Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

10 Speed Campy Cassette with Shimano RD?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-29-21, 07:10 PM
praise dakinis

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Raleigh Sports, Gitane Tour de France

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I've come into a set of Zipp wheels, and the rear has a beautiful Campy Record hub (no cassette on it). The road bike I’m building has a 10-speed Shimano drivetrain with Dura Ace bar end shifters (indexed), and I’m wondering if there’s anything I can do to make the rear wheel (with the Campy freehub) workable with the 10-speed Shimano road drivetrain?
Old 05-29-21, 09:42 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Shiftmate
Likes For RGMN:
Old 05-29-21, 11:20 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Just set the right shifter to friction.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-30-21, 05:33 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I haven’t done it with 10 speed, but I’ve run Campag shifters and derailleurs with Shimano 8 and 11 speed cassettes with no problem. I set my indexing based on the middle cogs (so 4/5 for 8spd, 6 for 11, and presumably 5/6 for 10), and then set the limiting screws at either end. The difference in cassette width between Shimano and Campag 10 is 1.6mm, so if you “split the difference” this way, the chainline is within 0.8mm of the cogs.

No guarantee it’ll work to your level of satisfaction, but I’d give it a go before spending on a shiftmate or replacement free hub body etc.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 05-30-21, 07:17 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
I haven’t done it with 10 speed, but I’ve run Campag shifters and derailleurs with Shimano 8 and 11 speed cassettes with no problem. I set my indexing based on the middle cogs (so 4/5 for 8spd, 6 for 11, and presumably 5/6 for 10), and then set the limiting screws at either end. The difference in cassette width between Shimano and Campag 10 is 1.6mm, so if you “split the difference” this way, the chainline is within 0.8mm of the cogs.

No guarantee it’ll work to your level of satisfaction, but I’d give it a go before spending on a shiftmate or replacement free hub body etc.
11-speed Shimano and Campy cassettes have the same spacing, so they will work together no problem; and as you've done with the 8 speed, there's enough margin of error that it will work.

But I do not think this is the case with 10 speed, and you won't get nice shifting. The cassette spacing is not the same, and the margin of error is too small. You can probably make it rideable in some gears, but certainly not all. If you have a high tolerance for imperfection, maybe that's not such a big deal .
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 05-30-21, 08:20 AM
praise dakinis

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster;[url=tel:22081115
22081115[/url]] No guarantee it’ll work to your level of satisfaction, but I’d give it a go before spending on a shiftmate or replacement free hub body etc.
OP UPDATE! I found another workaround altogether, but I’m still interested in all these suggestions (you’ll see why).

I was perusing Craigslist last night and happened to come upon a great deal on a beautiful late ‘80s Miele Latina frameset (Columbus SL tubing, Campy headset) and realized I’ve got a bunch of Campy I was needing a place for (was going to part it out), and realized I could run it all on this beautiful frameset. So I’m thinking to get an 8-speed Campy cassette for the Zipps and run it with the rest of the Campy.

HOWEVER I’d still be interested in riding these Zipps on the bike with the 10-speed Shimano drivetrain, so either running the right Dura Ace bar end shifter it in friction mode or getting the Shiftmate would be the options.

So now I’m wondering: would I need the Shiftmate 1 or the Shiftmate 4? (Or some other one?)
Old 05-30-21, 08:43 AM
Motorazr

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Diverge Elite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Science Behind the Magic | Drivetrain Compatibility – Art's SLO Cyclery (artscyclery.com)
Likes For Motorazr:
Old 05-30-21, 04:10 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by praise dakinis
I've come into a set of Zipp wheels, and the rear has a beautiful Campy Record hub (no cassette on it). The road bike I’m building has a 10-speed Shimano drivetrain with Dura Ace bar end shifters (indexed), and I’m wondering if there’s anything I can do to make the rear wheel (with the Campy freehub) workable with the 10-speed Shimano road drivetrain?
First you need a Campagnolo cassette in there. Shimano and SRAM cassettes will not fit on a Campagnolo hub.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 05-30-21, 04:29 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

OP UPDATE! I found another workaround altogether, but I’m still interested in all these suggestions (you’ll see why).

I was perusing Craigslist last night and happened to come upon a great deal on a beautiful late ‘80s Miele Latina frameset (Columbus SL tubing, Campy headset) and realized I’ve got a bunch of Campy I was needing a place for (was going to part it out), and realized I could run it all on this beautiful frameset. So I’m thinking to get an 8-speed Campy cassette for the Zipps and run it with the rest of the Campy.

HOWEVER I’d still be interested in riding these Zipps on the bike with the 10-speed Shimano drivetrain, so either running the right Dura Ace bar end shifter it in friction mode or getting the Shiftmate would be the options.

So now I’m wondering: would I need the Shiftmate 1 or the Shiftmate 4? (Or some other one?)
More basically, what is the dropout spacing on your Meile frame? For the 8 speed or higher hearings you need 130 mm spacing. So measure the space between the dropouts and you should get 130 mm or 5.12” or (less accurately) 5 ⅛ “. If it is not this value you need to see if there is a trusted local bike shop which has the skills to cold-set your rear triangle to 130 mm.
Old 05-30-21, 06:30 PM
RGMN

Depending on the age of the Campag hub you may be able to change the freehub to a Shimano compatible freehub. Then you can use a Shimano 10-sp cassette on the Record hub. You would need a Campagnolo P/N FH-BO015X1, but it will only work if you have a non-cutout axle. The non-cutout axle is P/N FH-BO001, but if you have to replace both it probably is going to be more expensive than getting a good Shimano compatible hub.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 05-30-21, 09:43 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Why is this posted here and not the proper place?
Old 05-31-21, 05:02 AM
praise dakinis

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Why is this posted here and not the proper place?
Because I have no idea where things are supposed to be posted! Happy to have it moved to wherever that would be
Old 05-31-21, 09:04 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Because I have no idea where things are supposed to be posted! Happy to have it moved to wherever that would be
It's a question about something mechanical. It should be obvious. Take a look around for a minute, there are tons of forum sections for a reason.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-31-21, 09:26 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by RGMN
Depending on the age of the Campag hub you may be able to change the freehub to a Shimano compatible freehub. Then you can use a Shimano 10-sp cassette on the Record hub. You would need a Campagnolo P/N FH-BO015X1, but it will only work if you have a non-cutout axle. The non-cutout axle is P/N FH-BO001, but if you have to replace both it probably is going to be more expensive than getting a good Shimano compatible hub.
I've never heard of this! For what kind and age of Campag hub, and what kind of Shimano freehub, will this work? Sorry, I don't know what those part numbers refer to.
Old 05-31-21, 12:17 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
11-speed Shimano and Campy cassettes have the same spacing, so they will work together no problem; and as you've done with the 8 speed, there's enough margin of error that it will work.

But I do not think this is the case with 10 speed, and you won't get nice shifting. The cassette spacing is not the same, and the margin of error is too small. You can probably make it rideable in some gears, but certainly not all. If you have a high tolerance for imperfection, maybe that's not such a big deal .
Granted, it might not work nearly as well with 10 speed, but I will always default to exploring the cheapest option (ie, just get a Campag cassette) and see if it works acceptably, before spending extra on other parts (the shiftmate).
Likes For Leinster:
Old 05-31-21, 01:02 PM
praise dakinis

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench;[url=tel:22082332
22082332[/url]]It's a question about something mechanical. It should be obvious. Take a look around for a minute, there are tons of forum sections for a reason.
Ok, I’ll give it a try next time. Sorry for the hassle!
Old 05-31-21, 05:47 PM
RGMN

Originally Posted by RGMN
Sorry, got the cutout axle info wrong. This only works on hubs WITH the cutout axle. If you have a non-cutout axle you need a new axle P/N FH-BO001.

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I've never heard of this! For what kind and age of Campag hub, and what kind of Shimano freehub, will this work? Sorry, I don't know what those part numbers refer to.
From what I recall this works on pretty much any of the OS hubs with cutout axles (2006+.) As for the part numbers:
FH-BUU015 - Freehub for Campy 9 to 11
FH-BUU015X1 - Freehub for HG 9 to 11
FH-BO001 - Cutout axle for pre-2006 OS hubs
Old 06-01-21, 02:56 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
More basically, what is the dropout spacing on your Meile frame? For the 8 speed or higher hearings you need 130 mm spacing. So measure the space between the dropouts and you should get 130 mm or 5.12” or (less accurately) 5 ⅛ “. If it is not this value you need to see if there is a trusted local bike shop which has the skills to cold-set your rear triangle to 130 mm.
I've fit many 130 hubs in 126 steel frames and rode them for years with no issues. It's only 2mm difference on each side. I have an '80's Trek that's actually been cold set to 130 but that isn't even needed.
Old 06-01-21, 06:49 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
A 10 second Google reveals:

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/12/mixi...what-doesnt-2/

Mixing and matching 10sp Shimano/Campagnolo seems to be a bit questionable. You might be able to get a Shimano freehub body for the Record hub, I have no idea. Regardless, that's a 20 year old niche part, good luck finding if it exists.

In unrelated news, I currently have a Quarq (SRAM) crankset, Super Record levers and derailleurs, and an Ultegra cassette and chain running 11sp on one of my bikes. Works perfectly.

Last edited by Hiro11; 06-01-21 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-01-21, 10:28 AM
RGMN

Originally Posted by Hiro11

Mixing and matching 10sp Shimano/Campagnolo seems to be a bit questionable. You might be able to get a Shimano freehub body for the Record hub, I have no idea. Regardless, that's a 20 year old niche part, good luck finding if it exists.

In unrelated news, I currently have a Quarq (SRAM) crankset, Super Record derailleurs, and an Ultegra cassette and chain running 11sp on one of my bikes. Works perfectly.
The Campag P/Ns I gave are all current and QBP actually have them in stock. They are current parts for the wheels both Campag & Fulcrum are selling.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 06-01-21, 11:07 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by Lazyass
I've fit many 130 hubs in 126 steel frames and rode them for years with no issues. It's only 2mm difference on each side. I have an '80's Trek that's actually been cold set to 130 but that isn't even needed.
Just call it my opinion, then.
Old 06-01-21, 11:30 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by Hiro11

In unrelated news, I currently have a Quarq (SRAM) crankset, Super Record derailleurs, and an Ultegra cassette and chain running 11sp on one of my bikes. Works perfectly.
It may be questionable now, but perhaps 20 years ago it was regarded as not possible. This is why I would like more details of how this works now. Most of my bikes are Campy-based, but for one I'm planning to build next Fall I would like to use my very nice set of Shimano 6500 hubs. I might go with clinchers (it has Mavic Open Pro) or I could put on Nisi of Mavic tubulars and to with 36 mm Strada Bianca tubulars. I also have several pairs of extra Canpy 10sp Ergopowers, After I pick a 10sp Shimano derailleur I would put it all together with a Shiftmate and ride the bike that way. Or I may use it on my Terraferma, which I would also like to convert to indexing. I got teh new Shiftmate for something like $40, which may be less than the costs of freehub conversion.

I would also do coldsetting to match the frame dropout spacing to the intended wheel OLD. It might just be opinion, but based on my engineering training I beleive the stresses inside the hub based on the forces between it and the frame are smaller when there is not a twist applied to the hub by the dropout.

Many riders have stuffed wheels into frames and had that cause no problems. That doesn't mean I'm wrong, I would just rather not do that on one of my bikes.