Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Drivetrain warranty coverage

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-21, 07:39 AM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

I just wrote an article at https://www.downtube.com/pages/bicyc...anty-coverage/ . I discuss warranty coverage from Shimano, Sturmey Archer & Sun Race, and Microshift. I thought some of you may enjoy reading.

Essentially I think it is impossible to get any warranty replacements from Sturmey Archer & Sun Race, while the others are very good.

Thanks,
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Likes For downtube:
Old 09-10-21, 01:21 AM
un.passant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you for the write-up !
This kind of information is hard to get for people who do not have enough experience with various companies.
You did not write about Gates, which reminded me of this post:

the belt snapped while I was at a junction on a major road (Gates, the belt maker, says the fault is with the bike design, which doesn't allow the wheel to be moved forward so the belt can be removed without twisting it).
Do you think that Gates is right in blaming the bike's frame designer ? This seems such a stupid mistake !
To think that I nearly bought one !
Should the fact that I cannot see a gap in front of the rear hub axle have been a red flag ?

N

No gap in front of the Vello rear hub axle ?
Gap in front of the rear hub axle on my gorgeous new bike ☺

Luckily, I found much better bang for the buck and it seems that the designer of my brand new Alfine 11 & belt drive folding bike was much smarter than that
However, the fact that choosing a belt drive meant comitting to the one supplier (Gates) did make me a bit nervous, so your feedback on them would be appreciated.

Best Regards.
Old 09-10-21, 06:13 AM
downtube

I dealt with Gates on two warranty items in the past decade. They replaced everything with no questions asked. I thought they were great.

Thanks,
Yan
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 09-16-21, 07:33 AM
downtube

I've been adding Blog entries at an amazing rate. Essentially, I neglected it for a long time, and I'm making up for lost time. Would anyone like to help write articles? I know a few things about bikes, but many members are amazingly knowledgeable. You would get full credit for your work....unfortunately there would not be any financial compensation. Anyone interested?

Thanks,
Yan