Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I landed mostly on my head

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

I landed mostly on my head

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-21, 08:43 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I've had two times where I had an overhanging branch strike my helmet while I was riding at speed (It's easier to do than it sounds on fast winding country roads--just slightly above eye level and around a curve). Turned what would have been at least nasty gashes into 'wow, that's a weird experience". I wear my helmet at all times on a bike, weird stuff happens.
An aptly named gambler in this thread would say that had you not been wearing a helmet, you would have cleared the overhanging branches both times by exactly the thickness of a helmet.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 12-01-21, 08:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
An aptly named gambler in this thread would say that had you not been wearing a helmet, you would have cleared the overhanging branches both times by exactly the thickness of a helmet.

Well, having been there and knowing where it struck my helmet, I know that would be wrong. Both times, the branch would've struck me right in the forehead. Whether it would have been a hard impact or a glancing blow is not an experiment I would have wanted to try.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-01-21, 09:51 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think this is a New England thing--lots of low branches overhanging the roadway. I wear shatterproof glasses, so I think I'm covered there, but my strikes have always been to the top of my head. I'm guessing you are either taller than I am or ride higher on the saddle.
In these parts we have similar issues with vines. They grow to an inch or more in diameter and extend to the tree tops. Eventually they break, sometimes leaving a hanging end at just the right level. And they're hard to see in the shadows. I've been whacked a few times hard enough that I don't know if I could have remained upright had I not had a helmet to deflect the blow.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 12-01-21, 10:48 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
que the branch meets helmet cam video. FWD to 7:14

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-02-21 at 05:03 AM.
Old 12-01-21, 11:00 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
16 MPH Crashed onto the Left side. Bruised both sides of my Brain

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 12-01-21, 03:36 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I'm glad that you're okay and getting a new helmet.

I think of wearing a bicycle helmet like this. Far better to have it on and not need it that to need it and not have it on.

Whenever I dispose of an old helmet I cut a big section out of it so that no one will ever consider using it. Where I live people will scrounge the garbage looking for stuff they can use or sell.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 12-01-21, 04:06 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
In these parts we have similar issues with vines. They grow to an inch or more in diameter and extend to the tree tops. Eventually they break, sometimes leaving a hanging end at just the right level. And they're hard to see in the shadows. I've been whacked a few times hard enough that I don't know if I could have remained upright had I not had a helmet to deflect the blow.
Around here the vines are blackberry; flimsy but with large thorns, eager to rip flesh; they arch out of the ground and dangle from trees.

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Whenever I dispose of an old helmet I cut a big section out of it so that no one will ever consider using it. Where I live people will scrounge the garbage looking for stuff they can use or sell.
Good idea, thanks. I just replaced my old yellow foam hat with a new yellow foam hat. I didn't hit my head, but I dropped it a few too many times to trust it any more.
Likes For Korina:
Old 12-01-21, 09:16 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Around here the vines are blackberry; flimsy but with large thorns, eager to rip flesh; they arch out of the ground and dangle from trees.

Good idea, thanks. I just replaced my old yellow foam hat with a new yellow foam hat. I didn't hit my head, but I dropped it a few too many times to trust it any more.
I had a helmet that fell off my handlebar and when the helmet hit my floor a large piece broke off the side of the helmet. That really got me to wondering just how much protection modern helmets give. I like the Old School hardshell helmets as t heyprovided penetration protection too and the hardshells were tough.

I've had instances where a helmet protected my head and I had an instance where wearing a helmet very nearly caused me to be blinded. That was on November 6, 2020. I was riding along a paved path and a branch parallel to that path and overhanging the path caught my helmet and the helmet directed it towards my eye. As a result I had a deep cut near my eye, on the side of my neck as well as on the top of my shoulder. I'm fortunate that I wasn't going very fast.

Helmets can protect you but like anything else they can NOT protect you from everything. Still, they are good insurance in most cases.

Cheers
Old 12-01-21, 09:30 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
@Miele Man, I've worn a helmet for many years, ever since I was T-boned by a car (at 5mph, and my fault), went over her hood, and took out her windshield without so much as a headache to show for it. When I think about it, all my subsequent crashes have been slow speed and somehow I haven't hit my head; sprained my forearm, broke a bone in my hand, and got some road rash, but very luckily no head hits. I still usually wear my helmet.
Likes For Korina: