Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help me find a 1" Threaded 280mm 700cx50c Fork

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-21, 11:03 PM
2flit
2Flit

Location: Orcas Washington and currently Circumnavigating in a Farrier F36 Trimaran

Bikes: 1968 Rene Herse Gentleman's Bike; 1974/5 Jim Merz Custom-built; 1984 Rodriquez tandem; 2012 Bilenky Tandem; 1967 Cinelli SC; 1984 Specialized Exp. 68cm; 1971 Holdsworth 63cm(my first bike ever and owned since new!); 1994 Bridgestone MB5; 86'Trek420

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 35 Posts

I need a new front fork.
I've got a 1970's Jim Merz custom 67cm touring frame and was just hit by a big black SUV that destroyed my front fork.
It Is Hard to replace this fork.... and I don't want to spend $1000 on a custom fork, So I am looking for a production fork if any exists?
1" Threaded steerer tube
282mm long Steerer Tube (super long)
Old fork handles 700c X 42mm tires and Aluminum fenders with a 20mm fender/tire clearance. I'd prefer to run even larger tires but that's asking too much.

I know I'm asking allot here... anyone know of anything like this?

What I do know; Surly and Dimension Forks don't work, Uni-Crown forks would mess with the bike geometry. The local guy that builds frames here in New Zealand wanted $1,400 nzd to make one but that's with some custom features I'd want on a built to order fork. I can't find anything so maybe you have some ideas
Thanks!

Last edited by 2flit; 06-26-21 at 11:08 PM. Reason: added rim size
Old 06-26-21, 11:37 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Looks like you have 10 posts, so you can post a photo of what the original fork/bike looked like, which would help. What would also help is the type of brakes used (I could assume cantilever, or center pull, or long reach side pull etc), as well as some geometry specs of the Merz. A number of vintage forks can handle a 700x42mm tire only (no fender), so it's something a bit more special to handle that plus a fender, not unlike my '85 Trek 620 (25.5" / 65cm). I know the long steerer dilemma as that is often the sticking point for us with properly tall bikes.

Soma is the first company that comes to mind as they have built and sold many a frame, fork, and component. I don't know your desired timeline here either, which can certainly be a factor. I've had a fork's steerer replaced before (old one was cracked off due to stem seizure--1974 Paramount P15-9 Touring) and that worked really well. That could be an option if others fail. Find a 1" threaded fork that gets you what you need tire+fender wise, and then have a new super long steerer put in. Maybe there are some 66cm Koga-Miyatas touring frames/bikes running around (or just forks), though I don't know what did and didn't make it to NZ. Old Fujis could come in 27" (68.5cm) size, and old Panasonics in 26" (66cm) or 28" (72cm). Again, this comes down to brake type, so we'll wait for your response.
Old 06-27-21, 12:35 AM
2flit
2Flit

Location: Orcas Washington and currently Circumnavigating in a Farrier F36 Trimaran

Bikes: 1968 Rene Herse Gentleman's Bike; 1974/5 Jim Merz Custom-built; 1984 Rodriquez tandem; 2012 Bilenky Tandem; 1967 Cinelli SC; 1984 Specialized Exp. 68cm; 1971 Holdsworth 63cm(my first bike ever and owned since new!); 1994 Bridgestone MB5; 86'Trek420

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 35 Posts

The Brakes on the Merz frame are Mafac Raids.. I don't expect to use them on the new forks... unless I were to braze on studs at the higher location these brakes require. It will be sad to lose the old Mafac's. These were a spectacular brake and worked better than the Canti's or side-pulls on my other frames. I'd need to keep the same brake lever pull ratio that the Mafac Raids use.

I'm trying to keep the costs down and away from custom fork work that would be required to refit the Mafacs and the contactless SON dropout on the old forks. I live in Canada and Washington state normally, but am kind of 'stuck' in New Zealand because of Covid. I don't mind sourcing all of this out of North America. I'll try to see if I have any pictures of the fork crown area, is that what you'd like too see?

Last edited by 2flit; 06-27-21 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-27-21, 01:13 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
That's plenty, thanks. When more people get up in the morning (it's midnight as I type this here in Seattle) they can shed more light. Certain late-'70s Centurion Pro Tours came with studs for center pull brakes, but no Centurion was ever tall enough, like 99.99% of all production bikes out there.
Old 06-27-21, 04:59 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
I'd start by asking Jim Merz himself what he would charge to make a new fork. I chatted with him on the phone the other day. He can also tell you the specs on your fork. He keeps his build sheets. Is every part of the fork toast? In other words can the steerer and crown be used again? You've got a special fork there with big clearance and studs for Mafac Raids. What about the front rack braze-on? I'd be surprised if you can buy some kind of production replacement fork anywhere near what you had bit I'm not one that keeps track of those things since I'm a custom builder myself so I wouldn't know.
Old 06-27-21, 05:40 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Two years ago I had a custom fork built for $250, which included a low-rider boss on each blade, no paint as I painted it myself. 1400 seems excessive. Get a second and third quote.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 06-27-21, 09:16 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 783 Posts
Aside from the very apt advice to contact Jim Merz, if you DO opt to go with a production fork then you would want to find one with the correct clearance for your wide tires and the proper rake/trail, then spend for a steerer to be spliced on and the bosses added (by a competent brazer/TiG welder with experience). At least the paint should be easy to match!
Old 06-27-21, 09:35 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I don't know if it's any help, but someone on the internet-BOB mailing list (G**gle.group) has posted about some "threadless" 1" Tange forks with 280 mm steerers. Only downsides are that a) it's not a Merz fork, b) noted tire clearance is only 45 mm, c) axle to underside of fork crown appears to be 354 mm, d) you'd have to get the steerer threaded, and finally e) the crown race seat appears to be ~27.0 (though that could be cut down easily enough for not too much dosh):
https://groups.google.com/g/internet-bob/c/XobgBhpdTnA (if you are a group member, or have a G**gle sign-in)
or you could simply email the offeror:

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 06-27-21 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-27-21, 11:38 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
SOMA is the place to check for replacement forks. Here's one that might work for you. Steerer is plenty long, tire clearance isn't stated, but I have a similar fork from them with what appears to be the same fork crown, and it has room for 54mm wide tires no problem. Axle to Crown length is 398mm, check yours, but I think this might be plenty for what you need. It does have 65mm of fork offset (rake), I'm sure that's a lot more than Jim designed into his design as he's not a low trail proponent. It's also a cantilever post design, however.

If you can unstuck yourself from New Zealand, once you get back stateside sometime I could take a look at that fork. The pics you showed don't look bad, but I'm assuming this was a post-crash photo? It may be possible to get everything bent back in place. I've had success doing so with several forum friends. There are people who will build you a fork for significantly less than $1000.
Old 06-28-21, 12:46 AM
Jimbo1983

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 31 Posts
Hi where in NZ are you? Which guy did you talk to? There's a guy who has repaired bikes for me here before, https://www.jeffsonbikes.co.nz/ unless he's the guy you've already spoken to. He's local-ish to me and is currently in the process of building me a bike. To keep costs down you could leave it unpainted etc.

ALso I hope you are ok yourself, physically! Did they get the person who hit you?
Old 06-28-21, 11:41 AM
Schlafen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
Old 27" wheeled bikes are probably your best bet.
Currently messing with my commuter and sourced a higher rake 27" fork (very close colour as well) to get rid of a little toe overlap. However, if you need a 280mm steerer you may need to replace the steerer as these lengths are extremely rare, especially threaded, unless you can find an uncut/unthreaded example, NOS basically.

In my case, from this:

To this:

Clearance wise, 27" forks should meet your wide tyre needs as well, 28mm tyre for reference:
Old 06-28-21, 01:58 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
The first thing I thought of was a Crust Disc Romanceur fork though that one tops out at 261mm. It does have internal tubing for a dynamo though. You could ask them about a longer tube?

I was planning on replacing the fork of my 66cm Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller (55mm of trail on this bike Geometry here) with that one so you would be welcome to have the original unicrown fork which can fit 42mm tyres with fenders though not with that much clearance. I believe it can be increased with some strategic filing.
Another option would be earlier pre-1990 Koga-Miyata RandonneurExtra (essentially a Dutch market Miyata 1000) in 66cm but no idea how you would get your hands on just a fork outside of sheer luck and if they even fit 42mm tyres + fenders.

Koga Traveller fork with 42-622 tyres.

Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller fork

1989? Koga-Miyata RandonneurExtra

Last edited by JaccoW; 06-28-21 at 02:05 PM.