Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How do you attach a photo to thread?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-16, 08:03 PM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts

I'm trying to attach a photo from one of my photo files and when I click on the "attachment" button I'm asked for the URL. And that's the only option available to me. I don't have a URL for my photo files. I swear, this is the most un-user friendly forum I've ever tried to use. Seems like I frequently run into difficulties trying to navigate it. Anyone else ever had this problem?
Old 08-03-16, 08:09 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Like any other forum, practice makes perfect. This forum hosting platform is pretty standard.

If you don't wish to provide links from a 3rd party host, click on "go advanced" below and you will see the paper clip icon for attachments. Be warned only small images < 1mb are allowed.
Old 08-03-16, 08:10 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by motogeek
I'm trying to attach a photo from one of my photo files and when I click on the "attachment" button I'm asked for the URL. And that's the only option available to me. I don't have a URL for my photo files. I swear, this is the most un-user friendly forum I've ever tried to use. Seems like I frequently run into difficulties trying to navigate it. Anyone else ever had this problem?
The forum software has changed, you used to be able to upload a photo, but typically on if it was low-rez, smaller file type. That said, this forum costs you zero dollars, but has a ton of great information in it, so my suggestion to you is to deal with the limitations. File storage costs storage space. Flickr, shutterfly, google photos etc. are all free photo sites that you can upload, then link to.

Alternatively, you can leave in a huff, but that's your loss. If you're into classic/vintage bikes, there's absolutely no better resource than this one. The search function isn't that great either, but the collective wisdom of this community will help you out if you have the right attitude.
Old 08-03-16, 08:11 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by oddjob2
If you don't wish to provide links from a 3rd party host, click on "go advanced" below and you will see the paper clip icon for attachments. Be warned only small images < 1mb are allowed.
Did not know that, thanks!
Old 08-03-16, 08:23 PM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Hi Gugie. I'm not trying to be huffy, just frustrated because I can't do some of the things that I used to be able to do fairly easily, like download a photo. I wasn't aware of the software situation. I'm all with you on the value of this forum. I have gleaned good info here and also contributed to it from my area of knowledge. Guess I'll have to experiment with how to create a photo sharing account and link it to here. All while trying to figure out how to navigate Windows 10 , which I seem to have a knack for loosing things in.

Originally Posted by gugie
The forum software has changed, you used to be able to upload a photo, but typically on if it was low-rez, smaller file type. That said, this forum costs you zero dollars, but has a ton of great information in it, so my suggestion to you is to deal with the limitations. File storage costs storage space. Flickr, shutterfly, google photos etc. are all free photo sites that you can upload, then link to.

Alternatively, you can leave in a huff, but that's your loss. If you're into classic/vintage bikes, there's absolutely no better resource than this one. The search function isn't that great either, but the collective wisdom of this community will help you out if you have the right attitude.
Old 08-03-16, 11:09 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Hi Gugie. I'm not trying to be huffy, just frustrated because I can't do some of the things that I used to be able to do fairly easily, like download a photo. I wasn't aware of the software situation. I'm all with you on the value of this forum. I have gleaned good info here and also contributed to it from my area of knowledge. Guess I'll have to experiment with how to create a photo sharing account and link it to here. All while trying to figure out how to navigate Windows 10 , which I seem to have a knack for loosing things in.
No problems. Windows 10? Eesh, I'm holding out as long as I can with 7! Try @oddjob2's "advanced" method and see if that can work for you.
Old 08-04-16, 11:54 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Easiest way is to create a photobucket account. (FREE!) Upload your pics to photobucket. When your pic is displayed in photobucket click on the "image link" button and then paste that link into your message.

-SP
Old 08-04-16, 12:48 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy25
Easiest way is to create a photobucket account. (FREE!) Upload your pics to photobucket. When your pic is displayed in photobucket click on the "image link" button and then paste that link into your message.

-SP
Use Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet - it's even easier, no account required, full resolution pictures, drag-and-drop upload, and no Malware advertising to infect your computer and no crappy pop-over advertising.

Photobucket sucks now, it's gone down the crapper. They make it impossible to see in hi-res for almost every picture I go find there, they try and infect visitor computers unless they use a competent adblocker (let's admit, only us tech savvy folks do) especially with that damn "Media content is not able to display properly" and the fake extra "Google tracking" window it creates EVERY TIME you visit their site. It's insane!
Old 08-04-16, 01:04 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Good example....

I turned off my popup blocker and went to the Photobucket page for BF member @sloar because he's got some damn awesome pics. I initially got there from clicking a photo he posted on BF because I wanted to see a picture zoomed-in full-screen, which is something Photobucket makes really difficult these days.

I let the page fully load for 30 seconds. I couldn't even see what was on the page. It was covered in a full-page advert covering another half-page advert. So I closed both of those adverts. Then got hit with a malvertising advert in the bottom corner saying my media player is out of date - click it, and it'll take you to malware (PUP). Then, I close the page entirely. The smaller attachment here is the pop-under banner they hit every user with trying to trick you into some privacy scam BS. Click the links there and you'll again get hit with malware (another PUP).

It's horsedookie. And by now, the Nigerian scammers have learned to pick off your photobucket pics and use them in phony Craigslist ads, @gomango are you the one who's constantly seeing your bikes pop up from what you posted on Photobucket?

Anyway, attaching the pics so you can see what a typical user gets unless they pay a ransom for the "premium" service. When you do, you don't see the adverts but anyone looking over your Photobucket album still gets hammered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1st-load.jpg (94.9 KB, 223 views)
after-removal.jpg (85.4 KB, 224 views)
under-pop-malvert.jpg (20.5 KB, 224 views)
Old 08-04-16, 02:16 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I use Flickr. It's older, harder to use and link pics, but it seems to be where a lot of classic and vintage bicycle photos are located.

At any rate, there's not a lack of choices.
Old 08-04-16, 05:14 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Heh Francophile,

I deleted my Photobucket account. I didn't own most of those bikes anymore and I'm not terribly sentimental when it comes to material goods. Soo, off with its head.

As for my Flickr account, I'm dinking around with privacy settings. I pass protected most of the pics of our kids.

As for the bikes, I should have all of those fotos straightened around soon enough.
Old 08-04-16, 05:57 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
You can just use the software here.

Size your image as a JPG, and less than 98kb (or so). I usually use about 1000x1000 as a guideline, and 70% resolution.

Click on the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of the editor if not already there.

Now click on the "Attachments" paper clip in the header of the editor, or "Manage Attachments" below the editor (both the same).

ImageOptions.jpg

Click on "Browse"
Find your image, then click on "Upload"

Now, here is the tricky part. The system will automatically put the image at the end of your message. If you wish to put it in an arbitrary location in the message, then type in:
[attach]<Attachment ID Number>[/attach]
You can normally retrieve the <Attachment ID Number> (all numeric by hovering over the Attachment somewhere and looking at the address bar at the bottom of your browser, or opening it in a new window and looking for a 6 digit number. In this case, 533240.

That is an idiosyncrasy created with the last update. Not necessary, your attachment will still go to the bottom of the message if you don't do it.
Old 08-04-16, 11:19 PM
sunnyone

Bikes: 1997 Trek 850, 1992 Trek 750 Multitrack, 1983 Zebrakenko Wind, 1982 Takara Tribute, 77 Takara mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks CliffordK. I've been looking for some directions like this since the software was "updated".
Old 08-05-16, 06:05 AM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I do think it's a little disappointing that the gold jersey members still have 1mb picture limits. I was getting along just fine with whatever was there before, and now I rarely bother uploading a tiny photo. With the issues that @gomango has had with having his bike photos show up is odd places on the inter web, I'm not big on "free" externally hosted photo sites either.
Old 08-07-16, 12:18 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
bump.
Old 08-07-16, 03:07 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
I've been using Picasa for years now, but Google recently decided to terminate it and migrate everything to Google +. I have yet to figure out how find a link so that I can use the [IMG] command to imbed a pic. Argh!
Old 08-08-16, 10:34 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

@nlerner I've been fighting with this as well. Google gave some tips on it here: https://sites.google.com/site/picasa...nk-to-an-image

==> Note, step 1 there is asking you to click the image to show the full-size of it before right-clicking.

Unfortunately, it only works some of the time here @BF (or other vBulletin forums). Most common reason I find for failure: The damn link is so long and filled with random characters, it sometimes triggers the forum censors for 'banned' words.

Like, I've got this one picture https://goo.gl/photos/3qC6dNmjvmMtMVEJ7

And if I right-click it to get the URL, it has the string "C*Nt" in the URL which won't allow me to link here.

However, here's the next picture in that album which works great just adding the ?.jpg at the end because it lacks that special phrase:

Old 08-08-16, 06:14 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Thanks, @francophile. Yeah, pretty annoying that Google made this change. I'm going to look into migrating my photos to some other site, but I'm sure that's a PITA.
Old 08-08-16, 06:36 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I wanna remove/migrate all my photos from P-Bucket, but can hardly find the enthusiasm.
Or time.
Old 08-30-21, 07:03 AM
nintando

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks!
Old 08-30-21, 09:14 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by nintando
Thanks!
Remember you have to put down 10 posts over 2 days before you can post pix or links!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-06-21, 10:57 AM
motogeek 

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Remember you have to put down 10 posts over 2 days before you can post pix or links!
Is this someething new? I don't remember this being a requirement in the past, although its been a while since I've posted a pic.
Old 09-06-21, 11:11 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Is this someething new? I don't remember this being a requirement in the past, although its been a while since I've posted a pic.
Once you have > 10 posts, it becomes a non-issue.

Two updates collided a few years ago.

5 posts a day for 2 days & no hyperlinks was implemented a few years ago for SPAM control. Some spammers will hit a website with literally hundreds of posts if there is no control to slow them down.

A few years ago photos were changed from being handled as "Attachments" to being handled in the "Album/Gallery". This made photos handled as an internal image hyperlink. And, thus hit the hyperlink restriction above.

The site should have been able to put in an exception to the hyperlink rule for photos hosted on BikeForums, but they never have.

As it is, if a Newbe attempts to upload a photo, it will be put in their album. This album will keep the photos, and a savvy user can find the album based on the user's account ID number .