Homeowners or renters personal property item

im a 22 year claims adjuster and questions like these are why i am thankful i dont work auto claims (but i have just enough experience with them to know that i hate them )
Likes For DMC707:
Old 11-24-21, 07:20 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 1,247 Times in 720 Posts

It may be a simple question, but you have already received the answer. No one here can tell you definitively, you need to ask your insurance agent regarding your insurance. If someone else hit you, it would be covered by their insurance. This, BTW is why some wanted the details of the accident, to better answer your question.

This is one example of why an agent is often just as important, or more important than your insurance company itself. A good agent will help you through this process, and help you get your rack replaced through the insurance of the person at fault.

I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction. If someone hit my car and rack, I would want their insurance to cover the rack as well. It was, after all, their fault. If it is your own fault, only your agent can answer the question. Good luck!
Old 12-09-21, 05:09 PM
atnyc

Originally Posted by DMC707
Truth. Depends on the rack and how it was attached. If its a pretty simple one held to a hatchback or something with straps -- likely not as was said, -- but if it is bolted or more firmly attached (like a roof rack or similar contrivance ) - then it should be deemed part of the car. In auto claims , things like pickup bed covers, step rails, etc. are considered part of the car and accounted for in a total loss settlement, so why not a roof rack? - But some things do vary from company to company and policy to policy --- or adjuster to adjuster.

Instead of arguing with you about a $200 Saris Bones rack, i might just pay it with the auto claim anyway, even if technically its looked at as a Homeowners or renters personal property item

im a 22 year claims adjuster and questions like these are why i am thankful i dont work auto claims (but i have just enough experience with them to know that i hate them )
Thank you very much. That's the best and most relevant answer I was hoping for. Not necessarily a definitive yes or no, but a clear explanation of what goes into the consideration.

It goes without saying you being an insurance adjuster, you're in the position to clarify such things. Again, thanks
Old 12-10-21, 12:38 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
The M.O. of all insurance companies is to steamroll their insured and claimant-injured parties. They will tell you something as if it is gospell, although it is nonsense-rubbish in a definitive legal sense, counting on your lack of knowledge of your own rights and recovery proceedures. They count on your trusting nature that believes that they are looking out for your interest, when in reality nothing is farther from the truth, as they want to pay as little as they can with no real regard for even making you anywhere close to even fractionally whole. This is why in all cases, you should at least talk to your buddy who rides with your group, plays golf sometimes with your foursome, or is your cousin's wife who is an attorney, or retired attorney, or a neighbor or somebody you know that is. They are not gonna charge you if you just tell them that the insurance co is dictating this and that and yet refuses this, etc. They should be able to give you certain key phrases and terms to use and actual real requirement obligations that the insurance company must meet based on the general criteria of said policy in that particular state, even without needing to read your insurance policy. It is very likely that your neighbor/friend/family member, practicing or retired attorney can tell you in two minutes what to say and how to say and present it to the insurance company thus that it lights a fire under the adjuster's/ins co settlement rep's ass, that causes them to immediately significantly revise the numbers upward to something a bit more equitable & fair . If you cannot get something that is reasonably equitable in this way, you then call in the pros to handle it, and let your friend or family member's firm go to work on the project. Sometimes that is the only smart solution, because the insurance company is Not your friend and there is a helluva lot that they will not tell you regarding your options, because they don't want to pay, and they look at it as if you are to stupid, naive, and trusting to know exactly what your rights with respect to what you can recover, than they are just gonna run over you. They do like to come quickly, usually with a ridiculously low offer (CHECK presented to or mailed to you within just days) and then they tell you that is all that they will do. If you don't know how the insurance companies play the game of hardball, then you will get the shaft. Attorneys know how because they deal with them (ins companies) on a regular basis. Typically, a normal person may only encounter dealing with an insurance company about once every twenty-five years, and certainly probably not as frequently as once every ten years. Heck yeah, the national advertising for all the various auto insurance companies and property/casualty insurers tries to sell the public that they look out for you, that they are a trusted neighbor and friend, and they know what it means to serve, and that they will do right by you............yeah, it ain't like that because the number one thing that matters is paying out as little as needed and their ideal is paying as little as possible. All of the various companies are equal opportunity offenders in not exactly playing fairly with their policyholders. Those persons that are more knowledgeable about their operational practices and how they game & battle you when they believe you know very little or won't challenge their appraisal/settlement. I'm just cautioning everybody that finds themselves in a situation with an insurance company accident/or theft or fire damage claim, to at least get some immediate "free tutoring" from some friend/family member that is or was a practicing attorney. Otherwise you will get screwed. It doesn't matter who the distinguished/reputable insurance company is! They all have a ruthless/take no prisoners, we don't really give a - - - - about anything except minimizing & limiting the payout whenever and wherever possible, when you believe all the B.S. of what it means to serve, and showing tv ads with twenty five year policy holders and emphatically stating that like a good neighbor, they are there for you. In many situations, you will want and need an attorney to get the best result when dealing with an insurance company. Just like you'd probably ask your CPA or your pal, neighbor who is a CPA, at least a few questions about some notice from the IRS, etc, you should not take it lightly when dealing with the insurance company because you will likely do far better if you know or have someone experienced and knowledgeable that knows what is what, because the insurance company will in fact take advantage of your lack of knowledge. Their adjusters and claims settlers do this every single day as part of their job and they are experts after just one month of such experience, and most that you'll likely deal with will have two or more years of experience. I know this might sound harsh but those insurance folks are equally as good as used car manager/closers are at car dealerships are in steamrolling inexperienced customers. That is their business, and it is a vital part of a successful insurance company today.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.