Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear wheel noise problem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rear wheel noise problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-21, 12:27 AM
FlyBikeYiyke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear wheel noise problem

Hello everyone,
My rear wheel makes a noise like a wind chime when I start pedaling,but once I speed up above 15kmh I can not hear it anymore.
Also if there is extra weight on the bike the noise is more prominent.
Could it be the spokes or maybe something else?
Thanks
Old 09-05-21, 08:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
If it has a musical tone then spokes would be my first suspicion. Either something rubbing them or just flexing from the re-distribution of forces as the bike rolls. Maybe they need to be re-tensioned.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-06-21, 12:13 AM
FlyBikeYiyke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If it has a musical tone then spokes would be my first suspicion. Either something rubbing them or just flexing from the re-distribution of forces as the bike rolls. Maybe they need to be re-tensioned.
I did end up getting a spoke key and re-tensioned them and applied lubrication,but unfortunately the "melody" still persists.Thanks anyway i will keep on investigating.
Old 09-06-21, 12:42 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Spokes are too loose. Try tensioning again, with the tires and tubes fully inflated to pressure.
Old 09-06-21, 10:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
@canklecat recently said in another thread that he puts wax or paraffin on the intersection of the spokes of one of his wheels to keep it quiet. In this case I think because he was getting a thunk on one or several. But if spokes are your issue, then that might actually help quiet them and is easy to try. Or just temporarily put some pieces of thin cardboard between them just to remember child hood antics with bikes and also see if that eliminates your sound.

Though I've never hear it as musical tones, some higher end cassettes seem to make an odd sound from what the lower tier heavy stuff makes. Is perhaps your DR alignment slightly off and the chain clattering on a cog?
Old 09-06-21, 03:01 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto the above, and check to be sure the spokes weren't twisted while tightening the spoke nipples. Easy to do and not even notice. As we ride the twisted spokes will try to straighten and it'll sound kinda like a pinging or chiming noise. Depends on the entire wheel build, tire and frame -- some resonate more than others.