Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-10, 06:54 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by AL NZ
Does anyone know the biggest size rear sprocket that will run without scraping in a full Raleigh chaincase?

I do not, but I'm pretty sure you won't need the biggest one available. Your FG hub is basically an FW with dynohub. I have an FW on my 1950 Norman Rapide, so I know that gearing pretty well. When I got the bike one of the first modifications I made was to switch the sprocket to a 22, but one ride told me that was too big; with a 22 I could get up most hills in L, and rarely needed B at all. I switched it to a 20, I think, and found that to be about right, though I may switch to a 19 one of these days. Now, your bike is definitely heavier than mine, but your wheels are also smaller. So though you may well want a bigger sprocket than I'm using, I don't think you'll need a 22. I'm guessing a 20 will suit you fine. Get two or three of the cheapest ones you can find --you can get them for $2 or $3-- and experiment.
Old 03-11-10, 07:11 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Originally Posted by gna
I'm not sure about the old Raleigh brakes, but I put Continentals on mine. You may be able to spot them on my wife's bike:

I'm not a fan of the color, but they work better than the old pads.
I guess it depends on the bike. Here's my Norman three-speed!

The pads you want are part number KS-CRSA.
I've never seen them in a shop, but there's an ebay seller that has them with free shipping.

The old Raleigh and GB brakes have an L-shaped brace attached to the brake shoe that supports the caliper against the fork when you apply the brakes, and it's important to keep this; without it the brakes will have a tendency to flex and shudder, and so won't work very well. I don't know if you can use it if you change the shoes; so I definitely wouldn't. Just change the rubber.
Old 03-11-10, 07:22 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I guess it depends on the bike. Here's my Norman three-speed!

The pads you want are part number KS-CRSA.
I've never seen them in a shop, but there's an ebay seller that has them with free shipping.

The old Raleigh and GB brakes have an L-shaped brace attached to the brake shoe that supports the caliper against the fork when you apply the brakes, and it's important to keep this; without it the brakes will have a tendency to flex and shudder, and so won't work very well. I don't know if you can use it if you change the shoes; so I definitely wouldn't. Just change the rubber.
If you happen to be missing those L braces, you can also look on basically any crappy Xmart bike that has caliper brakes. You could probably pick one up on Craigslist for $10.
Old 03-11-10, 08:38 AM
waverley610
waverley610

Bikes: ~ Unknown 1930's double top tube roadster ~ 1954 JAMES Arrow Ace hub geared club machine ~ 1959 All Steel Raleigh ~

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello. I'd like to share a couple of images of my latest acquisition; very new to the vintage bike scene but had so much fun recalling a 1930's BSA last year that I just had to do it all again this time with a 1936 Rudge Whitworth that has a '39 AW hub.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP1103.jpg (102.2 KB, 1043 views)
IMGP1090.jpg (98.7 KB, 1041 views)
1939 rudge.jpg (56.4 KB, 1026 views)
Old 03-11-10, 08:41 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I guess it depends on the bike. Here's my Norman three-speed

Just the rear pads have the brace. The forces are opposite on the front.
Old 03-11-10, 08:44 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Originally Posted by clubman
Right. I suspect my head is on backwards today.
Old 03-11-10, 08:44 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by waverley610
Hello. I'd like to share a couple of images of my latest acquisition; very new to the vintage bike scene but had so much fun recalling a 1930's BSA last year that I just had to do it all again this time with a 1936 Rudge Whitworth that has a '39 AW hub.

Very cool bike.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 03-11-10, 08:45 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Originally Posted by clubman
Yeah, and those front calipers really move when you hit the brakes.
Old 03-11-10, 08:56 AM
David Newton
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Nice Rudge.
Nice to have the original catalog, makes yours look complete without a chain gard.
How does it ride?
Old 03-11-10, 08:59 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
Yeah, and those front calipers really move when you hit the brakes.
You ought to see the exxxxtra long reach ones they use on the Raleigh Twentys When those Kool Stops grab I almost expect to see the calipers out in front of the fender.

BTW AFAIK the replacement pads will fit the housings with the L-stops on them, I recall having replaced the blocks on ones like that before.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-11-10, 09:04 AM
waverley610
waverley610

Bikes: ~ Unknown 1930's double top tube roadster ~ 1954 JAMES Arrow Ace hub geared club machine ~ 1959 All Steel Raleigh ~

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks David, I only rode out to take the photo's before starting disassembly, a 22" frame is on the small side for me but like riding a pony instead of a horse? Nippy!?!
more images: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8728562...7623572509816/

Chas
Old 03-11-10, 09:22 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Here is one I cleaned up recently. It's a 1970 Raleigh Sports that was built in Malaysia. The AW hub does not have a date code and the trigger shifter is blank. I guess the Malaysian built version did not have a lamp bracket originally.

Matt, you do the MOST impressive clean-up, shine-up work of anyone. Do you have a web page or document on how you do it? I have a lot to learn from you.

I'm not sure, but I think not all Sports models had the headlight bracket.

The Malaysian bike is interesting. I don't remember ever seeing one. The lack of a date stamp is spooky.

I noticed in the early 80's that the Chinese clones of the DL-1 were made of crappy steel, e.g. the nuts and bolts had a tendency to strip and round off. Have you noticed anything similar with the Malaysian ones?

And what kind of tires are those?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-11-10, 09:52 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Originally Posted by noglider
Matt, you do the MOST impressive clean-up, shine-up work of anyone. Do you have a web page or document on how you do it? I have a lot to learn from you.

The Malaysian bike is interesting. I don't remember ever seeing one. The lack of a date stamp is spooky.

I noticed in the early 80's that the Chinese clones of the DL-1 were made of crappy steel, e.g. the nuts and bolts had a tendency to strip and round off. Have you noticed anything similar with the Malaysian ones?

Thank you Tom, that is very flattering. I don't really do anything special or out of the ordinary, I just spend a good amount of time on them. I use white vinegar to remove rust from steel. It can take me a week or even a month to finish one bike so I am on the slow side. I disassemble every single component and tackle them one by one, I grease every single thread when I put the parts back together. It's so so nice when your barrel adjuster move freely!

I did notice that some of the bolts seemed like they may be delicate. The "R" bolts were a little bit rounded off when I found it but I don't know where they were manufactured. The tires are NOS Cheng shins that I found at my favorite dusty LBS, I was hesitant but in the end couldn't resist them. The same LBS has a pink and gum version too, I need to find a bike for them.

It's tempting to pull the tires off and hoard them but I don't have anything to replace them with.
Old 03-11-10, 10:04 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I don't really do anything special or out of the ordinary, I just spend a good amount of time on them. I use white vinegar to remove rust from steel. It can take me a week or even a month to finish one bike so I am on the slow side. I disassemble every single component and tackle them one by one, I grease every single thread when I put the parts back together. It's so so nice when your barrel adjuster move freely!
Nope... nothing out of the ordinary at all.

Old 03-11-10, 10:06 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Originally Posted by noglider

I have one of the Malaysian Sports as well as half a dozen other Raleighs. The build and material quality is certainly as good as the similar year Nottingham ones. The one I have has been ridden heavily and is still a serviceable bike. The rims on the Malaysian ones are Endrick pattern which are not as heavy as the Westricks that are used on the regular Sports. The only bikes I can find pictured in catalogs without the head light bracket are the children's and the Tween's bikes. Models like the Colt and Space Rider.

FWIW I am thinking that the Malaysian Sports was marketed as a Sports Standard which would have put it below the regular Sports that came with an air pump, headlight bracket and Westrick rims. They may have been attempting to hit a price point. I have seen 4 Malaysian built Sports and none of them had date codes on the hub, air pump pegs or the headlight bracket. Unfortunately most of the Raleigh Catalog scans that I have found concentrate on the light weights and not the 3 speed bikes.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 03-11-10 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-11-10, 10:10 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Originally Posted by wahoonc
I have seen 4 Malaysian built Sports and none of them had date codes on the hub.
Do those hubs say "Made in England" on them?
Old 03-11-10, 10:31 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Nope... nothing out of the ordinary at all.

Ha, well maybe the vinegar is a bit unusual. Of course I owe a lot of what I know and do to the members of this forum. There is an old children's book that I used to love called "Monkey See, Monkey do". I must have taken it to heart because that about sums up my time spent here.
Old 03-11-10, 10:58 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Originally Posted by rhm
Do those hubs say "Made in England" on them?
I believe they do. I will take a look when I get home this weekend, or perhaps mkeller234 can look at his and check for sure.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 03-11-10, 11:58 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Originally Posted by wahoonc
I believe they do. I will take a look when I get home this weekend, or perhaps mkeller234 can look at his and check for sure.

Aaron
Mine just says "England" is that different then norm?

You can see it in this picture, in the upper right hand corner of the logo:
Old 03-11-10, 12:09 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

It wasn't English but it was a 3 speed...

A young lady came into the co-op to get her trike fixed as some punks had taken it on a joy ride and the Worksman trike she uses to get around was already missing it's shifter, cable, and fulcrum stop.

Her friends "stole" her trike last year so the could have it professionally re-done as it was looking pretty battered after almost 2 decades of use but had not been able to find a shop here that could set up a Shimano 3 speed or could get the right parts.

She has to be really strong as I'd have trouble pedaling a trike that was stuck in third gear all day... she did say she had to walk it up small hills but that just would not do.

Found a Shimano 3 speed trigger, installed a new 3/16 bearing so it would index and now the bike shifts through all three gears. I had to fabricate a fulcrum stop as the frame tubes were larger than any stop I had... will get pictures of the bike when it comes back (cause it's sweet) as we are looking at upgrading the drive to an 8 speed.

The lady has a disability that hinders her ability to walk, but she rides... and that wider range will let her travel farther then she ever imagined.
Likes For Sixty Fiver:
Old 03-11-10, 12:17 PM
buck mulligan
I'm shovel-ready!

Bikes: Raleigh Sports All-Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
It can take me a week or even a month to finish one bike so I am on the slow side.
A week is slow? I've been working on mine for two months!
Old 03-11-10, 12:19 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I still have to tackle the polishing on my old Raleigh and am thinking that this is how I will spend my Friday evening...
Old 03-11-10, 12:20 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Originally Posted by buck mulligan
I've been working on one bike for over 30 years
Old 03-11-10, 12:22 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Originally Posted by buck mulligan
Well, that is if I am excited and stay focused. I was comparing my speed to BigBossMan, according to him it's typically less than a day.
Old 03-11-10, 12:34 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I can build a bike up from a naked frame in under 2 hours and be out test driving it but polishing parts is a time consuming process.

Ultrasonic cleaner ftw.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.