Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When can we expect the gluttony of bikes to go on sale on Craigslist?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

When can we expect the gluttony of bikes to go on sale on Craigslist?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-21, 07:05 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
Surely this is a ticking time bomb awaiting to happen. I want to get a highend XC full suspension mtb, and I keep hoping for the hordes to start selling. Do you think it will happen in the Fall?
They usually are hung in the garage for 5 years, and then sold at a garage sale for $40.
Old 06-22-21, 07:43 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
They usually are hung in the garage for 5 years, and then sold at a garage sale for $40.
Along with the exercise machines which were used to hang clothes on for 5 years.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 06-22-21, 08:47 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
No less would be expected of a man with a Pogo quotation for his signature line.
Pogo quotation? Man we really are old!
Tim
Old 06-22-21, 08:50 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Along with the exercise machines which were used to hang clothes on for 5 years.
Very true. Several years ago I bought a treadmill for my wife. I bought an $800 machine at a garage sale for $50.
Old 06-22-21, 09:00 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
All the 2020 Bikes wont come out for sale until the next Bike shortage.
Then they'll be dusted off and placed for sale in the hope of covering most of the original cost.
I was around for the '70s bike boom. Has there been a bike boom since then? I vaguely recall there being a mini boom due to the success of U.S. Postal, but I don't think there were shortages that reached the level that they were known to the general public like now or in the early '70s. But the industry really responded to the '70s shortages by adding production capacity. Don't think that's happening now.

So my point being waiting 50 years to unload your 2020 pandemic impulse bike buy might not be the best investment.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-22-21, 09:38 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
No less would be expected of a man with a Pogo quotation for his signature line.
Every time I see his Pogo quotation signature, I remind myself to find one of my own... I think it would be hilarious if lots of us did it.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 06-22-21, 10:15 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I loved pogo when I was a kid, even though a lot of it was over my head. The only one I use nowadays is the running gag about Friday the 13th happening on a different day. For example, next month Friday the 13th is going to happen on Tuesday.
Old 06-22-21, 10:57 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
They're all e-bikes and the batteries will be toast; I expect they'll go to the dump.
Maybe this might happen. Maybe people will repack battery packs that will increase range. Over the long run, ebike prices will go down and capabilities will increase and get better. Why would you want an old ebike? Because you can afford it. I think ebikes will be like computers more than bicycles. Why? Because the electrical aspects will improve. The ebike is in its infancy stage of development. Expectations will increase forcing bicycle manufacturers to up their game? Increase in features, range, speed, drives, brakes, drive train. We will see.
Old 06-22-21, 01:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Every time I see his Pogo quotation signature, I remind myself to find one of my own... I think it would be hilarious if lots of us did it.
Every Christmas when we're together, my family sings "Deck Us All with Boston Charlie".

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-22-21, 04:25 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
Maybe this might happen. Maybe people will repack battery packs that will increase range. Over the long run, ebike prices will go down and capabilities will increase and get better. Why would you want an old ebike? Because you can afford it. I think ebikes will be like computers more than bicycles. Why? Because the electrical aspects will improve. The ebike is in its infancy stage of development. Expectations will increase forcing bicycle manufacturers to up their game? Increase in features, range, speed, drives, brakes, drive train. We will see.
There's two technologies that have blown open e-bikes. One is lithium batteries, obviously, and the other is brushless motors. I was racing R/C cars 15 years ago and saw this start to happen. It's hardly bikes alone. Cordless power tools are probably a much bigger market. But lithium and brushless are really at their limit already for performance. The changes going forward will be in price. If a company really wants to get customer loyalty and stay in the market for decades they will need to establish and maintain a standard. I have 20 year old Ryobi cordless power tools that came with nicads, that I'm still using today with lithium batteries, because they have made it easy to stay in the ecosystem, with new batteries that are compatible with the old tools, new chargers that will charge both kinds of batteries, different battery sizes that both work, etc. But the more complicated the head unit gets, the more unlikely it is for anyone but a dedicated hobbyist to shoehorn in a new style battery and last decade's cell phone app to run the thing. And then it's more like computers and the old ones go straight to the landfill
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 06-22-21 at 04:39 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 06-22-21, 04:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy

Worst idea ever.
Old 06-22-21, 04:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Every Christmas when we're together, my family sings "Deck Us All with Boston Charlie".
Diller dollar cauliflower.
Old 06-22-21, 04:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Diller dollar cauliflower.
Allegaroo.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-22-21, 04:56 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
I often joked this time last year that I hoped to pick up a nice carbon fiber bike when the people that bought them during COVID decided the didn't really like cycling. So far CL doesn't show them going up for grabs here. Even if they were, the only way I think one will find a bargain is if someone's wife sells it for what he told her he paid.

Old 06-22-21, 05:19 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
More likely the case that the "improvements" will be more stringent regulations after this current shockwave of new tech has seasoned in a bit. Hefty safety implementation to limit speed, throttling acceleration capabilities, wattage/amp limiters, age restrictions enforced, ORV cert requirements, the whole 9ner. Should that all happen, the hoard of regular bicycles will continue on & those lurking for a cheap karbun deal will be waiting a while longer... Might have to settle for a shattered frame.
Old 06-22-21, 07:08 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Last year was crazy. Bikes disappeared from CL and FBM within hours. I still was able to find a great deal in my size. This year it is the opposite in my area. The housing market has gone crazy instead. You only need one, or maybe a few for some of us.
Old 06-23-21, 08:02 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
In like 5 years is my guess.