Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Oh c'mon... Show me your Motobecane!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Oh c'mon... Show me your Motobecane!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-22, 04:05 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Beurt
Here is my unknown model 50's randonneur as found, poorly painted in gold with bent fork and Peugeot decals:

It's missing both lights and dynamo a period correct leather seat new tires cables pads grease and a pump

Clearly a Motobecane despite the Peugeot decals The fork is bent as well as the down tube which is exaggerated by the picture. I was only able to straighten the fork stearer tube

And here is the bike now:

The fenders are probably not original but they are in decent condition. The leather seat is a period correct Motobecane. I changed all spokes and cables, repacked all bearings with fresh grease and new balls, but I need to source a pump in the correct length. Bother lights are LED equiped soubitez and radio powered by a dynamo, more powerful than old bulbs.
The racks were the only part kept gold.
For the frame, I went back to bare metal, applied stencils and cold blue treatment before varnish.

Headtube

Downtube
It's a sweet and comfy ride, and I love the derailleurs, the front one is a "suicide" one operated by a lever rather than a cable, the rear one is an early Huret tourist compact, cable operated that works in the opposite direction compared to modern ones, more tension to move the chain down to smaller cogs.
I've also restored an interclub tandem, but this one being too tall for me to ride is used by the younger couple in the house and they are loving it.
Nice work!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 07-16-22, 03:05 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by motogeek
'72 Grand Record. Totally (except pedals) Campy, including hard to find French Campy parts (HS, BB,seat post.)
That crank looks special.
Old 07-16-22, 08:36 PM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
That crank looks special.
Might be Super Record, not really sure. Has some milling done to the spider to lighten it a bit, but it doesn't appear to be stock Nuovo Record.
Old 07-17-22, 03:27 AM
oneclick 

Might be Super Record, not really sure. Has some milling done to the spider to lighten it a bit, but it doesn't appear to be stock Nuovo Record.
It caught my attention because I've noticed that Gian Robert cranks, which were cast (I believe) with that style of cut-out spider arms, all crack.
It's a shame, because they are nice-looking.
I have one, *every*one I see pics of has cracked.
There was one on that auction site a while ago, NOS, cracked.
The cracks are in different places, but they pretty much all have a radial - from the bb axle hole - nature.
I think they are shrinkage cracks (which is why I think they were cast), that won't be the case if they were forged and then milled.
But were it mine I'd be having a good look at it with a loupe.

Anyway, here's an on-topic pic. This is one of my favourite rides recently. The crank (Nervar Star) is a 54-46-38 triple, some double versions came with a guard ring and those bolts are long enough to hold three rings. The innermost is a bit of a cheat, it's a Stronglight with elongated holes. Gearing all Huret, shifters are their ratchet versions in aluminium, wheels are Simplex Competition laced to Weinmann 27" with Panaracer Paselas. I did all the paint as well, when I got it it was white and badged as a "Dynamax Concorde" and had been neglected and further messily spray-bombed white.

I wish it were a little smaller, but it goes and turns and stops just like I like it.

Last edited by oneclick; 07-17-22 at 05:39 AM.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 07-17-22, 06:00 AM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 65 Posts
It caught my attention because I've noticed that Gian Robert cranks, which were cast (I believe) with that style of cut-out spider arms, all crack.
It's a shame, because they are nice-looking.
I have one, *every*one I see pics of has cracked.
There was one on that auction site a while ago, NOS, cracked.
The cracks are in different places, but they pretty much all have a radial - from the bb axle hole - nature.
I think they are shrinkage cracks (which is why I think they were cast), that won't be the case if they were forged and then milled.
But were it mine I'd be having a good look at it with a loupe.

Anyway, here's an on-topic pic. This is one of my favourite rides recently. The crank (Nervar Star) is a 54-46-38 triple, some double versions came with a guard ring and those bolts are long enough to hold three rings. The innermost is a bit of a cheat, it's a Stronglight with elongated holes. Gearing all Huret, shifters are their ratchet versions in aluminium, wheels are Simplex Competition laced to Weinmann 27" with Panaracer Paselas. I did all the paint as well, when I got it it was white and badged as a "Dynamax Concorde" and had been neglected and further messily spray-bombed white.

I wish it were a little smaller, but it goes and turns and stops just like I like it.

Thanks for the heads-up on the crankset, i'll keep an eye on it.
Nice re-do on the Grand Record. Whose decals did you use?
Old 07-17-22, 08:48 AM
oneclick 

Whose decals did you use?
Mr. Softley's (www.cyclomondo.net):

Moto choices 2 C
Moto decals 1 Moto 3
Moto decals 1 Moto 6
Moto choices 4 L
531 French 3 tube and forks

The narrow gold bands on the fork and seat-tube are auto pin-striping tape; lug-lining with a fine-point oil-based pen.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 01-16-23, 11:25 AM
Rottnlove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I own a silver with blue decals motobecane mixte "club" model.

Originally Posted by th3realmckay
Found a Motobecane "Club" in my area but can't find any info anywhere. Anybody got specs or catalog scans? Checked velo-pages but no luck. I believe it's a mid-late 70s model.
I was given a silver with blue decals motobecane mixte "Club" by the original owner, they didn't remember what the exact year it was when they bought it new. They did know it was sold and purchased in the Netherlands late 70s to very early 80's because they brought it with them when they moved from the Netherlands to the US in the early 80's and they never rode it after moving. It is a very tall 10-Speed road bike with all the bells and whistles possible included on it. When it was given to me in 2016 it still had the original tires on it with the little nipples still from the manufacturing process. I have not been able to find any substantial information about it due to being a German Motobecane Club model Mixte 10-Speed (not a tandem built for two bike).
I have been able to find some catalog scanned images that might include what information might help to identify what year it is or possibly what features it could have. If it didn't have all of the possible options to begin with. The problem is that the catalog is an image and not a pdf, and it was written in Deutsch so I can't translate it into English to be able to read it. Or find an already translated into English version of the information.
I would include pictures of the bike but I am not able to because this is my first comment on this site.
Likes For Rottnlove:
Old 01-16-23, 11:36 AM
jjames1452 

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 52 Posts
Just Finished

Old 01-24-23, 10:51 AM
robobike316 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 61 Posts
Here is my Grand Jubile

Likes For robobike316:
Old 05-10-23, 12:20 PM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts

‘77 Motobecane C4

Still in build process, no rush, just enjoying seeing it come alive. So I guess this bike is a keeper lol.

Yes the seat and plastic disc (only until happy with derailleur settings) will not be staying.

Last edited by awac; 05-10-23 at 03:08 PM.
Likes For awac:
Old 05-12-23, 12:09 PM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 143 Posts
1981 Grand Touring. I like the way it rides.
I don't yet love the way it shifts, but if I can get it at least Chino-compatible and functioning well, I think I'll keep it old school.
And if I ever get my butt in gear for an Eroica type ride, I'll be in high cotton.

cheers -mathias

Old 05-12-23, 02:17 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 644 Posts
Originally Posted by jjames1452

looks nice and theCXP30 are terrific wheels
Likes For georges1:
Old 05-12-23, 05:11 PM
lonesomesteve

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 65 Posts
This 1980 Grand Touring followed me home the other day. It was a pile of grimy and rusty parts out in front of someone's house with a "Free" sign on it when I found it. I seem to be incapable of walking away from a free bike no matter the condition...

I took it all apart, cleaned, lubed, waxed, and threw in some new consumables (tires, chain, cables, housing, bar wrap). The original front derailleur was irrevocably mangled so I replaced it with an old SunTour reverse pull model that I've had lying around forever. I also replaced the original stem shifters with some SunTour Power Shifters from my parts warehouse, just because I'm doing my part to rid the world of stem shifters one bike at a time. Ignore the saddle. I just needed a placeholder so I could take it for a test ride.

After all that, it's a pretty decent bike. It's too small for me, so I'll either sell it or find someone to give it to.

Likes For lonesomesteve:
Old 05-12-23, 05:37 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 417 Posts
My recently acquired 1975 Grand Jubile Mixte. Some changes over the years,

Last edited by daverup; 05-31-23 at 04:45 PM.
Likes For daverup:
Old 05-13-23, 04:16 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
My '82 Grand Record with a Silca Impero pump. The '82s came with fully chromed forks, and this is the original.

I have never known a Motobecane that I didn't like.

Last edited by cycleheimer; 05-13-23 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-13-23, 06:49 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by daverup
My recently acquired 1975 Grand Jubilee Mixte. Some changes over the years,
Hottest mixte I've seen in a bit...gorgeous!
Likes For Piff:
Old 05-15-23, 11:19 AM
lionkok

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Old racer

I have a vintage motobecane racing bike I have had it for 30 years already, and it was old when I got it, will post picks as soon as I can
Old 05-23-23, 09:24 PM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
1983 Motobecane Jubilee Sport

Had to buy this when I ran across it. Such a cool frame construction design.

Last edited by casanewt; 05-24-23 at 12:08 PM.
Likes For casanewt:
Old 05-24-23, 12:28 AM
lionkok

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
My Motobecane

I have had this for over 30 years, I bought it, used, for 150 Dutch guilders back then. Still going strong.
Likes For lionkok:
Old 05-24-23, 08:03 AM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Originally Posted by lionkok
I have had this for over 30 years, I bought it, used, for 150 Dutch guilders back then. Still going strong.
What does your frame tubing label read? We have the same INEXTERNAL frame construction, but I believe the tubing is different on our bicycles.
Old 05-24-23, 11:19 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Very Cool. Never seen Columbus Jubiles and can we see another shot of the seat lug/stays?
Old 05-24-23, 11:26 AM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by casanewt
Had to buy this when I ran across it. Such a cool frame construction design.
The top of your seat-tube looks to have been reduced in diameter - is it, and if so could you measure the two ODs?

I ask because I have such a seat-tube on this bike, a slightly earlier Jubile Sport, but lugged, not inexternal:

Old 05-24-23, 12:08 PM
casanewt

Originally Posted by Classtime
Very Cool. Never seen Columbus Jubiles and can we see another shot of the seat lug/stays?
Added some extra photos to the original post.
Likes For casanewt:
Old 05-24-23, 12:13 PM
casanewt

The top of your seat-tube looks to have been reduced in diameter - is it, and if so could you measure the two ODs?

I ask because I have such a seat-tube on this bike, a slightly earlier Jubile Sport, but lugged, not inexternal:
It does not taper. See below.

Old 05-24-23, 01:35 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Motobecane seat bag

I couldn't turn down this pristine 1982 Motobecane Grand Touring when it showed up locally at $50. The seller threw in a floor pump. Plus the bike came with a Motobecane seatbag with the owner's manual inside the bag. I'll fix it up and let it go to a friend.

Last edited by bikemig; 05-24-23 at 08:36 PM.
Likes For bikemig:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.