Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help with gears

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Help with gears

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-21, 09:12 AM
dlgd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help with gears

In this lockdown I decided to get my old bike out (probably 20 years old)

I'm having trouble with the gears. It has 3 at the front and 5 at the back but am only able to cycle on flat in number 2 at front and number 5 at the back on the flat and number 1 at front and number 5 at back for up hill (sorry if there's an correct way to say that) if i move to any other gears on at the back it feels like I'm peddling with no chain or like the pedals are made from smoke. Its a mountain bike so not sure if it makes a difference. I'm i just bad at riding a bike or has it got something wrong with it?

Thank you for the help
Old 03-20-21, 09:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Are you a low cadence (low crank rpm) type person? Any thing less than about 65 RPM and that's the category I'd think of you as.

If that's the case, then nothing really wrong with that unless there are cycling goals you want and are not achieving.

I used to be a low cadence rider when younger. I could accelerate from the higher ratio gears quickly. 30 years later, I couldn't do that any more. So I became a higher cadence rider and pedal gear ratios that feel ridiculously easy. I'm probably just as fast as I was when younger. Maybe with a little less stamina though.

So if you can shift your bike through out all the gear ranges, then it's working correctly. If you find you are only using a couple gear ratio's, then probably your bike doesn't have the correct range of gearing for you, or you just aren't desiring to ride at anything more than a leisurely pace.

When I ride through the gently rolling terrain around me, I'm seldom in any one particular gear for more than a minute. Sometimes I'm changing gears two or three times before completing one full revolution of the crank.
Old 03-20-21, 11:16 AM
dlgd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't think I'm go that slow on the bike! I'm going faster than a vicar form the 1930s
Out of a hypothetical 15 gears I only seem to have 2 that I can use with out feeling like I'll fall over. Basically only using the biggest cog on the cassette and the only gear change I do is at the front shifting to the smallest so i can get up a hill with out running out of steam. Assume I should be able to use other cogs on the cassette with out feeling like I'll fall off.
Feels like I'm not getting the full potential out of her.
Old 03-20-21, 11:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by dlgd
Don't think I'm go that slow on the bike! I'm going faster than a vicar form the 1930s
I wasn't asking about how slow or fast you are in terms of mph or kph. I was curious about what rpm you normally pedal at.

Perhaps if you just started back riding you just aren't used to it yet. If you have not ridden much in the last 20 years, then you need to put a thousand miles on the bike. Then you'll know better whether the bike is a limitation or it's you.
Old 03-20-21, 01:23 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
It sounds like you are saying that when shifting from the easiest gear (large back, small front) to a harder gear it feels like the pedals are made of smoke,

that you are going faster than a vicar, and that you feel like you will fall over.

It seems like when going to a harder gear, it would feel like the pedals were made of mud, or something- can you explain?
Old 03-21-21, 06:43 AM
dlgd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I wasn't asking about how slow or fast you are in terms of mph or kph. I was curious about what rpm you normally pedal at.

Perhaps if you just started back riding you just aren't used to it yet. If you have not ridden much in the last 20 years, then you need to put a thousand miles on the bike. Then you'll know better whether the bike is a limitation or it's you.
Thanks you probably saved my an embarrassing trip to the bike shop!
Old 03-21-21, 09:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by dlgd
Thanks you probably saved my an embarrassing trip to the bike shop!
Don't be embarrased to go to the bike shop if that 20 years of being in storage bike isn't shifting precisely through all the range of gears. Even if you can't use them all yet yourself.

And there is probably some other things that ought to be done. New grease in the hubs and BB. But if you just want to ride it long enough to know you are going to ride regularly then get a new bike, no big deal. You can scrap the old bike or just give it to someone in need.
Old 03-21-21, 11:03 AM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 194 Posts
I might be totally misunderstanding but if he is saying there is no resistance in pedaling in all but the largest rear cog then it sounds as if the rear mech is not letting the chain catch on the sprockets which would likely be a rear derailleur adjustment problem.
Old 03-21-21, 01:47 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
It sounds like the front shift cable needs to be tightened and the rear loosened?