Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

That's the fact Jack

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

That's the fact Jack

Old 09-16-21, 06:42 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
If that's a Park Tool pin wrench you can order replacement pins, same thing happened to me last year.
Old 09-16-21, 09:05 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 253 Posts
Congratulations on a great find! Poor little orphan bike deserved a good home. My 1st look reaction: "Poor baby, lets get you cleaned up" Don
Old 09-16-21, 10:02 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
I like the Strada 175, but my build needs to be go geezer. 170 triple and a Rallly with a GS front to handle the three ringer. I've had these for a while just waiting for the right time to use.

I think I have a bb, I'll have to dive a little deeper in bin to find it.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 09-16-21, 11:24 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
My compressor doesn't have the capacity for air tools so I use a ROTO ZIP with the flex shaft attachment. It has paid for itself about 3 times over.
Well then you need a bigger compressor, they have those at harbor freight too.

That air tool is pretty stingy on air but does take a fair bit.

You could increase your reservoir capacity with another tank from another scrapped compressor or probably out dated propane tank.

Sounds like the Rotozip is a great alternative.
Old 09-17-21, 07:43 AM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I like the Strada 175, but my build needs to be go geezer. 170 triple and a Rallly with a GS front to handle the three ringer. I've had these for a while just waiting for the right time to use.
I never noticed the gear use markings on the Rally long cage before, that's really cool...and convenient. I'm really enjoying this thread. Great find.
Likes For velomateo:
Old 09-18-21, 11:22 AM
Mr. 66

Originally Posted by velomateo
I never noticed the gear use markings on the Rally long cage before, that's really cool...and convenient. I'm really enjoying this thread. Great find.
Thanks!
Old 09-18-21, 12:01 PM
Mr. 66

Originally Posted by scarlson
The Taylors originally had a paint guy who would do box lining with a brush. He either retired or died at some point, and Jack took over the box lining, using the roller of which you speak. I don't know exactly when the transition occurred, but you can probably tell if yours was done with a brush or a roller. Jack was the paint guy, but Norman mostly did the brazing and Ken was wheelbuilder and assembler.
I'm sure that my JT was done by brush, it has fats and skinnies on the box lines.

I was able to find some time yesterday and was able to clean and grease the headset. The HS grease was getting thick it would have been just as well if I did a couple of drops of oil, but given the age it's better off with new.

I started to match the details of the original parts with my spare auto paint. You can see the red directing the eye away from from the scrung that is the remaining paint.

The panto on the calipers is original to my purchase.

I've also started the the polishing of the rims, they need some true still usable. No dents very minor hop in the rear wheel, some runout side to side.

Can not see it in the picture but one of the crank bolts has been double die stamped, if it was US coin it would be worth something. I pantograph those just as the original were.

And for those that are of wonder, the serial number is 6459. With a seatpost size of 26.8, the post is the worst I've ever seen it will be scrapped for parts. I'm going to need a post that is slightly longer for this frame, which sucks cause I have 26.8 in Campy. I'll find something European if possible, if not I'll breakdown and use Sugino.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 09-18-21, 12:21 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
Wow! Are those oil nipples on the Head Tube and Bottom Bracket?

I have never seen a Jack Taylor up close...

Oh... Thank you for posting your progress on this restoration.

Last edited by zandoval; 09-18-21 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-18-21, 03:31 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Mr. 66 just a quick note about that saddle. While the skin on top of it may be wasted, there's often a matching black plastic saddle underneath. Degloving the saddle can lead to having a functional, UNICA saddle.

My Behringer has a sample of the plastic you (should?) finder underneath: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...behringer.html

And here's one like yours with skin intact I donated to Henry III, to which he repurposed: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ara-sauce.html

Old 09-24-21, 01:20 PM
Mr. 66

Originally Posted by francophile
Mr. 66 just a quick note about that saddle. While the skin on top of it may be wasted, there's often a matching black plastic saddle underneath. Degloving the saddle can lead to having a functional, UNICA saddle.

My Behringer has a sample of the plastic you (should?) finder underneath: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...behringer.html

And here's one like yours with skin intact I donated to Henry III, to which he repurposed: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ara-sauce.html
Thanks I'll have to take a deeper look at it.

I did have a little progress. I went after the heavily oxidized rims. I put some wheel cleaner to them. That didn't do much, it did take the dirt off, most of it. The cleaner did help soften the crystalline glue on the groove, the glue shattered off with some 1 steel wool, that left a fresh surface for new treads. Then I drug some 0000 steel wool on the box sections and the brass nipples on the front. The back nipples got the wool as well they just didn't need the same effort as the front. After that I brought out the drill and polishing wheel mounted put some bling back to the thing.

The hubs themselves got some detail work, I did have to solvent a tooth brush to work the hard grease encrusting the surface. Cleaned that off and pulled the rubbing compound off the shelf to finish off my that time. I inspected the bearings, hell that grease was almost white. I closed them back up, that grease is better than what I have in my toolbox. The cones are marked as 1972 matching the rear derailleur.

With the wheels now cleaned I felt good about stretching some tires on.

The saddle pictured is an Ideal 80? It's pretty crusty, it needs somebody shaping. I may or my not use it for the Taylor, I'm not real confident in it being usable.

The seatpost is a Sugino, I feel dirty, but it will work. The bottom bracket is still being elusive, I tried a Specialized. The stays are not dimpled, this may put a kink in my plan of using the triple, and maintaining a correct chainline. I sure hope it's fine, I have the Campy somewhere in bag with some track bb spindles cause the use the same cup.

Last edited by Mr. 66; 09-24-21 at 01:25 PM.
Likes For Mr. 66: