Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Best GPS for rando these days?

Old 06-21-22, 07:17 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 45 Posts
Well, update: I went with the Wahoo. So far it works great, though I haven't done any long rides yet.
Likes For samkl:
Old 06-21-22, 07:56 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
The new bolt has maps on it, and will use them to re-route to the course if desired. I turned that feature off since I didn't want to play with it on my first few rides. The old bolt had basic maps on it but the colour version has OSM maps with all the street names so it'll do full routing right on the unit, complete with turn-by-turn with street names. It'll also route to saved locations like home if you save the locations ahead of time. Just having the off-course alerts that almost all gps feature nowadays is all I need. Even with the routing feature on the bolt I'm still more likely to pull out my phone and use it to look at the maps, it's much bigger and easier to use. There's apparently 16gb on the new one, I'm not sure if I ever ran into storage issues on the first bolt I had, but I deleted most of the maps that came pre-loaded on that one, as well as my new one.

I've started saving my rides whenever I stop for a sleep, usually works out to one calendar day for each ride.
Old 06-22-22, 01:29 PM
strathconaman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I plug my 520 into a phone-style powerpack located in a bag on my top tube. I now get 2 weeks of battery life. Cost $20.