Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Flipped and slammed, now discomfort

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-12, 07:20 PM
Tgiese1

Bikes: TREK 1.1 (2012) Palermo GT MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So i recently just flipped my stem and removed the spacers to lower my handlebars, after riding with this setup I am experience lower back stiffness and my arms get very sore around my elbows. Is this normal and will my body just need a little time to adjust to this new setup? Or should i undo all of my these recent adjustments? My performance has not decreased from this, it's just a little more uncomfortable.
Old 09-02-12, 07:23 PM
ne_dan

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fashion or function, eh?
Old 09-02-12, 07:23 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Maybe.
Old 09-02-12, 07:24 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What kind of soreness? Just the elbows or do your wrists or back hurt as well. Typically it might take a few rides for your back to adjust. but post a picture of the new setup as level as you can. Good chance you just didnt roll your bars up enough afterwards.
Old 09-02-12, 07:26 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11966 Post(s)
Liked 6,633 Times in 3,478 Posts
If it's uncomfortable, then don't do it. You should know better than to listen to the idiots around here.

You'll learn.
Old 09-02-12, 07:27 PM
vermilionx

Bikes: '11 Fuji SL1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i never got that problem when i took the plunge.

but give it more time.
Old 09-02-12, 07:28 PM
Blinkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may need time to adjust, as your body isn't used to the position. Or you may have altered the fit too much. It's hard to say without images ... especially a couple of you on the bike.
Old 09-02-12, 07:32 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blinkie
You may need time to adjust, as your body isn't used to the position. Or you may have altered the fit too much. It's hard to say without images ... especially a couple of you on the bike.
Are you hitting on them? +1 Need photos, the rest is speculation.
Old 09-02-12, 07:37 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Here we go again.

Somebody does something drastic to the fit of their bike based on idiotic fashion advice on an internet board, and is shocked at the outcome. Oh...and then the nig-nogs on this board start proposing to fit that person with photos.

It's a never-ending circus here...
Old 09-02-12, 07:52 PM
Blinkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by X-LinkedRider
Are you hitting on them? +1 Need photos, the rest is speculation.
Whatever gets the pics
Old 09-02-12, 07:58 PM
SCochiller
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 09-02-12, 08:06 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds very much like you're putting too much weight on your hands through your elbows. In your situation I'd raise the bars again and find a more comfortable setup. Consider practicing riding with a much loser grip on the bars and less tension through your shoulders and elbows, and possibly do some core strengthening work.
Old 09-02-12, 08:08 PM
Drag
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tgiese1
So i recently just flipped my stem and removed the spacers to lower my handlebars, ...
And WHY did you feel you had to do this???
Old 09-02-12, 08:09 PM
Aeolis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We're gonna need some pics of you naked on the bike to really tell if it's a fit issue. If we can't see how your
pelvic bone rest on the saddle it'll be hard to say if your issues are stem related.
Old 09-02-12, 08:22 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Put everything back and start with the stem flipped. After you get comfortable, remove one spacer and do the same. Then try another spacer. Once you get discomfort and it doesn't go away, put a spacer back and keep it at that position awhile. Also work on strengthening your abs. Finally learn to ride with your elbows bent. Straight arms are okay for easy upright cruising but not all the time.
Old 09-02-12, 08:39 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
WHy in the world you had to take the spacers out??? just flip the stem and see how it goes damm it... Those type of things are done gradually not all the way down w/o knowing what are u doing Makes sense why you have pain anyways, right? Just put it back together but just flip the stem, then little by little just take one spacer at a time untill you get used to it.

Personally I cant slam down my stem, my belly is on the middle and my flexibility is not the same than 25 years ago.

Good luck Hope you learn the lesson
Old 09-02-12, 08:42 PM
Aeolis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first joined this forum I flipped and slammed, 1 week later I put it back the way it was an I was a lot bbetter off
Old 09-02-12, 09:19 PM
Tgiese1

Bikes: TREK 1.1 (2012) Palermo GT MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to some of you who actually posted something of value to me, to the other that just posted crap... do you feel better about yourselves?
I never said i was experiencing pain, I said it got sore. Soreness which is being caused when you use muscles that haven't been used in certain ways.
Old 09-02-12, 09:36 PM
Aeolis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe give it a week or two, see if the soreness goes away.
Old 09-03-12, 04:07 AM
Cookiemonsta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People here always say "Flip it and slam it" , but that may not be the best thing for you. Everyone is different and requires a different bike fit. Most people develop the flexibility to "flip and slam it" but it does not happen overnight. Dont just do it right away because people tell you to. It is something you have to grow into and you do gradually over time.

I would start by just flipping the stem, and ride like that for a couple of months. Then maybe after that, take out one spacer every three months or so and see if it does not cause any discomfort. You did too much, too fast. Also, it may be better for you to not remove all the spacers. Try it out for yourself. Do not do anything that causes pain and discomfort just to try and act like a hardcore roadie. The best thing for you to ride safe and comfortably and to enjoy your rides, is to go with a fit that works for you. Once you are ready for a more aggressive riding position you will know.

Last edited by Cookiemonsta; 09-03-12 at 04:10 AM.
Old 09-03-12, 04:39 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Cookiemonsta
People here always say "Flip it and slam it" , but that may not be the best thing for you. Everyone is different and requires a different bike fit. Most people develop the flexibility to "flip and slam it" but it does not happen overnight. Dont just do it right away because people tell you to. It is something you have to grow into and you do gradually over time.

I would start by just flipping the stem, and ride like that for a couple of months. Then maybe after that, take out one spacer every three months or so and see if it does not cause any discomfort. You did too much, too fast. Also, it may be better for you to not remove all the spacers. Try it out for yourself. Do not do anything that causes pain and discomfort just to try and act like a hardcore roadie. The best thing for you to ride safe and comfortably and to enjoy your rides, is to go with a fit that works for you. Once you are ready for a more aggressive riding position you will know.
Overall good advice with the exception in bold above. I would say 'most people' riding road bikes recreationally don't flip and slam their stems. I don't and neither do many of my friends...some do, but most don't and we ride as fast as most who don't do it for a living.
I ride with a downright high handlebar in fact and have tried every combination of position. A low bar doesn't work for me.
So OP...it may or may not work for you. In any event as stated, do it incrementally to figure out what works best. You may even prefer a 'higher' handlebar position than what you ride. I will give you a rule of thumb. Only invert your stem if you find yourself riding 90% in the drops with deeply bent elbows. Otherwise save the wear and tear on your body.
Old 09-03-12, 05:24 AM
Cookiemonsta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Overall good advice with the exception in bold above. I would say 'most people' riding road bikes recreationally don't flip and slam their stems. I don't and neither do many of my friends...some do, but most don't and we ride as fast as most who don't do it for a living.
I ride with a downright high handlebar in fact and have tried every combination of position. A low bar doesn't work for me.
So OP...it may or may not work for you. In any event as stated, do it incrementally to figure out what works best. You may even prefer a 'higher' handlebar position than what you ride. I will give you a rule of thumb. Only invert your stem if you find yourself riding 90% in the drops with deeply bent elbows. Otherwise save the wear and tear on your body.
Ah yes, "most people" may have been an exaggeration. I had not realized I wrote it that way until you pointed it out. Indeed, it is not somehow a necessity like you need to do it/ everyone does it.
Old 09-03-12, 05:34 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I agree with cookiemonsta. You have to figure out what works for you, not cave to the constant "slam that stem" drumbeats of the 41.

Ideally, you should be working with a fitter to determine a good position for you. If the fitter thinks you need to go lower to meet your goals, they'll figure out a good way to accomplish that.
Old 09-03-12, 06:08 AM
RedLeg

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist Carbon/ Cervelo S1/ Cervelo P2C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unflip it.....de-flip-it.
Old 09-03-12, 06:35 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
pain is a signal.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.