Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-21, 10:13 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

All captions are embedded

You really gotta try the Queens Boulevard Bike Lane , and take the Queensborough Bridge into Manhattan. Absolutely awesome.
Old 08-22-21, 10:34 AM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
28,000 miles.

They are not corroded, just need a dab of fresh paint. Maybe over the winter when I overhaul the bike.
28,000 miles… Here are some 42,000 mile stem bolts…..

Hmmm, that sure looks like rust forming on exposes metal. What do you call that if not corrosion? I’m sure you can clean it up and some black paint will make them blend into the background.. It just seems like for all the attention to other parts on the bike, a little detail like that would ruin it for me.
Old 08-22-21, 11:02 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Hopped on the Massapequa trail with the kids and another family from Star Track, we got in 20 miles. Bethpage was closed for staging for the storm but they were letting riders and runners through on the trail.
Old 08-22-21, 01:04 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
28,000 miles… Here are some 42,000 mile stem bolts…..

Hmmm, that sure looks like rust forming on exposes metal. What do you call that if not corrosion? I’m sure you can clean it up and some black paint will make them blend into the background.. It just seems like for all the attention to other parts on the bike, a little detail like that would ruin it for me.
It's purely cosmetic. The strength of the hardware is not compromised. I regular check the torque with a torque wrench. The bolts are not steel so it's not rust, just oxidation.

But thank you for your concern, I also take my safety very seriously.

As to yours, I can show you the cap bolts on my Cannondale. They're chrome like yours and I regularly ride it in rain and show and throughout the winter and they look new.
Old 08-22-21, 01:46 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
It's purely cosmetic. The strength of the hardware is not compromised. I regular check the torque with a torque wrench. The bolts are not steel so it's not rust, just oxidation.

But thank you for your concern, I also take my safety very seriously.

As to yours, I can show you the cap bolts on my Cannondale. They're chrome like yours and I regularly ride it in rain and show and throughout the winter and they look new.
Glad to hear you are safe and it’s just cosmetic.

You do know that rust is oxidized steel (or other iron based alloy), so oxidation of another metal would be the equivalent of rust.

What are they made of? That orangish brown in your picture is what made me think rusted steel.
Old 08-22-21, 02:12 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
What are they made of? That orangish brown in your picture is what made me think rusted steel.
Put a magnet to them so they are not steel.

I hit them with a sharpie, you can sleep well tonight

Last edited by GlennR; 08-22-21 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-29-21, 10:52 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Rode to Oyster Bay to watch the Tobay Triathlon. There was only a 7% chance of rain but it was raining north of 25A.
Old 08-29-21, 12:40 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
A friend was driving down from that area to join our ride in Bethpage, but turned around on 107 when he hit what he described as a "deluge". We got away with a 42 miler to Kings Park with only a bit of light rain, but the roads were pretty wet in some places. A nice cool ride for a change.
Old 08-29-21, 02:21 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by kaos joe
A nice cool ride for a change.
At 6:00am it was 62*.
Old 08-31-21, 11:05 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Visited Cathedral Pines for the first time and ran into this guy multiple times as he kept getting chased from one spot to another due to all the switchbacks in that particular area.
Have to say I probably won't bother going back, the first and last third of the trail just had way too much roots for riding a hardtail. The middle 3-4 miles which covered the out of bounds and out of bounds extension were a lot of fun though hardly seemed worthy of their black diamond status. If I had a dual suspension I'd probably feel differently since the trails were very curvy and swoopy but after 11 miles I was done with the roots.
Stopped by Carl Hart cycles since they were 2 miles away and I see a lot of bikes with their logo on it. Very nice inside, was disappointed to see that they had a 54cm track bike, they were one of the shops I'd called last month to see if I could find just that size and was told no. It's been there longer as the tag didn't have a 40.00-50.00 shipping surcharge tacked onto it which they seem to have tacked onto all the new bikes using covid as an excuse, guess their loss on the sale. I might head back to check out a used 47cm road bike they had that my daughter it probably close to fitting but between seeing that lame markup on all the new bikes and seeing that track bike I'm not certain I'll be bothered.
Plus side was Merrick cycles wasn't lacking for XS trek mtbs since my middle child is nearly out of his, though 27.5" wheels might make too big of a step up.
Old 09-02-21, 09:10 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Decided on a whim to take a short ride on a MUP this evening, so we took a tandem down to Tobay and rode to Captree. Had a very tasty but wildly overpriced dinner at Tiki Joes outside as the sun set, which was very nice. Be advised that the menu on their website is for the takeaway counter, and you will pay twice as much and then some to sit at an outside table by the fishing boats. A bit underhanded on their part IMHO, which was a turn-off. Rode back in the dark with a headlight. Counted 29 bunnies. Wife always happy when bunnies are around. I noticed that the Town of Oyster Bay has removed the "no bikes beyond this point" sign at Tobay and replaced it with "bikes must be walked beyond this point", so now one can access the bay side eatery without risking a ticket. Understandable as of course no human has ever ridden a bike across a parking lot and lived to tell the tale.

Old 09-05-21, 03:32 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Traffic Island at 184th & Utopia pkwy in Queens

Sharrows on 83rd Avenue in Queens

83rd Avenue becomes Hoover Avenue

The protected bidirectional bike lane on Northern Boulevard was the subject of fierce debate between the NIMBY faction and the city council.

The bidirectional bike lane on 25A / Northern Boulevard only runs for about six blocks, but it does get cyclists and joggers past the Cross Island, and it connects with off road paths in Alley Pond Park.

Hi, rode 21 miles today. Remote start, took the train to Kew Gardens. Took 83rd Avenue to Parsons Blvd, then Union Turnpike...went left on Utopia Parkway, and right on Northern Boulevard. Took Little Neck Parkway to LIE Service road a bit, but returned to Northern Boulevard via Searingtown Road.
Old 09-07-21, 05:32 PM
kaos joe

Afternoon ride to Old Dock. Great day for a favorite 54 mile loop.

Old 09-11-21, 11:06 AM
kaos joe

We were surprised to find the beach deserted on such a sublime morning. A fairly light traffic day too, it seemed.

Steve was that you southbound on Dix Hills Rd? I was too busy watching for potholes, having just fixed a flat, but the Mrs thought she spotted ya.

Old 09-11-21, 11:17 AM
hotbike

Selfie at the Unisphere

Remote start ride yesterday, just finished editing my photos. Started at Forest Hills LIRR, went up 108th street, entered Flushing Meadows Park. Crowded place, as the US Open tennis tournament was in progress. My bike cam went into WiFi mode so I let it take the picture of me. I forgot to take a picture of the bike with the Unisphere in the background, so I have to go back...
Returned via 55th Avenue Bike Lane, to Queens Boulevard.
This ride was more about shooting photos than riding the bike.
I hope to compile a way finding resource, for cyclists who are looking for Bike Lanes.
Did 13 miles yesterday, another 8 miles today, but locally.

Last edited by hotbike; 09-11-21 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-17-21, 06:55 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

FYI, Sunrise Cyclery has been sold and will be a Trek company store.

Frank and Cathy still own Sunrise Tri in West Babylon.
Old 09-22-21, 06:28 PM
hotbike

Brought the cup of soup with me for the ride, procured a cup of hot water from the Tim Hortons at the JFK Airtrain station in Jamaica.

The Aerodynamic Touring Bicycle at Jamaica.

Last night I used my iPhone maps to find me a good bicycle route from my home to Kew Gardens in Queens. I found new alternatives to riding on Glen Cove Road that I didn’t know were there ( on the west side , not Wheatley Road) . Went 20 miles, but the bike’s lighting system developed a short circuit, and blew two fuses. I suspect a wire nut came loose in a junction box. Well, that ruined the demonstration. I returned via train from Jamaica. This ride was for riding, & I did not take as many photos.

People are interested in solar panels to increase the range of their electric bikes.
Old 09-26-21, 10:25 PM
Russ Roth

We decided on Sat to abandon LI for the wet grass and muddy ruts of the Carpenter Cross race in SE PA since there was something for everyone.

The oldest did the best with 4th place, put in a good effort and showed some real skills, she just needs to work on her breathing as she was practically hyperventilating by the end.

I did a respectable 62 place out of 80, not bad for an old fat guy. The Rock Lobster got as many comments as the Sloth jersey. I like to joke that I wear it since I'm fastest slow guy out there. Felt the best I have in years and also my best result in years on what was a long course.

The youngest did the under 8 fun race. He crashed on the back side and somehow his chain fell of despite the chain guard. Still left all smiles when they handed him his first medal.

Middle kid did the under 15 boys race. He lost control on a really technical area where you have to change direction on the side of a steep hill, went down the hill through 4 yellow lines and crashed into a metal light pole. No injuries and enough grit to get right back on but crashed on the next loop of the same slope knocking him out of the race with nothing but some bruises to show for it.

The wife put in some good effort but was nervous on the really technical parts so while she had some good speed on lots of the course, the area where the middle kid crashed was a serious slow down for her and kept her from keeping up. It was a long section with 3 areas of dropping down and climbing back up that had switchbacks on the hill.
Old 09-27-21, 08:36 PM
kaos joe

Some the best weather of the year lately. Tandem miles outstripping half-bike miles, which is great. But today I was out solo, and caught myself calling out a bump the the stoker who was not there!
Old 09-29-21, 07:26 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Cold this morning. i headed out at 7:00am and it was 52*. Arms and finger tips were cold.

BRRRRRRRRRR
Old 10-03-21, 07:14 AM
kaos joe

Well, there it is. Done. Best ride of the year hands down yesterday, and going to be difficult to top. PERFECT weather, 13 old friends (on 12 bikes ), 2 ferries, and almost 50 miles of South Fork and Shelter Island. Riding the rolling hills on Middle Line Highway when the Mrs in the back seat decides she wants to break the sound barrier. Holy mackerel. And all topped off with a fantastic BBQ. Going to remember this one.
Old 10-04-21, 10:02 PM
Russ Roth

My oldest moved up to a new track bike today, hasn't fully outgrown the old one but the middle kid has outgrown his so he needs hers and she gets a bigger one. Can't believe she can fit on a 700c wheeled bike. Bargain of a frameset, 170 with shipping and taxes. Also got the crankset on clearance from a bmx shop, and had the wheels sitting around, still waiting on new bars so I swiped her old ones for the moment. 16.7lbs out the door and ready to ride, in the spring I'll build a new set of wheels for her, thinking Profile racing hubs with Velocity Aileron rims, 24h with butted spokes. Took 1.5 hours from frameset arrival to full assembly but some of that time was searching the parts for a seat clamp when the frame didn't come with one.

The youngest is now in on the track action with the team. His practice on the 16" Harry Havnoonian helped him skip past the total newbie group to the beginners who started earlier this semester. His shadowing one of the coaches to the point that several parents believed he was the coach's son also gave him the knowledge of what's required of him. Had a good time doing several laps of the track and trying not to knock down cones. We'll be borrowing the team's 20" frog till he's big enough to fit the 24" that we have.
Old 10-06-21, 05:57 PM
hotbike

I went as far as Denton Avenue in New Hyde Park, took mostly side roads.
Old 10-13-21, 12:05 AM
kaos joe

Did a short after midnight foray into the woods Monday night, looking for dark skies and a north facing view towards the possible appearance of an aurora display. It peeves me that for all the nights I've spent camped in some of the remotest and thus darkest places in the lower 48, I've never seen the lights. This time I managed to see Jupiter, the Pleiades star cluster, and a raccoon. At least the MTB still works.
Old 10-13-21, 04:15 AM
hotbike

18th prototype in Times Square

Pennsylvania Station

8th Avenue Bike Lane

8th Avenue Bike Lane

The Copa

8th Avenue Bike Lane

8th Avenue Bike Lane

Broadway & Columbus

Rode from Penn Station up 8th, Broadway, and Amsterdam to 125th, return via Lexington.
Horrible traffic on Lex.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.