Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Family friendly, mostly paved trail suggestions?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Family friendly, mostly paved trail suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-19, 02:28 PM
mje

Bikes: Trek Domane, Specialized Sequoia, Cannondale RT3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Keystone to Glenwood Springs is mostly trail, and all of that paved. Where there is no trail, you would ride on the old US 6 highway that serves as the frontage road for I-70 and has very little traffic. It's only 105 miles and not the midwest, but there are more than enough nice views of nature. There is some elevation gain on Vail pass, but westbound you're going the easy way. https://www.google.com/search?q=keys...ings+bike+path
Likes For mje:
Old 08-01-19, 02:52 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by mje
Keystone to Glenwood Springs is mostly trail, and all of that paved. Where there is no trail, you would ride on the old US 6 highway that serves as the frontage road for I-70 and has very little traffic. It's only 105 miles and not the midwest, but there are more than enough nice views of nature. There is some elevation gain on Vail pass, but westbound you're going the easy way. https://www.google.com/search?q=keys...ings+bike+path

Well you got me COMPLETELY confused. Keystone what??? The link you posted is a 1,700+ mile route and is mostly roads.
Likes For spinnaker:
Old 08-01-19, 03:54 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by mje

I aslo find it very strange why you would pick the Carpenters Training Center near Robinson, as you starting location. Which just happens to be a couple of miles from my home.; I ride by there very often on weekend rides.
Likes For spinnaker:
Old 08-01-19, 04:08 PM
mje

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry, I assume that since google displayed what I intended, it would for everyone. It probably knows too much about me.

Last edited by mje; 08-01-19 at 04:25 PM.
Likes For mje:
Old 08-01-19, 04:46 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 1,815 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by mje
Keystone to Glenwood Springs is mostly trail, and all of that paved. Where there is no trail, you would ride on the old US 6 highway that serves as the frontage road for I-70 and has very little traffic. It's only 105 miles...
Riders can add another 41 miles to Aspen on paved trails.

(For those having trouble following along, this is in Colorado, as specified in post number 21.)

There are hopes and dreams and hard work towards connecting the Denver (again, Colorado) urban trail system up with the path west, but the Clear Creek Canyon and Loveland Pass paths are going to be challenging civil engineering projects.

Last edited by tcs; 08-02-19 at 05:34 AM.
Likes For tcs:
Old 08-01-19, 04:55 PM
mje

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Riders can add another 41 miles to Aspen on paved trails.
Excellent addition
Likes For mje:
Old 08-02-19, 08:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by mje
Oh, yeah that Glenwood Springs there is paved trail heading south for 40mi to Aspen/Snowmass is great. My family vacationed in Carbondale(between GS and Snowmass) 2 years ago and that trail was really fantastic to day ride. It follows the Roaring Fork River and you ride thru incredible valleys with mountains all around.
That place was an incredible hub for outdoor play. Whitewater rafting, an adventure park up atop a mountain, bike riding along the river, downhill mountain biking, hiking of varying difficulty, horseback riding- just so much to do within a 30min drive!
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-02-19, 09:51 AM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Philly Tandem
I would HIGHLY suggest that for a "first" tour you do a simple local overnight out and back to see how it goes and work out any issues. For example, we had toured plenty before we had our son. But our first overnight tour with him at around age 2 in a Burley was challenging, to say the least.

Eight years old is doable, if the kid is motivated and you keep mileage expectations very low and stop often. Otherwise, have you considered a tandem?

My son, now 14, is joining me tomorrow to do a tour on the C&O Canal over three days this weekend (180 miles). Last year we did the GAP trail (150 miles). He's also in his third year on the local NICA youth mountain bike team. So getting them used to biking early definitely pays dividends!
If you're going North to South the Williamsport detour route is poorly marked. We humped our bikes up a set of stairs and over a bridge last weekend but was told by someone else that wasn't the best way. Unfortunately I'm still not sure what the best way is so you may want to do a little homework. Not sure if the South to North detour is better marked. And make sure you bring your bug spray as my legs are covered with mosquito bites.
Likes For edthesped: