Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1974 Raleigh Professional MkIV Covid Build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-21, 07:48 AM
75lechamp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane LeChampion (silver lilac), 1974 Motobecane Grand Jubile (red/black); 1975 Motobecane Team Champion (orange); 1982 Pinarello Professional (Exorcist Green); 1974 Raleigh Professional MkIV mink blue, 1974 Motobecane Grand Record blk/red

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 172 Posts

This is one of my grail bikes.... I once had a '72 Pro, which was excellent, but really too big a frame for me at 23 1/2" so I let it go. This one was acquired recently from a great guy who had it set up a bit more modern-style, with a very nice wheel set including a pair of C Record low flange hubs and Mavic SUP rims, and a modern saddle. My aim on this build is to nudge it back in time to 1974 as much as possible, and it will be a ride, not a hanger, so here we go...

'74 Pro, original paint

One thing I noticed about this bike was when I put on some Newbaum's teal bar tape, it really made the very slight green tint of the Mink Blue come out. Not correct, but I like it.... Notice I have put a temporary set of wheels on it, Mavic SSC bleu with low flange records... hoods on the NR levers are repos

It came with a nice set of Giro D'Italias (old logo) with a 1A (new logo), but I looked for and found the original GB bars and 3TTT Record with the 25.4 clamp to match. I love the look of these polished up, but might take some getting used to the narrow width...

'74 date stamp NR, came with a bent upper limit screw, so getting a replacement....

love the fastback stay..

'74 date stamped crank... Carlton sticker might be replaced with a new repro...

Correct pre-CPSC calipers...

Had a nice '73 dated Pro to put on.... though I think maybe in '74 they had the Team Pro (big rivets)?

Next task will be to build the wheels - thanks to Lynn for the AVA rims, will be mated to these high flange '75 dates on the locknuts. Need to locate a rear flat blade skewer....
Likes For 75lechamp:
Old 04-18-21, 08:31 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I've been wondering what color Newbaums I should order for my '72.
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 04-18-21, 11:25 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Nice work and a beautiful bike. Newbaums light blue.
Old 04-18-21, 12:02 PM
75lechamp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane LeChampion (silver lilac), 1974 Motobecane Grand Jubile (red/black); 1975 Motobecane Team Champion (orange); 1982 Pinarello Professional (Exorcist Green); 1974 Raleigh Professional MkIV mink blue, 1974 Motobecane Grand Record blk/red

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 172 Posts
Yes, I got the light blue as well and also the gray. I think I will stick with teal for now