Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Clear, Yellow, Polychromatic Lenses

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-03-20, 11:50 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts

There was a recent thread on eye protection. I wore photo-gray/transitions prescription lenses for years before cataract surgery and currently wear amber/dark sunglasses for road riding.

This is more specific to trail riding.

I am finding that even the amber is not always good for shadows, and worse for tunnels. I won't ride without some eye protection and I want UV protection. I am not looking for the best cycling glasses either.

But I would like to know if clear or yellow is better, or more of a toss-up? And which is better in direct sunlight?

And... How fast do polychromatic lenses change from dark to clear? My old photo-gray/transitions were not immediate.

Thanks for any suggestions.

John
Old 11-03-20, 12:18 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
There was a recent thread on eye protection. I wore photo-gray/transitions prescription lenses for years before cataract surgery and currently wear amber/dark sunglasses for road riding.

This is more specific to trail riding.

I am finding that even the amber is not always good for shadows, and worse for tunnels. I won't ride without some eye protection and I want UV protection. I am not looking for the best cycling glasses either.

But I would like to know if clear or yellow is better, or more of a toss-up? And which is better in direct sunlight?

And... How fast do polychromatic lenses change from dark to clear? My old photo-gray/transitions were not immediate.

Thanks for any suggestions.

John
Light amber and light blue are generally better for shadows than grey or mirrored. I prefer polychromatic but they take a minute or so to compensate for ambient light. Some of the newer polychromatic lenses have a larger color change but because of the time it takes to change back in shadows I'm not wild about them. Lately I've been using very light grey, But that is mostly because that pair of glasses keeps wind out of my eyes on fast descents.
Old 11-03-20, 01:38 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
- Clear is for night time, pre-dawn, and shaded/wooded riding.
- Amber is best for diffuse light, particularly in overcast or gently raining conditions
- Darkened lenses for direct sunlight.

Amber is also good for night driving in rain with all of reflected/refracted odd lighting.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 11-03-20, 03:23 PM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
I think perhaps you mean 'photochromic,' whichchanges its amount of light transmission with the amount of sunlight. These are the kind of lenses I use. They do take a minute or so to react to changing light conditions, but for me this minor drawback is worth the other advantages.

They start out almost clear, perhaps 15% reduction in light. One drawback is that they don't get nearly as dark as true 'sunglasses,' only about a 75% reduction in light transmission, as opposed to the 85-90% as regular sunglasses.

I never understood how to use glasses that came with several sets of lenses; clear, gray, amber and green. What are you supposed to do? Carry the extra lenses around with you when you ride and change them as the light changes?

Nah! These guys work great. They're dark enough in bright sunlight, but not too dark when you duck into some shade. And when the light fades they're clear enough to continue riding without a problem, even at night. They might not suit everyone's needs, but they work great for me.
Old 11-03-20, 03:31 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Originally Posted by joeruge
I think perhaps you mean 'photochromic,' whichchanges its amount of light transmission with the amount of sunlight.
LOL! Yeah, I guess polychromatic doesn’t make much sense. But it does sound good. I could probably sell a few of them on Amazon.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 11-04-20, 02:42 AM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
I often ride without a helmet,
howver NEVER ride without eye protection.
for years, I wore a pair of yellow B&L shooting glasses (real glass, glasses).
they covered my face well, didn't seem to fog up much and were comfortable.
Only down side, riding in mixed shadows- seemed like depth of field perception
was slightly altered.
Old 11-04-20, 08:42 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
My eyesight is far from good, so I must wear rx glasses, which I use with clip on, flip up sunglasses. I see posts like this from time to time, and wonder if anyone has tried using glasses with non-rx lenses and clip on sunglasses, which can easily be flipped up? The combo of my glasses, with clip on sunglasses has worked well for me, particularly in the woods.

Last edited by freeranger; 11-04-20 at 08:49 AM.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 11-06-20, 04:48 PM
70sSanO

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
- Clear is for night time, pre-dawn, and shaded/wooded riding.
- Amber is best for diffuse light, particularly in overcast or gently raining conditions
- Darkened lenses for direct sunlight.

Amber is also good for night driving in rain with all of reflected/refracted odd lighting.
Decided to take your advice and got a couple pairs of these in clear..
https://www.ergodyne.com/skullerz-sk...y-glasses.html

Tried them out today and they work great for trail use where there are shadows.

Thanks!

John