Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brooks B67 / Sprung Saddle on Brompton

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-21, 07:55 PM
ciclista_pazza

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute, Yokota mountain bike (199?), 1979 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts

I have a Brooks B67 sprung saddle on two of my larger bikes and love it. I had a Brooks B17 in the past and found it too narrow and the B67 feels much better in comparison due to the wider nature of that saddle. I'm picking up a Brompton this weekend and trying to determine what saddle to go with. I saw some comments on the forum from Brompton owners who have a B67 . For those who have done this, does this have any impact on the folding of the bike? I had a Brompton a few years ago but now can't recall if the seat would factor into the folding. I just want to make sure the fact of that saddle taking up more space won't be an issue. I'm ok with the fact that it will probably weigh a lot more than any other saddle.
Old 08-09-21, 03:45 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 319 Posts
It won't make any real difference to the fold for regular use. Should you be trying to minimize all of the dimensions to fit in a tightly fitting hard case or the like it might matter.
Old 08-10-21, 03:57 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
The Brooks B67 is higher than the original saddle.

The height of the folded Brompton is defined by its height at the saddle.

So, with a higher saddle (or a longer seatpost), the folded height is increased (unless the saddle is removed when folding the bike what can easily be done with the telescopic seatpost).

I am pretty sure that without removing this B67 saddle, the Brompton won't fit anymore in the BW hard case.

Old 10-06-21, 05:06 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
You might want to get an unsprung version of the b67.

The brompton is pretty "springy" feeling due to the elastomer in the back.
For heavier people like me, upgrading to a denser elastomer (I did the birdie green "extra heavy") elastomer greatly helps.