Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Rear light for Brompton for rear rack

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 08-30-21, 03:40 PM
ciclista_pazza

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute, Yokota mountain bike (199?), 1979 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts

I have a new Brompton and since i have the Brompton cover bag hanging from the saddle, I need a rear light that affixes to the rear rack (since the cover bag would cover up a light attached to the saddle). The bike shop I bought the Brompton from sold me a rear light by Solo that is the one shown here - https://www.perennialcycle.com/batte...-bro-1002.html - this light is one of the most absurd things I've ever seen. If you see that link I posted and see the images for this light, you can see that for some unknown reason, it only lights up on the very bottom portion of the light and apparently the remainder of it is a reflector. This is kind of ridiculous and to make it worse, it requires a battery and is made so that it's almost impossible to remove the cover to get to the batteries. The bike shop put it on before I bought it and I didn't realize until I got the bike home. Now I'm trying to figure out an alternative.

Can anyone recommend alternative rear lights that would work on the rear rack and that ideally have a USB charging option? Thanks.
Old 08-30-21, 10:02 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 50 Posts
It might look a bit odd if you’re used to removable rear lights, but they do work quite well based on my experience of a similar model. Their battery life is also pretty good with only one LED to operate, so replacing the AA cells isn’t really a frequent operation. I would give it a go and see how you find it. I’ve not come across a USB charged version before.

Otherwise, you can get a rack adaptor for the Cateye style clip on light, and attach one there as and when required.

I can show you either option on 20” folders if that helps?
Likes For Reddleman:
Old 09-01-21, 05:37 PM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
I believe it is for law (depending on where you are) to have a reflector in the front and rear. Having a battery lit one covers both with one fixture. Oddly, for the last few years, I've been the actual opposite of you. As USB lights have been flooding the market, I'd been resisting. For touring/bikepacking, an AA/AAA battery run light for the rear rack is what I wanted, instead of having to throw out USB LiPo/Ion lights once the batteries are done. I could buy alkaline batteries easily if my NiMH batteries are dead. Environmentally and practically, it's not great. However, those are lowered powered LEDs, and in the daytime, they aren't very visible. As I commute/ride more and more in some unlit roads, I finally broke down and got a Cygolite Hypershot 350 Pro, which is super bright with 2 LEDs and is MicroUSB charged. It's super bright for daytime use and has a bunch of flashing modes, which again depending on where you are, could be illegal. You will need to get the Cygolite rear rack mounting adapter for it too.
Originally Posted by ciclista_pazza
I have a new Brompton and since i have the Brompton cover bag hanging from the saddle, I need a rear light that affixes to the rear rack (since the cover bag would cover up a light attached to the saddle). The bike shop I bought the Brompton from sold me a rear light by Solo that is the one shown here - https://www.perennialcycle.com/batte...-bro-1002.html - this light is one of the most absurd things I've ever seen. If you see that link I posted and see the images for this light, you can see that for some unknown reason, it only lights up on the very bottom portion of the light and apparently the remainder of it is a reflector. This is kind of ridiculous and to make it worse, it requires a battery and is made so that it's almost impossible to remove the cover to get to the batteries. The bike shop put it on before I bought it and I didn't realize until I got the bike home. Now I'm trying to figure out an alternative.

Can anyone recommend alternative rear lights that would work on the rear rack and that ideally have a USB charging option? Thanks.
Likes For Sardines:
Old 09-02-21, 12:24 PM
ciclista_pazza

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute, Yokota mountain bike (199?), 1979 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte

Originally Posted by Reddleman
It might look a bit odd if you’re used to removable rear lights, but they do work quite well based on my experience of a similar model. Their battery life is also pretty good with only one LED to operate, so replacing the AA cells isn’t really a frequent operation. I would give it a go and see how you find it. I’ve not come across a USB charged version before.

Otherwise, you can get a rack adaptor for the Cateye style clip on light, and attach one there as and when required.

I can show you either option on 20” folders if that helps?
Thanks! Sorry not to reply sooner. I only sometimes get notifications that I got a response but not other times. Do you know how to remove the batteries on that light? I can't figure out how to open it and am afraid of damaging the light (as I have done this in the past when unsure how to get a light open).
Old 09-02-21, 12:25 PM
ciclista_pazza

Originally Posted by Sardines
I believe it is for law (depending on where you are) to have a reflector in the front and rear. Having a battery lit one covers both with one fixture. Oddly, for the last few years, I've been the actual opposite of you. As USB lights have been flooding the market, I'd been resisting. For touring/bikepacking, an AA/AAA battery run light for the rear rack is what I wanted, instead of having to throw out USB LiPo/Ion lights once the batteries are done. I could buy alkaline batteries easily if my NiMH batteries are dead. Environmentally and practically, it's not great. However, those are lowered powered LEDs, and in the daytime, they aren't very visible. As I commute/ride more and more in some unlit roads, I finally broke down and got a Cygolite Hypershot 350 Pro, which is super bright with 2 LEDs and is MicroUSB charged. It's super bright for daytime use and has a bunch of flashing modes, which again depending on where you are, could be illegal. You will need to get the Cygolite rear rack mounting adapter for it too.
Thanks! Do you know if this "Cygolite Rack Mount for Hotshot" here - https://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Rack.../dp/B009VUB0Q8 would work with that Hypershot light?
Old 09-02-21, 03:33 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 50 Posts
As a fixed rear light by Spanninga, the cover unclips from the black back when you change the batteries - details are shown here: https://brilliantbikes.co.uk/brompto...ear-light.html

The adaptor you linked is the kind that works with most clip on lights, I use a similar one on another bike with an old Cannondale branded led rear light that I picked up somewhere.
Likes For Reddleman:
Old 09-02-21, 04:55 PM
ciclista_pazza

Originally Posted by Reddleman
As a fixed rear light by Spanninga, the cover unclips from the black back when you change the batteries - details are shown here: https://brilliantbikes.co.uk/brompto...ear-light.html

The adaptor you linked is the kind that works with most clip on lights, I use a similar one on another bike with an old Cannondale branded led rear light that I picked up somewhere.
That's very helpful. Thanks very much!
Old 09-02-21, 10:01 PM
Sardines

Yes. That's it.
Thanks! Do you know if this "Cygolite Rack Mount for Hotshot" here - https://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Rack.../dp/B009VUB0Q8 would work with that Hypershot light?
Likes For Sardines:
Old 09-03-21, 09:14 AM
bee-man

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Cateye has a product for rear racks (mentioned by Reddleman):

https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/parts/5445620/

If this bracket can be used in place of the reflector, then you will have a healthy selection of safety lights to choose from Cateye (scroll down in link).

​​​​​​I do not have a rack on my Brompton, but I replaced my rear reflector with this bracket and a rapid mini rechargeable light. Super easy to remove & install for charging. Love it.​​​

Last edited by bee-man; 09-03-21 at 10:05 AM.
Likes For bee-man:
Old 09-03-21, 10:19 AM
ciclista_pazza

Yes. That's it.
Thanks!
Old 09-03-21, 10:20 AM
ciclista_pazza

Originally Posted by bee-man
Cateye has a product for rear racks (mentioned by Reddleman):

https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/parts/5445620/

If this bracket can be used in place of the reflector, then you will have a healthy selection of safety lights to choose from Cateye (scroll down in link).

​​​​​​I do not have a rack on my Brompton, but I replaced my rear reflector with this bracket and a rapid mini rechargeable light. Super easy to remove & install for charging. Love it.​​​
Thanks! This is very helpful!
Old 09-04-21, 09:46 AM
Sardines

That's very helpful. Thanks very much!
Now that you've solved that riddle, I think you should be happy with that. Personally I think LiIon/Po battery powered lights are basically throwaway lights, and in this day and age, that's ridiculous. If you must have a flashing light, then consider changing it. Personally as a car driver, hyper bright flashing lights are annoying, but I do see the biker. So I want that visibility too!
Old 01-31-22, 09:40 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Personally I think LiIon/Po battery powered lights are basically throwaway lights, and in this day and age, that's ridiculous.
If you must have a flashing light, then consider changing it. Personally as a car driver, hyper bright flashing lights are annoying, but I do see the biker. So I want that visibility too!
I hate dead electronics,
so often carry a spare power pack/usb battery for the phone and found it will get my lights and bike comp recharged as well.
it's easy to recharge at stops as well. Creative cheapskates like me can replace rechargeables,
but AA/AAA lights don't seem to outlast the USB ones in my experience (leaks/swithces/drops)

Flashing lights are annoying, but that's what gets them noticed, especially up front.
Too bright is too bright, and nicer taillights have a peloton setting (meh)
I think it is the novelty in them that helps get them noticed as well.

The Brommie is a pain to put Taillights on , so a hat/helmet mount works best for me

Last edited by bikebikebike; 01-31-22 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-01-22, 08:13 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
I was looking at the official Brompton rear lamp mounted w/o a rack.

It looks like it's much too low and would mostly shine on the rear brake and fender/mudguard. What am I missing?

Old 02-07-22, 07:06 PM
CEBEP

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Looks to be an old thread but I'll share my experiences nevertheless. I found battery lights not suitable for my needs. I need to remember to charge them. So I decided to invest in high quality dynamo setup. Went with SON all around, dynamo wheel, from Edelux II and SON rear light. Install and forget. No servicing is required, while setup is water proof.

​​​​​While rear light is very bright it doesn't have blinking mode. Beside being annoying to anyone riding behind you, in total darkness it's almost impossible for a car driver behind you to calculate a distance based on blinking light. Hence blinking lights are prohibited in Germany for example.
​​​​​​

​​​​
Old 02-10-22, 02:04 AM
bee-man

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
I was looking at the official Brompton rear lamp mounted w/o a rack.

It looks like it's much too low and would mostly shine on the rear brake and fender/mudguard. What am I missing?

It is true. Though not ideal, I think my rapid mini is able to be seen.

Likes For bee-man: