Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 08-23-21, 07:35 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
I'm committed to going Tues tomorrow. I'll bring a folding hand cart (I already own it) as I don't want to invest in some rolling thing yet. I'll carry my toolbox, a medium cooler, a bit of track stuff (rings etc), a backpack with soft goods, and wheels and bike. Food may be a challenge but I think I should be okay. Oh, rollers. At least they fold.

If a bigger rolling thing makes sense I'll get one Wed (I scoped out a rolling cooler which doubles as something to sit on, and rolling tool boxes that look like hard case versions of rolling luggage).

Then this Friday we'll head down as a family, hopefully catch the Fri Night races, then Sat I'll race/ride.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 08-24-21, 06:42 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
I really have to ask, how and why are you all doing this during a pandemic of biblical proportions?

The vaccine doesn’t prevent you from getting and spreading COVID. It simply helps deal
with it.

I’ve cut all extra stuff that involves anyone outside of my household. It sucks, yeah. But watching my neighbor to the left of me sit in the hospital for 8 weeks with a tracheotomy will do that. Watching my neighbor directly across the street catch COVID from his elderly father (both were vaccinated) and dad be hospitalized will do that. The guy who owned and rented the house on the other side of me is dead. In the ground from, you guessed it…COVID.

I’m chilling. Getting fat. Playing video games.
Likes For carleton:
Old 08-24-21, 08:25 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I'm committed to going Tues tomorrow. I'll bring a folding hand cart (I already own it) as I don't want to invest in some rolling thing yet. I'll carry my toolbox, a medium cooler, a bit of track stuff (rings etc), a backpack with soft goods, and wheels and bike. Food may be a challenge but I think I should be okay. Oh, rollers. At least they fold.

If a bigger rolling thing makes sense I'll get one Wed (I scoped out a rolling cooler which doubles as something to sit on, and rolling tool boxes that look like hard case versions of rolling luggage).

Then this Friday we'll head down as a family, hopefully catch the Fri Night races, then Sat I'll race/ride.
Look into a tool backpack. I bought one this year after bringing my daughter there and found getting over the track to be a bit much with two bikes, tools, and other stuff. On the Saturdays I've gone I haven't seen much of them stopping family from going into the middle. I don't bother with a repair stand, I just flip the bike upside down. I did buy chairs with built in covers since the sun can be hot and intense there especially over several hours.
I'd hoped to be racing this Sat but found out that NY state Jr track is this Sat so she's racing that and I'm cheering her on. I'm not the best for advice on gearing, I race 4/5 and I'm last half the time and close to last the other half. I ran a 51/13 in the last race and had my best results yet, started with a 48/14 and was very quickly dropped but I'm also not a fast spinner. I know others are running similar gearing and even higher. It's a fun place, just wish last sat hadn't been rained out for me, won't travel with a better than 40% chance of rain, not worth the gas and lost registration.
Old 08-24-21, 09:39 PM
Ace32

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Japanese works stand. These are so, so useful for gear changes and I don't understand why they have never caught on outside of Japan.
Rule 49...

Does look like a genuinely good idea though!
Old 08-25-21, 04:27 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Ace32
Rule 49...

Does look like a genuinely good idea though!
Sorry, what is rule 49?
Old 08-25-21, 06:24 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Sorry, what is rule 49?
Velominati.com - the rules

Rule 49:
Keep the rubber side down.It is completely unacceptable to intentionally turn one’s steed upside down for any reason under any circumstances. Besides the risk of scratching the saddle, levers and stem, it is unprofessional and a disgrace to your loyal steed. The risk of the bike falling over is increased, wheel removal/replacement is made more difficult and your bidons will leak. The only reason a bicycle should ever be in an upside down position is during mid-rotation while crashing. This Rule also applies to upside down saddle-mount roof bars

*also, it's tongue in cheek
Old 08-25-21, 06:36 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Morelock
Velominati.com - the rules

Rule 49:
Keep the rubber side down.It is completely unacceptable to intentionally turn one’s steed upside down for any reason under any circumstances. Besides the risk of scratching the saddle, levers and stem, it is unprofessional and a disgrace to your loyal steed. The risk of the bike falling over is increased, wheel removal/replacement is made more difficult and your bidons will leak. The only reason a bicycle should ever be in an upside down position is during mid-rotation while crashing. This Rule also applies to upside down saddle-mount roof bars

*also, it's tongue in cheek
HAHA! Well I guess we do things differently over here, but in general I completely agree with Rule 49! But basically, you put something down under your saddle (glove, rag, whatever), and all is good. Seriously things things are great.
Likes For Baby Puke:
Old 08-25-21, 07:04 AM
Morelock

I'm with you... if I don't have a free stand available I do almost everything with a bike upside down.
Most of my saddles are trash anyways haha
Old 08-25-21, 07:58 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I bought one of these: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod155410

It unfortunately does not fold up, but it doesn't take much space in the car, so I can easily swap rear wheels/gears in the parking lot.

I also have a luggage strap that I keep in the car and have used that to hang my bike from tree branches or stair rails in the parking lot.
Old 08-25-21, 10:51 AM
carpediemracing 

So overall successful recon trip. I realized that unless I flat I won't need extra wheels (I have really two sets of primary wheels but only use one pair at a time), I'm not sophisticated enough to change gearing all the time, and really it's just water and sitting stuff (chairs etc). I think that with with a small backpack with immediate needs (glasses for racing, for example), a cooler, and an awning chair, I'll be good. Allen wrenches, lockring tool, chainwhip, a couple rings and cogs, and my 15mm ratcheting box wrench and I'm good.

TTown has a permanent tent in the infield, a lot of lawn chairs, and rails all over. No stand necessary with the rails, you just hang your saddle on one and do whatever.

I think if I was doing open track to experiment with stuff, then I'd want a wagon with wheels, maybe different bars/stems, different helmets, tools, etc. I got there in time for open track but I was a bit zonked from the drive so I just rolled around the track, no experimenting. But for a night of novice level racing I don't need stuff to work on the bike.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 08-25-21, 11:18 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by carleton
I really have to ask, how and why are you all doing this during a pandemic of biblical proportions?

The vaccine doesn’t prevent you from getting and spreading COVID. It simply helps deal with it.

I’ve cut all extra stuff that involves anyone outside of my household. It sucks, yeah. But watching my neighbor to the left of me sit in the hospital for 8 weeks with a tracheotomy will do that. Watching my neighbor directly across the street catch COVID from his elderly father (both were vaccinated) and dad be hospitalized will do that. The guy who owned and rented the house on the other side of me is dead. In the ground from, you guessed it…COVID.

I’m chilling. Getting fat. Playing video games.
I think this is a good question, totally relevant right now.

My biggest concern with bike racing was spreading virus through racing in a pack. I fully expected massive outbreaks last year after the first big pro races, like the Tour etc, before the vaccine - so much so that I decided I would not enter a race until I was fully vaccinated. But nothing happened. It seems like it doesn't spread easily in that kind of context, even though to me a group of panting cyclists seems like it would be a bad thing.

My next biggest thing, for this trip especially, was trying to limit exposure during the drive. Normally it's a non-issue because my regular race haunts are 35 min away, but for a 4+ hour drive (due to traffic etc each way took 5 hours) it's relevant. I don't know the history for each town I'm driving through, the amount of people that pass through, likelihood of masks or vaccines etc. So, for example, our town is highly vaccinated, pretty isolated (no major highways or roads leading into town), is very aggressive with virus matters (we have a mask mandate for any public indoors setting regardless of vaccination status), and has a very low sick count, like 4 people or something. So I bought every normal trip thing in town, at my regular places (gas, snack/drive food, a stem believe it or not, and some magnets for my disc wheel which I promptly misplaced during my drive). I planned on zero stops during the 4 hour drive, except possibly to use a bathroom (not necessary on the drive out or back). Normally I never fill the gas tank (it holds like 38 gallons and I'd rather not carry around an extra 20 gallons for nothing) but I filled it thinking it might make it there and back (it did, and it handled differently due to the weight in the back).

Next, the venue/race, for TTown. It's outdoors. Mass start racing doesn't seem to spread the virus, and the layout was such that there was a natural social distancing. I think the closest occupied chair to me was 10 feet away. It seems like it's more an aerosol thing, not a touch thing, so I wasn't as concerned with touching things, although I didn't touch that much stuff (portapotty at TTown, 2 chairs). I did shake some hands.

Finally, what if I crash? That to me was the biggest risk, especially with me being so far away from home, and with the local hospitals being the ones that are fighting with Phil Gaimon for services rendered. My health insurance is in network. PA doesn't have a huge surge right now, so if I got critically hurt I'd (probably) be treated. And in a sense I rode a bit conservatively, which is my thing anyway.

And as far as exposure goes... I work in a setting where the vaccination rate is very low (the city is one of the worst in the area and half of our customers are from there), a significant number of coworkers are anti-vax... it's stupid. I do what I can but I figure if it's going to happen, it's going to happen from work. And I've been working from the very beginning of pandemic. We have a chain separating us from the customers so we speak (almost yell sometimes) across a 6-8 foot gap. The pods we stand at are about 6-8 feet apart. Massive vent fans in the break area that I never turn off. So I'm good with the mask, I don't go and hang out in the back, and I keep the fans blowing all the time to move air out of the indoor areas. There are some mitigation attempts, like a guy that comes in and fogs stuff. One coworker tested positive (his roommate's girlfriend works at a school, a parent sent their positive kid to school without letting anyone know, and a slew of people got sick). None of us got sick though, so it seems the steps in place at work are relatively effective.
Old 08-25-21, 01:49 PM
carleton
Elitist

I appreciate that you are thinking deeply about this.

...I figure if it's going to happen, it's going to happen from work.
That's not the right way to think about this. The risks are additive.

You have X amount of risk at work. Then in your leisure time, you add Y amount of risk, for a net total increased risk.

I do what I can...
With that in mind, I beg to differ. You can cut out training and racing at the velodrome to lower your risk...literally.

I don't think the risk is worth the reward. The effects, as unlikely as they are, can be traumatizing.

Also, if everyone would stop doing "extra" stuff, the virus would subside. Mask mandates and shutdowns work. This idea that, "We gotta get back to normal and things will be normal." doesn't work. We know it doesn't work, yet we keep trying it.

Hindsight being 20/20. If everyone in the world had just chilled for 2 months back in early 2020, this would all be behind us...yet, here we are.

I'm sorry to sound preachy. I'm not directing all of this to you. It's to those participating in sports in general.
Old 08-25-21, 02:06 PM
m@tty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
As a Paramedic I have pretty much been in the eye of the storm for 18 months now and COVID free and now vaccinated. If people had followed the simple advice of wear a mask, wash your hands and keep your distance im a firm believer that the repeated lock downs wouldn’t have been necessary. I now get dirty looks when I wear a mask as if I’m an idiot. I’m not the most sociable person any way so not much changed for me but
have made a few trips over to Manchester velodrome this year turned up in my kit and left in my kit. On the last trip there were only two of us using the track and when one was on the black line the other was on the blue line.
Likes For m@tty:
Old 08-26-21, 08:59 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Any thoughts on the Alex RSD30 rim? https://alexrims.com/products/rsd30/
Looks the exact same as the Origin8 Bolt, both claim 400g, 30mm height, and same 19mm internal width. Seems like one of the lightest aluminum rims I've found which could be worrisome but Alex usually makes a decent rim though usually on the heavy side.
Probably pair it with Profile Racing hubs since they're a decent price and come in purple for my daughter, not to mention their bearings are highly regarded as fast in the BMX race scene.
Old 08-26-21, 07:01 PM
carpediemracing 

About 60% chance of rain for Friday and Saturday at TTown. May not be making the trip.

I realized when I was there that if I lived near the track I'd be there every open track, rolling around, experimenting and stuff. It was absolutely amazing to be there during open track. I'm so uneducated on track stuff that I had nothing planned to do, but it was so much fun, Playing in an oval sandbox, so to speak.
Old 08-26-21, 07:06 PM
carpediemracing 

Question - what do you all use for chain lube? I realized the other night I literally have not lubed the chain on the track bike. I have White Lightning, which I like. Finishline Ceramic something. A couple clear bottles of something. The Boeing stuff? TriFlow. I have WD-40 as well.
Old 08-26-21, 07:20 PM
carpediemracing 

One more - what sort of percentage makes you call off a TTown day in terms of rain. Forecast is 60% so seems very high. Long drive, hotel, risk, etc. I may be calling off the train this weekend.
Old 08-26-21, 08:07 PM
Russ Roth

I use prolink on my chains and find it does a good job.
I bail at 40% chance of rain, just not worth the typically 5-7 hours of total drive time to get rained out.
Old 08-26-21, 10:13 PM
bicievino

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Question - what do you all use for chain lube? I realized the other night I literally have not lubed the chain on the track bike. I have White Lightning, which I like. Finishline Ceramic something. A couple clear bottles of something. The Boeing stuff? TriFlow. I have WD-40 as well.
I use Molten Speed Wax for my track bike.
Since it's never going to get wet, it seems worth the extra bit of hassle for some free watts.

For a drip-on lube, I'd be inclined to go with Squirt.
Old 08-27-21, 06:11 AM
Morelock

really on track, going to wax will make life so much easier and cleaner. Especially because compared to other cycling you're going to be touching your drivetrain much more often... just a nice side benefit that it's generally more efficient and cheaper.
Likes For Morelock:
Old 08-27-21, 06:26 AM
1incpa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
One more - what sort of percentage makes you call off a TTown day in terms of rain. Forecast is 60% so seems very high. Long drive, hotel, risk, etc. I may be calling off the train this weekend.
It's 1-1/2 hour's drive for me one way. I've made the trip and not raced because of rain. That's 3 hours of my life I'll never get back.
Any more, I call the velodrome office and see what they're thinking if the weather looks questionable. The staff is friendly and helpful. They realize that lots of folks are driving a considerable distance to race at their track.
610-395-7000
PI
Old 08-27-21, 08:12 AM
carpediemracing 

Thanks for helping the newbie. Drive time each way was 5 hours due to traffic, we would commit with hotel room etc. Ill make the call at noon, which is just before we were going to leave.

Im a huge fan of White Lightning so I'll use that.

Quick story, when I got there I asked a group of riders the protocol, where to set up, what was off limits, etc. Two of the three riders pointed at the third one, and she graciously answered my questions, even offering some tips on things i didnt know I didn't know.

Got an email from TTown about Fri night.. I saw a picture of her under Hall of Fame info. She was one of the riders inducted in 2020. Former world champion.. a zillion other palmares. And very gracious and kind to a guy that was so clueless the guy had no idea who she was. Kim Geist.
Old 08-27-21, 01:29 PM
carleton
Elitist

Kim is kind of a big deal...

Likes For carleton:
Old 08-29-21, 02:11 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by bicievino
Since it's never going to get wet.
Ironically one of the NEV race nights ended quite early due to a huge downpour. Normal concrete surface (not like the smooth like sheetrock TTown) and half the banking so you can ride it in the rain. They called the night but it was definitely dripping before, but it got really wet really fast. I was soaked before I got off the track.

Over the weekend I found some rust on the axle nuts. I realized, oh, right, that's from the rain.

Last edited by carpediemracing; 08-29-21 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-29-21, 02:13 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by carleton
Kim is kind of a big deal...
I only looked at her coaching site where she lists her palmares. That picture puts it in perspective.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.