Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Glasses. Where do I even start?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Glasses. Where do I even start?

Old 12-31-20, 10:50 AM
Madridjoe
Man, I love this bike!

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SLR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Dual eyewear

I have been using these https://dualeyewear.com/
for quite a while. My distance vision is fine but I need help up close, like checking a flat tire for glass etc. These cycling glasses have worked well for me and now they have a polarized version that has been optimized for lcd, I have no problem reading my Garmin.
Old 12-31-20, 11:43 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Tifosi. I picked up a pair of Tifosi sunglasses 10 years ago and have been using them since. Bought a second pair two years ago so I could have a pair for brazing. I did not want they typical ugly sport sunglass, and Tifosi has several models available that don't meld into the mold of sport sunglasses. I use them while riding my motorcycle and bicycle. Can't go wrong with Tifosi.
I have used Tifosi for the past 15 years and think they are a great value. OTOH, their lenses, while fine, are not Oakleys. Then again neither is their price.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 01-02-21, 02:40 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
Ended up going to Sunglass Hut yesterday and picking up the Sutro. Hoping to ride with them today and see how they are but so far I like them.
I went for a period trying out various brands because I didn’t want to spend the money on another pair of Oakley glasses to replace the ones I lost. The manager at the bike shop was selling a pair of radars he had for cheap, so I bought them. They were so much more clear than the cheaper glasses I had been using. It was especially noticeable on fast down hills. I eventually bought some jawbreakers and they have been my go to ever since. I like the huge lense choice with Oakley and the minimum amount of obstruction of vision from the frame.
Old 01-03-21, 01:10 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,874 Times in 4,638 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I went for a period trying out various brands because I didn’t want to spend the money on another pair of Oakley glasses to replace the ones I lost. The manager at the bike shop was selling a pair of radars he had for cheap, so I bought them. They were so much more clear than the cheaper glasses I had been using. It was especially noticeable on fast down hills. I eventually bought some jawbreakers and they have been my go to ever since. I like the huge lense choice with Oakley and the minimum amount of obstruction of vision from the frame.
It's not just the size of the lens. I'm pretty sensitive to flare and aberrations, and Oakley consistently has the highest quality lenses that I've tried. Caveat: I've not tried Smith or Rudy Project, but have tried some of the cheaper ones like Tifosi - and they don't compare.
Old 01-03-21, 01:56 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
It's not just the size of the lens. I'm pretty sensitive to flare and aberrations, and Oakley consistently has the highest quality lenses that I've tried. Caveat: I've not tried Smith or Rudy Project, but have tried some of the cheaper ones like Tifosi - and they don't compare.
“huge lense choice” was referring to the number of choices of lenses there are for each style of frame. I do agree the clarity is very good.
Old 01-03-21, 02:07 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,874 Times in 4,638 Posts
“huge lense choice” was referring to the number of choices of lenses there are for each style of frame. I do agree the clarity is very good.
Ah! I read too quickly. Saw something about 'huge' and 'lens' and 'unobstructed vision.'

Glad you like them. And yeah, swappable lenses are great. Good to have one for bright days, and one for overcast or trail raiding under tree cover.
Old 01-03-21, 02:45 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Het Volk
It may be too late but if you have need for glasses already I suggest if you have extra FSA money to spend, you spend it on prescription sunglasses.

Just got a pair of RecSpecs as we needed to spend FSA money that was going to be wasted after 12/31

not for everyone but will be nice to ride with better vision.
The COVID bill signed last Sunday let’s you roll all your 2020 FSA money to 2021. So if you didn’t use it you won’t lose it (this year).

WileyX are my favorite sun glasses. I have a pair that you add a facial cavity for skiing or riding in the cold. Lens are interchangeable on all the models I think.
Old 01-03-21, 11:35 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
I am very happy with the choice so far. The clarity is fantastic, they don’t move at all and I don’t have to worry about the frames blocking my view.
Old 01-05-21, 03:07 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
My current pair of glasses for riding is a pair of Oakley Holbrooks w/ grey transitions lenses. They're comfortable, stay put, and don't look like Oakley Blades (or anything derived thereof).

Old 01-06-21, 10:12 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I use glasses purchased at a local safety equipment supply store. They look like cycling glasses with a small wrap around but are not cycling geeky. They won't shatter in a crash and are well under $10.00. I need reading glasses so I bought ones with cheaters ($3.00 extra). Mine came in dark, smoke (perfect in the rain) and clear for at night. I am very particular and the slightest flaw would drive me nuts. I've had no such problems.
I don't abuse them but I don't baby them and none have even a scratch after years of use.

Last edited by MAK; 01-06-21 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-07-21, 02:18 PM
RandomDesign

Bikes: 2021 BMC Teammachine SLR Three

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 20 Posts
I can't say enough good things about my 100% Speedcraft glasses. Super light and comfortable with a great field of view. I was torn on the "giant" sized cycling glasses but they really are nice to wear.
Old 01-07-21, 02:56 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
I lot of the Oakley's have a higher base curvature than a typical lens. That mean you get lower distortion when using your peripheral vision, in addition to the better AR coatings that Oakley uses. Once I tried some Oakley's I haven't gone back. They're the first glasses I can wear without feeling like they degrade my vision.
Old 01-13-21, 11:14 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Smith
Old 01-13-21, 05:33 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts
Jan Janssen, '68 TDF champion.

Old 01-15-21, 07:40 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
For me, comfort is paramount. I am very sensitive to pressure on the side of my head. Most "cycling" glasses are obnoxiously tight by my standard. Coverage is also important. I prefer a larger lens. Effectiveness at cutting glare is also important to me, but most polarized glasses give me what I want. Appearance is of no consequence to me. For cycling specific glasses I like aviator style. Glasses are like saddles though in that one size does not fit all.
Old 08-22-21, 11:50 AM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
Folks, I have two pair of lenses for the Tifosi Crit frame, if you can use them, shoot me your mailing address.
Old 08-22-21, 12:34 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Goodr. Unless you're a racer boy, I think casual sunglasses are the way to go. Goodrs are inexpensive and don't slip.
Old 08-22-21, 04:08 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,815 Posts
Rudy Project. Not at all cheap, but prescription and overall excellent. If you don't need prescription lenses and/or are price sensitive, then they aren't for you.
Old 08-22-21, 04:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
My preference is glasses large enough that I don't get wind in my eyes at 40 mph, and I can't see the frames in my peripheral vision. Right now, I'm wearing Tifosi's, I forget which model name, but they stay on without a problem, though I find when I go into the drops I have to push them up my nose a bit to get the top of the frame out of my field of vision. You can't have everything. Not at that price, anyhow.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-23-21, 01:27 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by dilbert2000
Maybe it's me, but I have a harder time seeing my Garmin with polarized lenses. My car's heads up display does not work at all.
For this exact reason, airline pilots don’t use polarized sunglasses. It’s not just you. Don’t pay extra for polarization.

My Tifosi Swanks cost $25, they’re comfortable, durable and offer better field of vision than my old Oakleys. I also have a pair of Photochromatic Tifosis; they’re old, so don’t respond to light conditions as well as newer models, but again, they’re comfortable and durable and affordable (I think $60 about 5-6 years ago).

I also like Goodr. They have a great range of colors to match your bike/helmet/shoes/whatever.

If getting affordable sunglasses, avoid pairs with reflective/mirror lenses. I’ve found that the mirror coating tends to warp/scratch/discolour and it’s really off-putting.
Old 08-23-21, 01:49 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
I have a pair of Rudy Project Exceptions. Prescription insert, 3 different lenses. Don't breathe worth a damn and sweat definitely builds up behind them in humid weather. Were incredibly expensive.

So, basically: Would not buy again.

Old 08-23-21, 09:16 PM
Bolo Grubb

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood
Polarized safety glasses from your local hardware store are awesome
I wear Smith and Wesson shooting glasses, but they are are just basic polarized safety glasses. Bought them for about $10 at my local sporting goods store.
Old 08-24-21, 03:24 AM
wkc

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 105 2016, Trek DS 8.5 2015, ProAce (1986?)

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Find yourself some Jetblacks and try them for size and fit. They are reasonably priced and come with multiple lenses.
https://www.jetblackproducts.com/pro...-amber-lenses/