Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shopping for a modern bike... Question from fellow C&V-ers

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Shopping for a modern bike... Question from fellow C&V-ers

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-21, 12:40 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
Looked at Giant and rode it today. I really like it but while I was waiting on the guy to show up, the Fairdale owner responded and said he still had it! So I am hoping to see it today or tomorrow. He’s asking 900 and it was a 3k bike, steel frame, all carbon fork and weighs around 18#. So told Giant owner I had one more to look at and would decide and let him know. That brake thing I could live with the look, but it really is obtrusive.

https://offerup.co/sRxgBU9csib

Last edited by LibertyFLS; 08-04-21 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-04-21, 02:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by LibertyFLS
Looked at Giant and rode it today. I really like it but while I was waiting on the guy to show up, the Fairdale owner responded and said he still had it! So I am hoping to see it today or tomorrow. He’s asking 900 and it was a 3k bike, steel frame, all carbon fork and weighs around 18#. So told Giant owner I had one more to look at and would decide and let him know. That brake thing I could live with the look, but it really is obtrusive.

https://offerup.co/sRxgBU9csib
Oh for sure grab the Fairdale if it is in good condition, fits, and you like the riding geometry. Those were really cool bikes for the 3ish years they were around, and they werent at all successful so they were heavily discounted.
The lack of success is not at all indicative of quality- those were really neat frames. The marketing of their steel was a bit over the top, but thats just marketing speak anyways.
Super neat option for sure. Hope it works out.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-04-21, 05:32 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
If you're gonna drop two grand on something "modern" anything over 17lbs means you're doing it wrong. Lightly used carbon fiber is everywhere.
Partially agree if the idea is "to keep up with friends on modern bikes" without losing weight or gaining fitness, but ultimately it depends on a bunch of factors not limited to ride intensity, geography and other inputs like total system weight as HTupolev pointed out.

I'm not familiar with the Torrance scene, but here in Seattle we have Zoo Hill, with an average grade of 8.6% (and 15-20% in a few spots) for a bit over 2 miles. On my 21.0-lb modernized 80s steel Trek 700, my time for this climb is typically around 13:10-13:15 at 330 watts avg. On my 16.5-lb carbon bike, a similar effort gets me up the hill 30-40s faster... not much, though marginal gains can easily add up to 5-10 minutes over the course of a 70-100 mile ride with an overall elevation profile of 4k ft or greater.

But even then jumping headlong into weight-weenie land might be a total waste of time and money unless Performance is paramount. An 18-19-lb steel build might be a nice compromise... good luck with your search and don't settle for something that doesn't fit / feel right to you!

Here's a handy tool that is pretty accurate if you want to really get into the gains dept: Bike Calculator

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
My friend and fellow BF member @ctak has been filling my head with much knowledge of Specialized's S-Works Roubaix, particularly the SL3 and SL4 years. Why? Incredible focus on taming the destructive cobbles encountered during the Paris-Roubaix spring Classic while also being plenty fast/transferring your power. The magic of 10-12 year old top-end carbon. You can even fit large rubber (~30mm or so IIRC, but am fine being corrected). I would have to imagine a good bit of the magic trickled down to the lesser carbon Roubaix's, but this search in LA reveals many options to peruse. That may be your killer combo of comfort over the crummy stuff, but still plenty fast when you put some power down. Plenty of bike for you (or me) to 'grow' into.
Glad you included older S-Works' in this thread RiddleOfSteel Sub $2k deals on 10-15yr old higher end Dura Ace carbon builds aren't uncommon around Seattle either.
Likes For ctak:
Old 08-04-21, 05:48 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Oh for sure grab the Fairdale if it is in good condition, fits, and you like the riding geometry. Those were really cool bikes for the 3ish years they were around, and they werent at all successful so they were heavily discounted.
The lack of success is not at all indicative of quality- those were really neat frames. The marketing of their steel was a bit over the top, but thats just marketing speak anyways.
Super neat option for sure. Hope it works out.
Right. Every review I read was nothing but full of praise. One guy got on it and instantly had to race a crit and loved it. Another review said he didn’t want to give it back etc and they all pretty much said it was one of the best riding bikes they’d been on regardless of price.

Now I’m just waiting on him to reply again!
Old 08-10-21, 05:56 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

So I got the Fairdale in the end. I was waiting to update the post until it was in my hands. This bike is mint, 1-2 scratches or chips at most! And wow it’s light!! I weighed my ‘80 SR Semi-Pro it’s 25.2, my ‘73 Falcon San Remo is 24.2, this is 20 as pictured. It has a weird bottle cage that looks like a dog and is heavy which will be getting replaced tomorrow with blue standard ones. Probably in the future put some carbon wheels and save a pound but for now I just plan to ride. Obviously I'm changing the pedals, these were just for the test-ride. I've been riding 2-bolt SPD clipless but ordered some look style cleats and pedals which should get here tomorrow and will go on my other shoes. Planning on changing the saddle unless I find it comfy after my first ride tomorrow, and not sure about the grey bar wrap either.

The ride is amazing and I am just super glad I waited. He took my offer of $800 and I think I couldn’t have done better. I really liked the Giant I was considering but this one is marginally lighter, and was 2x the Giant cost new and the Giant seller was firm at $1100. So I saved 300, got a “better” bike and for sure got a bike I will probably never see coming or going on any ride.

This post was informative and useful and I appreciate all the different replies everyone offered!!!

Last edited by LibertyFLS; 08-10-21 at 06:35 PM.
Likes For LibertyFLS:
Old 08-10-21, 06:41 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
very nice

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 08-10-21, 07:02 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Hey, nice lookin' ride!
Likes For BFisher:
Old 08-10-21, 07:11 PM
metalrideroz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I say leave the flats on and Taj would too haha. You made a good choice and with the move to disc and TA for modern road stuff I'm sure you'll be able to find a high end rim brake wheelset at a discount in the future.
Likes For metalrideroz:
Old 08-10-21, 09:23 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
VERY VERY COOL BIKE. I'll be on the lookout for that Blue Fairdale. The tape looks fine and with Road Shoes and Pedals? Step-in UP!
Old 08-10-21, 09:48 PM
notenoughdaylig 

Bikes: atala cromor salsa las cruces slingshot boomtube merckx mxm

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Looks fast!!!
Likes For notenoughdaylig:
Old 08-10-21, 10:31 PM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
So glad you made the choice you made. I think a lot of the "comfort" of new bikes is just fresh cables, better cog design etc....

Getting dropped on a ride is, outside of maybe sprinting and top-tier climbers and TT testers, the engine.

SRAM Rival is solid group-set, and for $800.....great find.

Last edited by Het Volk; 08-10-21 at 10:35 PM.
Likes For Het Volk:
Old 08-11-21, 11:34 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by LibertyFLS
So I got the Fairdale in the end.
Helluva find. Really neat brand and quality build.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-11-21, 01:19 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

First ride this morning. Brifters are awesome. The bike is light and geometry feels great. Seat sucks imo so will definitely be changing it. The gearing definitely makes climbing easier and probably the lighter bike doesn’t hurt. Brakes are awesome. Steel is real although this is definitely much stiffer than my 40+ year old bikes….

This probably will be my last post about this bike in the classic and vintage sub group and I will get back to posting about classic and vintage bikes.

Last edited by LibertyFLS; 08-12-21 at 09:54 PM.