Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1973-1/2 Motobecane Grand Jubile

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-21, 04:19 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts

Member @Dylansbob gave me a great deal on this early Grand Jubile that predates the 74 catalog. It didn't look real pretty but it was undamaged and nearly completely original. My best guess (with the help of some BF members) is that there was a transition period before all the spec components were available for the new model and dealers used what they had. The parts list was a combo of the Grand Touring and Grand Record from 73. The GR got moved up and the GJ was inserted between the two. The GR was 531 main tubes and became 531 throughout. The GJ took over the 531 main tube position in the lineup, so it's the GR frame from before 74. Some other clues to the age: Campy dropouts, script font, chrome crown and foil head badge. The wheels, hubs, RD and brakes are not original, but given the grey-ness of time period I'm not too concerned. The brakes are the correct model but about a decade early. Also fitted a Huret Jubilee RD because it seemed appropriate. I would love to find Weinmann/Normandy wheelset to finish it.

Likes For droppedandlost:
Old 09-06-21, 04:52 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Oooh, that's a purdy one!
Old 09-06-21, 06:00 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

the head emblem shows it to be transitional as well

for 1974 it would have been the round one affixed with with two fasteners

what was the OEM saddle? me recollection is T&B 80

first one of this sort have run across

can recall going to look at them at me local for the nominal 1974 launch

wanted one but am squarely betwixt sizes; the 58 a bit large and the 54 a bit small

wonderful she has found a fine home with you!

-----
Old 09-06-21, 06:29 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Ya it looks pretty now. Neat Weinmann 999s. I shoulda swapped the Jubile derailleurs on one of my GJ flips. The buyers had no idea what they were getting. They shift a 5 speed with an old Sachs chain so smoothly.
Old 09-06-21, 07:32 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----
what was the OEM saddle? me recollection is T&B 80

-----
Hard to say for sure. The catalog is non-specific below the Grand Record (Brooks Pro). This one has an Ideale 80, which shows up in the catalog in '76.
Old 09-07-21, 07:11 AM
Econops

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
That is a beautiful bike! I'm new to the forum but I had to make an account for this. I recently picked up a very similar GJ and I've been trying to figure out the year. I bought it from the original owner but he couldn't remember the year! He thought it was a 73 or 74.

The Campy dropouts are what confuse me. The 74 catalog says they should be Huret? It does have the original Jubile drivetrain though. And unlike yours, mine has the round headtube badge that's riveted on. The crankset looks a little different too, but the owner said he might have changed that.
Old 09-07-21, 07:36 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
Hard to say for sure. The catalog is non-specific below the Grand Record (Brooks Pro). This one has an Ideale 80, which shows up in the catalog in '76.
-----

thanks very much for the response!

T&B is shorthand for Tron et Berthet, the maker of BIM, Ideale, NOREX, etc. products

-----
Old 09-07-21, 08:27 PM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Your bike looks like it pre-dates the '74 I bought new in '74 for these reasons: my '74 had a different fork crown (not chrome); block, not script font on the down tube; and round metal headtube badge. Mine also had Campy rear dropouts. It was silver with red panels. I dont remember the brand of saddle I had but it had a suede texture to it.

The red with black panel (like yours) '75 I have is my favorite to ride out of all seven of my '75 and earlier Motos (2 GJ, 4 GR, 1 LC). I have swapped out the original Huret Jubilee derailleur ensemble for a Huret DuoPar RD, unknown Sun Tour FD and Sun Tour bar ends. I also swapped out the Stronglight 49 crank for a Stronglight 99 with a 36 tooth small sprocket. The rear sprocket is a 6 gear 14-30, just barely outside the capacity of the Jubilee RD.

Great riding bike, as anyone who owns one will attest to.

Last edited by motogeek; 09-07-21 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-07-21, 10:23 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Nice. Too bad there isn't more historical background on the Ben Lawee era of Motobecane imports to the US. Might be some interesting minutiae in there.
Old 09-08-21, 01:37 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
The GR got moved up and the GJ was inserted between the two. The GR was 531 main tubes and became 531 throughout. The GJ took over the 531 main tube position in the lineup, so it's the GR frame from before 74.
I'm really intrigued by the differences between the three models -- GJ, GR, and Le Champion -- for all the years they were made. And no one has yet to convince me what the hell is going on. The specs pages from the Bulgier catalogs for both the tubing and wheel size should give us some really good clues.

​​​​​​The '74 catalog page below does show the GR with 700c wheels. But only the '76 and '77 catalogs show the model as 531 "throughout."

Old 09-09-21, 12:46 AM
sincos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts

Gorgeous bike. I used to think I liked the black and red ones best, but I think red and black might be even better. I just found one myself and am currently cleaning it up, though it's not in such good shape.

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I'm really intrigued by the differences between the three models -- GJ, GR, and Le Champion -- for all the years they were made. And no one has yet to convince me what the hell is going on. The specs pages from the Bulgier catalogs for both the tubing and wheel size should give us some really good clues.
TWIUI (which is probably wrong) MB had three lines: Professional, for pros; Grand Record/Jubile/Touring for serious non-pros; and for normal people (Mirage, Nomade, etc). The GR was for the amateur racer, the GJ (eyelets, space for larger tires and fenders) for the Randonee/PBP crowd, the GT for real touring. That's my guess anyway.