Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Transporting bike(s) in bed of pickup?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Transporting bike(s) in bed of pickup?

Old 05-15-20, 08:50 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
Lay it on its non drive side side.
Main reason for not going lp tonneau & picking up one that sits on top of the rails. That slight space difference makes or breaks having clearance in my experience.
Old 05-16-20, 03:55 AM
Nerostarr

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I use a fork mount and have it mounted to a piece of 2x6, I just remove the front wheel and mount the bike to the mount and use a small ratchet strap attached to the hooks in the bed to hold the bike secure. It rides up right and is very secure and my mount is portable, I can take it anywhere anytime. I bought the fork mount on amazon and they sell them in different sizes so be sure to measure your fork width spacing, they also sell them in thru axle and skewers.
Old 05-16-20, 10:00 AM
hicks

Bikes: 2019 Jamis Sequel

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I lay mine down with a ratchet rope over it to keep it from moving.
Old 05-16-20, 01:22 PM
SteckMark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So it sounds like the consensus is to transport the bike upright/vertical utilizing a fork mount.
The main problem I have is that I need and want to transport my bike under a Tonneau cover. Upright and exposed doesn't work for me. There are no such products on the market. I tried lying the bike flat on several cushioned blankets, but ended up damaging a crank and having to spend quite a bit to fix it.
What I created is a rack to transport the bike horizontally under the Tonneau cover, protecting the cranks, derailleurs, frame, etc. While you may not need a horizontal bike rack, can you see imagine there being a market for such a product?
Old 05-16-20, 06:21 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
Originally Posted by SteckMark
So it sounds like the consensus is to transport the bike upright/vertical utilizing a fork mount.
The main problem I have is that I need and want to transport my bike under a Tonneau cover. Upright and exposed doesn't work for me. There are no such products on the market. I tried lying the bike flat on several cushioned blankets, but ended up damaging a crank and having to spend quite a bit to fix it.
Are you stone cold steve austining the bicycle into the bed? If so, STOP THAT!
Old 05-16-20, 09:00 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
What I created is a rack to transport the bike horizontally under the Tonneau cover, protecting the cranks, derailleurs, frame, etc. While you may not need a horizontal bike rack, can you see imagine there being a market for such a product?
There is a related market:

This might be what you're looking for. I use it on Houston Metro buses. The loading position is shown. Once loaded, the panel folds down and the rack slides into the bus baggage bay so the bike is lying on its side.

https://www.sportworks.com/products/transit-bike-racks

Pricing unknown but that looks like more than $2K and less than $10k.

Or you might just find a good way to support the frame and tie it down securely.

Last edited by flangehead; 05-16-20 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Clarify operation.
Old 05-16-20, 11:14 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
I just lay my bike non drive side down in the bed under the tonneau.
Old 05-16-20, 11:42 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Get yourself a cap/canopy/topper and carry your bikes using fork mounts on a 2x6 - inside, locked, safe and out of the elements. Flip answer, I know, but it's the best way to utilize a pickup bed for hauling bikes. Not a fan of tonneau covers. Had a truck with one in the 80s and 90s and never liked it for any purpose I used the truck for, including hauling the bike. Finally removed it.

Or put a nice scrap of plush carpet, covered with cardboard and lay the bike flat. Carpet for padding, cardboard so the bike slides easier than on the carpet.
Old 05-18-20, 12:21 AM
dudeliving

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hillyman

a lot of options for pickups on a search. Lying down flat not my fav but a strap with bike upright cheap and so is tailgate mat
Also have the same set up. Have the gatemate from Thule https://www.levittownfordparts.com/s...955100-ab.html if it is our biking family day. Hoping this virus could stop so I can bike again with the fam.
Old 05-18-20, 06:06 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman

a lot of options for pickups on a search. Lying down flat not my fav but a strap with bike upright cheap and so is tailgate mat
It would be a mess if the tailgate latch failed speeding down the highway. There have been reports of electronic and mechanical latches releasing while the truck's in motion.

Like others I try to avoid removing the front disc wheel so simply lay my bike down (drive side up). The Linex bed spray is rough on Everything so I've been using a rubber coated matt. The only PITA is having to remove some of the "tool" bins to make room for the bike.

I've considered a rack for the existing hitch but this doesn't answer the OP's question......
Old 05-18-20, 05:23 PM
SteckMark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Speedway. I want to know if people would buy a bike rack for use in a pickup truck, under a Tonneau cover? Would you?
I would. To get to my group ride, I need to store my Specialized Roubaix in the bed of my truck while at work during the day, then drive out to where I meet the group (or at least did prior to COVID). I have damaged a crank transporting the bike lying flat in the bed of my truck. I want to produce and sell a rack to do this since there isn't one on the market.
So I ask, would you buy a bike rack that would allow you to store and transport your bike in the bed of a truck under a Tonneau cover? Why or why not? You gave me reasonable input and I just want to know what you think. Thanks!
Old 05-18-20, 08:11 PM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Personally, I wouldn’t. Bikes get damaged during normal operation and normal operation includes transporting same, laying flat, drive side up, in the bed of a pickup.
Likes For probe1957:
Old 05-18-20, 09:18 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
No I would not buy one. Laying flat on nd works fine for me.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 05-18-20, 10:37 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Hi Speedway. I want to know if people would buy a bike rack for use in a pickup truck, under a Tonneau cover? Would you?
I would. To get to my group ride, I need to store my Specialized Roubaix in the bed of my truck while at work during the day, then drive out to where I meet the group (or at least did prior to COVID). I have damaged a crank transporting the bike lying flat in the bed of my truck. I want to produce and sell a rack to do this since there isn't one on the market.
So I ask, would you buy a bike rack that would allow you to store and transport your bike in the bed of a truck under a Tonneau cover? Why or why not? You gave me reasonable input and I just want to know what you think. Thanks!
I would not.

I have successfully carried 2 bikes in the back of a Ford Ranger pickup many times. Never is issue with careful packing and tarps and/or padding. The bikes stay put and so far have never been scratched. I have a cap, but assume that if passerbys can see a bike, they might want a bike, so I use the tarp to cover it (or them) and then throw some hefty bag messily on the tarp. This works even with hotel overnights and the truck in the parking lot. We now use wheel bags and that works even better, as it camoflages the humps of the handlebars or brake levers. We manage to load it so both are below the top of the bed sides, so they would easily fit under even a soft tonneau.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 05-19-20, 04:06 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
All the time.

No, not mine... I have a work truck, rarely empty enough to use an internal rack. I have a blue padded "movers" blanket, that lives under the bench seat in the back. That way, when the truck is full of tools, rocks, or other stuff, I lay out the moving blanket over the top and lay my bike over that. If I'm bringing my daughter's bike too, the blanket can be partially folded back so there is a layer on the bottom, and enough folded between the two bikes so that the bikes are protected. No tonneau cover now but I've had'em, still didn't use rack.

Last edited by Last ride 76; 05-19-20 at 04:33 PM.
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 05-19-20, 04:47 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
I never realized that it might make a difference, which side I lay my bike down on.
Old 05-19-20, 07:44 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
My bike(s) rarely get transported in my pickup bed but when it does it gets laid down on it's side. I have a locking hard folding cover (BakFlip) so does the job for temporary storage.
To answer your question....I personally would not have a need for such a device.
Old 05-19-20, 09:56 PM
frizzen

Bikes: 1955 Hercules Royal Prince Fixed Gear

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
When I had a pickup I put a couple of big eye bolts in the front of the bed (on the sides). Then used motorcycle tie-downs to hold the bikes upright. The wheels stay on, the bikes stay put.
Old 07-12-20, 08:22 PM
rlmalisz

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
This is what I do.
I have a Honda Ridgeline, and put together a crossbar with locking fork mounts that mounts to the upper factory tiedowns. Had some residual Yakima mounts for the front wheels, and incorporated those on release hinges. Really nice thing is I can install/remove the crossbar in about 5 minutes, no tools required. We have the bed tent for the truck, and I haul landscape materials, whatever in the back. So I was looking for something that was solid, secure, light, and easy to install/remove. I'm a few posts shy of 10 (I think this makes 8?) but once I get there, I'll post a photo. It worked out more slickly than I could have hoped for.

--Richard
Old 07-13-20, 09:41 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I used a Hollywood brand truck bed rack that bolts across the bed but usually had a cap on the truck so used a roof rack or, when I had the space inside, laid the bike inside drive side up.
Old 07-13-20, 11:40 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Nevermind. At first I didn't realize the OP is only here to do market research.

Last edited by Squeeze; 07-13-20 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-13-20, 10:15 PM
Danhedonia

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
These are a thing:

Real good for laying bikes flat on top fo them.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 07-14-20, 05:48 AM
CGLTD

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some great ideas here. I use a hitch mounted carrier.
Old 07-15-20, 12:09 PM
rlmalisz

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by rlmalisz
I have a Honda Ridgeline, and put together a crossbar with locking fork mounts that mounts to the upper factory tiedowns. Had some residual Yakima mounts for the front wheels, and incorporated those on release hinges. Really nice thing is I can install/remove the crossbar in about 5 minutes, no tools required. We have the bed tent for the truck, and I haul landscape materials, whatever in the back. So I was looking for something that was solid, secure, light, and easy to install/remove. I'm a few posts shy of 10 (I think this makes 8?) but once I get there, I'll post a photo. It worked out more slickly than I could have hoped for.

--Richard

Rack by itself. Wish I'd been able to get the Brinks adjustable shackle locks keyed as a pair. Remove the locks, the eye nuts rotate to remove (they're atop stainless spring washers, so I can always get them parallel to the bar without reefing on them), and the whole thing just drops through the tiedowns.

Rack with my 1420 locked into the Yakima Blockheads and front wheel held by a residual Yakima Wheel Fork.

Yakima Wheel Fork mounted via one half of quick-release hinge. For putting a wheel in, I can mount it to the wheel fork on the ground, where I can easily get to both sides of the wheel to adjust the quick release. For taking them out, just release the QR lever, and then quick release the mounting fork, and throw it under the back seat until ride's end.
Old 07-16-20, 08:00 AM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts

I use fork mounts on a 1x10, which is secured to the bed of my truck. Easy to remove bike and mount. I put the front wheel in the cab. Been using this method for years, often traveling a 1,000 miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.