Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What might this bike be?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What might this bike be?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-20, 09:05 AM
rcommbikes 

Bikes: Dahon folder, Santana tandem, Trek triathlon, Haro MTB, Bike Friday

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Update

Been enjoying the nice weather so I'm a little slow to respond.
A couple comments.

The fork crown was chromed.
The red primer isn't original, it is over the chrome where chrome remains.
Photos of shifter bosses are attached.

To the best of my knowledge, there is not a criminal element in Rochester that targets expensive bikes. The repaint on this bike is amateurish, but far more work( remove chrome, prime and repaint) than Rochester bike thieves go to: With them it's steal, maybe spray, then ride or sell. In our shop when a person in street shoes and clothes rides in on an expensive bike with clipless pedals, we inform them that we suspect the bike was stolen at some point and will not work on it. We do not accuse the rider because they may have bought it from the thief. We tell them to check with the police to see if the owner reported the theft. Multiple jurisdictions and failure to register bikes makes reunification very unlikely even if the rider does check. I have checked a few expensive bikes that we have picked up as donations from bikes drives, colleges, etc with national registries and none have been reported stolen.

We had an instance where the rider of a mongrelized Merlin (but still with a beautiful frame) worked with us and came back several times until we located the original owner via bike shop records. She had claimed the theft on her insurance five years prior and was impressed enough with the young man's honesty to tell him to keep the bike. We had two instances of volunteers who were reunited with their hybrid bikes when the the bikes came in for repair. No problems with the riders. A gentleman returned an electric bike that was stolen from our shop too.

Was this Paramount ever stolen? I think we will never know. meanwhile the lack of a SN on the frame and swapped dropouts precludes a firm ID. The fork could have been from another bike.
Still the question: is this dented frame worth salvage and a powder coat? Sale as-is?

Likes For rcommbikes:
Old 11-07-20, 09:42 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Regardless, it’s a fascinating Saturday morning read! So on much knowledge in this forum!
Old 11-07-20, 05:11 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
@rcommbikes

That fork almost has to belong to that frame, the size is very unusual match and the crown is a match for the lugs as used on Paramounts.

The red oxide etching primer is a Schwinn hallmark, chrome underneath could be original and was just painted over at the factory well before the rattle can.

Also looks to me like there are two different coats of silver from the feathering I can see.

Is the chrome underneath polished, then scuffed, just polished.

Regardless of all this it may be too much for the co-op to do a deep dive on this. The group of buyers this would appeal to would want to do their own refinish.

It will need a good groupo on it to bring the $$$ you would need to get from the effort.

The size is a "big" unknown and may hamstring the whole thing the jump.

I hate to say it but efbaying the frame may be smart play. If I didn't already have a big silver one and 3 others I might be negotiating already.

If you wind it up and miss the mark, it will be time and $$$ squandered.
Old 11-07-20, 05:29 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
I think the dropouts were swapped: Campy Portacatena shorties for the original Campy longboys...no idea why this would have been necessary (and could have been for "fashion" I suppose) but the rest of the frame does not look like a match to the "early '80s" DOs, more like this frame/fork is vintage 1972 as suspected EXCEPT there were also WB bosses added, maybe when the DOs were replaced. Do the shifter bosses seem OEM?

Also note the nutted brakes and "whale-tail" Nervex Pro headlugs, plus what I think are the OEM top-of-BB cable guides but NOW the cables are running UNDER the BB, this has been "updated" sometime after about 1978.
Agreed. Once I saw all that brass in the subsequent DO pics, I was sure it was a 70s Paramount. But it should have the 1010 dropouts, not 1010Bs. Upon closer inspection, I can make out what appear to be partial shorelines of the old brass that remained after removing the original dropouts. The guides on the bottom of the shell also point to frame upgrades at some point in addition to a repaint.

Since it's no longer original, I'd sell it as-is and allow someone to buy it and let the new owner take the decision to ride/restore.

DD
Old 11-12-20, 03:25 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Thanks to @merziac I am now fully up to speed on this thread. I am an owner of a '74 P15-9 Paramount that could stand to be a little taller, and have been on the lookout for one (pending a workable top tube length), particularly in P13-9 form. My '74 was purchased in rough shape, and it's been repaired and repainted--I am no stranger to a non-original Paramount as it's been a fantastic bike.
@rcommbikes the 67cm is pretty sweet--my ideal size. And it definitely screams Paramount. On some of the main tubes, it may even have "REYNOLDS BUTTED" faintly stamped into them. What is the length of the top tube? That is the critical bit, and the pictures seem to say that it is quite generous (in typical Schwinn fashion).
Old 11-12-20, 09:03 AM
rcommbikes 

Bikes: Dahon folder, Santana tandem, Trek triathlon, Haro MTB, Bike Friday

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
62 cm center of head tube to center of seat tube

62 cm center of head tube to center of seat tube. There is what looks like the beginning of a cut on the steerer tube. It extends 52mm around the 80mm circumference. I put 0.23 mm fishing line in the cut and it just stands a bit proud of the depth of the cut at its deepest. 0.20mm line just fits in. A crude measurement but it’s the best I can do. The bike was obviously ridden for many miles like that. If you are interested, I’ll send the frame to you for the cost of shipping for you to evaluate. You can then send whatever you think it’s worth, remembering that we are a charity. If you value it at zero that’s OK. I just don’t like to see a classic frame scrapped.

Likes For rcommbikes:
Old 11-12-20, 01:04 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by rcommbikes
62 cm center of head tube to center of seat tube. There is what looks like the beginning of a cut on the steerer tube. It extends 52mm around the 80mm circumference. I put 0.23 mm fishing line in the cut and it just stands a bit proud of the depth of the cut at its deepest. 0.20mm line just fits in. A crude measurement but it’s the best I can do. The bike was obviously ridden for many miles like that. If you are interested, I’ll send the frame to you for the cost of shipping for you to evaluate. You can then send whatever you think it’s worth, remembering that we are a charity. If you value it at zero that’s OK. I just don’t like to see a classic frame scrapped.

That is an extremely generous offer! Thank you! Alas, at 62cm, the top tube is considerably longer than I can deal with--by 2.0 - 2.5cm--which I had feared. After looking at many tall bikes, that longer top tube proportion gets easier to identify in real life and in photos. I believe there are people here or online that would fit a frame like that and do the necessary work to restore it and give it a good home.
Old 11-18-20, 12:52 PM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 162 Posts
Now on Rochester CL for $100/BO.....