Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Cross Tri/half Iron

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Cross Tri/half Iron

Old 06-10-22, 10:22 PM
GMoser85

Bikes: Salsa Horsethief, Kona Ute Longtail

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Cross Tri/half Iron

I did my first Tri last year and my 2nd last month as a Clydesdale, both Olympic lengths. I know swimming is my weakest event and I swim a few days a week when I don't have my daughters. I have gotten to 8-mile run holding a 10 min mile time. I have done 50 mile runs and the swim isn't that much longer for a 70.3 distance.

I want to do a half Ironman next year. and advice for half Iron training? My goal is 2 Tri this year, my 2nd I want to do a Cross Tri, any advice going from a standard tri to a cross tri?
Old 06-12-22, 11:55 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 902 Posts
Originally Posted by GMoser85 View Post
I did my first Tri last year and my 2nd last month as a Clydesdale, both Olympic lengths. I know swimming is my weakest event and I swim a few days a week when I don't have my daughters. I have gotten to 8-mile run holding a 10 min mile time. I have done 50 mile runs and the swim isn't that much longer for a 70.3 distance.

I want to do a half Ironman next year. and advice for half Iron training? My goal is 2 Tri this year, my 2nd I want to do a Cross Tri, any advice going from a standard tri to a cross tri?
Join slowtwitch.com and go read/ask over there.
Old 06-14-22, 05:55 PM
GMoser85

Bikes: Salsa Horsethief, Kona Ute Longtail

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Will do, Thank you!
Old 06-25-22, 05:09 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
You're a "Clydesdale" running eight miles at a 10 minute/mile pace? Props to you. Is that on just a run? Or is that in combination with other events?

I live in the desert so it's hard for me to do a lot of swim training, at least distance-wise. Best I can do is laps at the local public pool, but I don't really count it beyond regular exercise since it's a pool and it's too easy to "cheat" and take breaks. However, I try to do a "dualthlon" at least once a month. Because of the aforementioned desert, I may not do that quite as often in the summer. But I will map out a 16-20 mile ride and a 3.5-4 mile run and do those back-to-back with about a 5 minute "transition" time in between.

I'm so far beyond the age/ability to do even a half Ironman now I won't even consider a full Ironman. I wish I had done one 15-20 years ago when I was young enough. I think I'm even done doing Olympics. At this point I'm going to stick with sprints from here on. I have a sprint in Long Beach in about three weeks. This will be my fifth triathlon in 10 months.