Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hi from Southern California

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Old 09-17-21, 02:09 PM
mikeymichaels
Bonking Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums. I've been bicycling since childhood, but road cycling for about 11 years now, with 2-3 years of minimal riding in there. I try to start my rides from home, so mostly in Orange County and Los Angeles County. Currently, my favorite rides are (in no particular order): Glendora Mountain Road, Glendora Ridge Road, Mt Baldy Road, San Gabriel Canyon Road, Carbon Canyon Road, Santa Ana River Trail, Pacific Coast Highway, and any local hills/climbs I discover. But I do enjoy trying new routes regularly and I'll ride any route as long as I can do it from home.

I tried to add photos of my bike but I first need 10 posts
Old 09-17-21, 02:20 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Hello and Welcome.
2009 Toured in CA Loved it.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 09-17-21 at 02:45 PM. Reason: add pic
Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 09-17-21, 02:33 PM
mikeymichaels
Bonking Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Hello and Welcome.
2009 Toured in CA Loved it.
Awesome!
Old 09-17-21, 02:56 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4831 Post(s)
Liked 7,821 Times in 3,705 Posts
Welcome for BF! Descending GMR is probably my #1 favorite section of road in So Cal.
Old 09-19-21, 05:02 PM
mikeymichaels
Bonking Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eric F
Welcome for BF! Descending GMR is probably my #1 favorite section of road in So Cal.
That and GRR for me!
Old 09-20-21, 02:23 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
howdy! since you mentioned mt. baldy rd, gmr/grr, et al, sounds like you're game for pretty much anything. some great roads in our neck of the woods.

always nice to ride from home but occasionally, it's nice to take the train or car and hit new/infrequent stuff. from la/oc:

mountains behind santa barbara with refugio rd, fig(ueroa) mountain, gibraltar rd, east camino cielo and old san marcos/painted cave rd are all essential experiences.

a little closer out of ojai, there's sulphur mtn rd (6 miles or so of hard packed dirt along the way) and ca hwy 33 (maybe my fave climb in socal). there's the old ridge route
north of santa clarita which is epic and historic and low traffic. the sammos (santa monica mountains) are chock full of climbs, twists, turns and beach interface.

hollywood hills have some steep bleep in there along with crazy houses/architecture. angeles national forest not only has better known stuff like gmr/grr, baldy, mt. wilson
and the climb up ca hwy 39 to the crystal lake store but also worthy investigations like the big and little tujunga canyon rides, mount gleason and greater than/less than ride
from valyermo to wrightwood then up to dawson saddle and back.

san bernardino mountains have the usual flattish ride around big bear and baldwin lakes along with the loooong
ascent of ca hwy 38 from mentone up damnation alley (short, hard day into forest falls or the oak glen variations-or both!) up to angelus oaks and beyond to the highest
public paved road in socal topping out at onyx summit. the san berdoos make it rain with climbs up ca hwy 18/old waterman canyon rd or ca hwy 173 up to the
crestline/lake gregory/blue jay/lake arrowhead area along with maybe possibly just my humble opinion of the most sublime stretch of riding in socal...ca hwy 18 from
lucerne valley...once you are "properly introduced" to the mountains after approx five miles all the way up to the steep pass, drop down to baldwin lake and ride either the north or south side
(they both have their charms) of baldwin lake (but cross over to the north side of big bear lake after baldwin), then the north shore of big bear lake towards the lake viewpoint summit with
the wiggles and cliffs...then drop down to arrowbear and running springs. stay on ca hwy 18 and avoid dropping down ca hwy 330. continue the generally undulating downwards trend
past santa's village and the turnoff to lake arrowhead/gregory and descend the 18 into san bernardino. requires a car shuttle unless you wanna ride a lot of meh miles and deal with
the insanity of cajon pass.

add in ca hwy 243 from banning and ca hwy 74 from hemet...both/either heading up to idyllwild, the main divide rd south of the summit of ca hwy 74 to the clinton keith rd/de luz/fallbrook area,
palomar mtn/lilac rd/montezuma grade/mesa grande area accompanied by the cuyamaca/laguna backcountry area in san diego...there's a bit of decent riding to be had outside of the
comfort zone. if you think it's far from you, imagine driving to it from the dtown san diego area. a lot of it isn't that far but may require an early weekday/weekend start to
minimize traffic. enjoy!

Last edited by diphthong; 09-20-21 at 02:36 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-20-21, 08:41 AM
mikeymichaels
Bonking Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
always nice to ride from home but occasionally, it's nice to take the train or car and hit new/infrequent stuff. from la/oc:
Thanks for the suggestions! Some of the routes you mentioned have been on my radar too: Big Bear, Palomar Mountain, Idyllwild, and the Santa Monica Mountains.

I did try the 39 up to the Crystal Lake store a few times but it was repaved recently and somehow seems worse now, like riding on a washboard. I’ve also explored a little bit of the Tujunga Canyons.

I’ll try to check out the routes you’ve mentioned!
Old 09-20-21, 11:43 AM
charlie_boy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome
Likes For charlie_boy:
Old 09-29-21, 01:04 PM
chuck mili