Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Regina freewheels ranking, was Oro the best?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Regina freewheels ranking, was Oro the best?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-20, 03:17 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,962 Posts
Not that I am an expert by any means, but I would put the CX-s against most of the Japanese freewheels from the same rough period...And I love the Sun Tour range. That was probably the best of the Regina products...America, in my opinion, a bit less so, but they were trying for something different with that one.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 10-20-20, 06:40 PM
majmt 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 1,101 Times in 327 Posts
Well, the bike arrived intact without my wife noticing and I took it right away to my LBS for unpacking, re-assembly, and tuning. Looked pretty pristine from what I could see when I peeked in the box. The one wheel that I pulled out was a beautiful Martano (wing decal) with what looks like the original Clement tire showing very little wear. I’d like to learn as much as possible about this bike - I’ll try to boost my post count so I can upload a bunch of photos in a new thread when I get it home. Thanks for sharing the collective wisdom - impressive group of experts here!
Old 10-20-20, 06:55 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
My view on the matter is to NEVER assume the mechanic who last did the major assembly knew or cared.
Hubs, bottom bracket, pedals, jockey wheels should be all be repacked.
You might get away with the headset, but best to do that too.
Every bike I purchased and took apart, had a "surprise". some were component fatal, some not.
If you are not fully "tooled' up or have the mechanical experience, seek out a vintage aware mechanic.
Old 10-20-20, 06:55 PM
majmt 

An off-topic question re early CA Masis. In addition to the serial number and size stamping on the bottom bracket, I noticed +CF+ stamped next the M cut-out. Anyone know what that means?
Old 10-20-20, 07:04 PM
majmt 

Originally Posted by repechage
My view on the matter is to NEVER assume the mechanic who last did the major assembly knew or cared.
Hubs, bottom bracket, pedals, jockey wheels should be all be repacked.
You might get away with the headset, but best to do that too.
Every bike I purchased and took apart, had a "surprise". some were component fatal, some not.
If you are not fully "tooled' up or have the mechanical experience, seek out a vintage aware mechanic.
Absolutely agree, thanks. For now, I asked the shop to simply assemble and tune the bike mostly for mock-up and photos - I don’t even want to clean it yet. I plan to go slow and have things done right to get it on the road.
Old 10-20-20, 08:32 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
As long as we're on the subject I will put this here for posterity. Someone may find it useful in the future.

Brent
Old 10-21-20, 10:40 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by majmt
An off-topic question re early CA Masis. In addition to the serial number and size stamping on the bottom bracket, I noticed +CF+ stamped next the M cut-out. Anyone know what that means?
it is actually +GF+
The casting house Georg Fischer
Still in business. I do not think they do bike components any more.
Depending on the depth in the casting and the amount of file effort, it goes from fully visible to missing.
Old 10-21-20, 11:46 AM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
this thread went completely off topic! the question was what was the best Regina freewheel not if you liked them!
I think think the answer is America, why else would they have marketed them in nice wooden boxes?
my '68 Masi Special sports a Mallaird 700 Corse freewheel (no wobble and a very precision sounding clack (no slipping ever)
and a Regina Record chain (lower plate height gives a more elegant look plus it shifts smoother and it looks COOL)
Old 10-21-20, 12:00 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
^^^ So Atoms were a buck more than Reginas? I liked Atom freewheels too.

As an aside, my favorite vintage freewheel was the Cyclo Pans kit.

BTW, personally I'd go max 26T for good shifting. Though you could make it work with 28, it won't be optimal IMO.

Originally Posted by steve sumner
this thread went completely off topic! the question was what was the best Regina freewheel not if you liked them!
Maybe so, but it's a zombie thread.

When it was awoken in post 20, the new question was what was most appropriate for the guy's '74 Masi.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 10-21-20 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-21-20, 05:33 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
^^^ So Atoms were a buck more than Reginas? I liked Atom freewheels too.

As an aside, my favorite vintage freewheel was the Cyclo Pans kit.

BTW, personally I'd go max 26T for good shifting. Though you could make it work with 28, it won't be optimal IMO.

Maybe so, but it's a zombie thread.

When it was awoken in post 20, the new question was what was most appropriate for the guy's '74 Masi.
Halloween is coming, Zombie Jamboree.

Maillard had a good concept with the 700 freewheel kit, one or two threaded cogs and the rest slid on. Good in concept, but took too much time.
There was another racer lazy aspect, always best to set up the race and training wheels with the same brand/model of freewheel, no derailleur adjustment required.
That is if the mechanic double checked that the hub spacing was on the various wheels was uniform. Campagnolo made spacers in .5, 1.0 mm thickness if one needed.
Guys would have a training freewheel and a racing freewheel, or just swap out to race wheels.
Old 10-21-20, 07:22 PM
JJScaliger

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 58 Posts
As to Campagnolo compatibility-
If original hubs, the area between the threads and the flange will be blank
one groove, English threading
two, French threading ( most often )
if later the hub will have the thread type marked

Regina freewheels- blank back side Italian, one groove, English or small F.1 French - two grooves OR a small rectangular punch press mark. Atom did the same for a time.

all part of the secret Vintage code.
This is very interesting! I have a NOS Everest freewheel that was sold to me as English thread but maybe Italian thread, as there is no marking on back of freewheel, if this rubric works for Everest. I known English and Italian threads are close but I do have Campag rear hubs with both threads so I would like to match accordingly.

Old 10-21-20, 09:30 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
I actually like my Maillard and Maillard/Sachs Freewheels much more than my Reginas.
They are not really that bad, but, the only freewheel I ever had to fix because of bad internal tolerances between the inner and outer bodies was a Regina freewheel (I think it was a CX, IIRC.) that was knocking on me. Never had such ever happen with my other brand freewheels.
What also irritates me with Regina freewheels is, they all seem to really get stuck tight (Even if I greased the freewheel and rear hub threads) on to my hubs, requiring a whole lot of effort to take off my hubs. I actually broke one of my chain whips doing so, some years ago. First time it ever happened to me.

Last edited by Chombi1; 10-22-20 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-22-20, 06:33 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
Having just serviced a Regina 5 speed Oro with buggered removal notches, I'd say my favorite two notch Regina is either a Suntour Perfect or ProCompe 5 speed. Jus' sayin'.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 10-22-20, 07:35 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Having just serviced a Regina 5 speed Oro with buggered removal notches, I'd say my favorite two notch Regina is either a Suntour Perfect or ProCompe 5 speed. Jus' sayin'.
Small world. I just transplanted a GS body onto an Oro cluster with buggered notches.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 10-22-20, 08:40 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
A little update on that Regina extra you built for my ItalVega , it is still working flawlessly and the "click" is music to my ears. The one you did for my daughter's Raleigh is also working very well. I also like SunTour Perfect or Winner, and Shimano(early) freewheels . I have a removal tool for the Regina that keeps the slots intact when removing. It employs a threaded retainer that accepts the skewer and keeps it snug when in the vise . Unfortunately most of the Regina FW's I have seen have buggered up slots and that can be a problem.
Old 10-22-20, 08:44 AM
majmt 

it is actually +GF+
The casting house Georg Fischer
Still in business. I do not think they do bike components any more.
Depending on the depth in the casting and the amount of file effort, it goes from fully visible to missing.
Thanks. Yes, I can see now that it is a G and not a C. I was hoping CF stood for ConFente
Old 10-22-20, 12:31 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
As to Campagnolo compatibility-
If original hubs, the area between the threads and the flange will be blank
one groove, English threading
two, French threading ( most often )
if later the hub will have the thread type marked

Regina freewheels- blank back side Italian, one groove, English or small F.1 French - two grooves OR a small rectangular punch press mark. Atom did the same for a time.

all part of the secret Vintage code.
Unfortunately, whether Caimi (Everest) marked their freewheels in some manner is not evident.

English thread Record hub example:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
groove.jpg (68.4 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg
freewheel-markings.jpg (85.3 KB, 162 views)
Old 10-22-20, 02:00 PM
dmanders

Bikes: 14 F8, 21 F12

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Well, the bike arrived intact without my wife noticing and I took it right away to my LBS for unpacking, re-assembly, and tuning. Looked pretty pristine from what I could see when I peeked in the box. The one wheel that I pulled out was a beautiful Martano (wing decal) with what looks like the original Clement tire showing very little wear. I’d like to learn as much as possible about this bike - I’ll try to boost my post count so I can upload a bunch of photos in a new thread when I get it home. Thanks for sharing the collective wisdom - impressive group of experts here!
Wow, a Martano still on a Masi? It must not have been ridden much, as the tire might indicate. They were notoriously soft and bent easily.
Old 10-22-20, 02:15 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Oftentimes if a Regina freewheel is really tight it's because it is an Italian threaded freewheel on an English threaded hub. Not always, but often.

Freewheel threads should always be very well greased. Use teflon if you have it.

AFA the mangled up two notches, that is caused by improper removal technique 99% of the time. Two notch freewheels of all types can be removed without mangling, if care is taken.* The splined bodies are more tolerant, but less convenient since the outer hub locknut usually needs to be taken off, unless you still have an old Phil spline tool. Mine disappeared somewhere along the line... Downside of the Phil tools is they usually failed after a while, being so thin-walled in order to fit between the locknut and freewheel body.

*I realize that doesn't do anyone much good now, 30-40+ years later, when many of the remaining vintage freewheels are mangled.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 10-22-20 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-22-20, 04:25 PM
majmt 

Originally Posted by dmanders
Wow, a Martano still on a Masi? It must not have been ridden much, as the tire might indicate. They were notoriously soft and bent easily.
I wish I could post a few photos but I’m still short on my post count after seven years. When I make it to 10 posts, I’ll put up some photos of the bike in a new thread. There are so many knowledgable members here that I would really love to hear their informed input.

This bike was not ridden very much or very hard at all. Pretty much all original early ‘74 issue and sounds (and looks) like it was always stored inside. I want to build up a new set of wheels and keep the originals in their current condition. It’s interesting that it has a Regina Extra 14-28T freewheel and a Sidis chain although it sounds like it should have been delivered with Everest. So, a question for all, what might be a good wheel build to get this on the road next spring? If I understand correctly for the Regina line, the best options would be the CX or America or anything with an S. We already have snow on the ground so I’m in no hurry to get on it. And I don’t plan to spank it when I do get it out. I’m hoping to come up with something of the appropriate vintage or reliably modern with a vintage look and feel. Regina, Everest, SunTour, tubular or clincher - I’m willing to go any way. I just want to do it right so any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited by majmt; 10-22-20 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-22-20, 04:41 PM
majmt 

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I do agree that the sound of the Regina is really sweet.
Old 10-23-20, 03:43 AM
dmanders

Bikes: 14 F8, 21 F12

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
I wish I could post a few photos but I’m still short on my post count after seven years. When I make it to 10 posts, I’ll put up some photos of the bike in a new thread. There are so many knowledgable members here that I would really love to hear their informed input.

This bike was not ridden very much or very hard at all. Pretty much all original early ‘74 issue and sounds (and looks) like it was always stored inside. I want to build up a new set of wheels and keep the originals in their current condition. It’s interesting that it has a Regina Extra 14-28T freewheel and a Sidis chain although it sounds like it should have been delivered with Everest. So, a question for all, what might be a good wheel build to get this on the road next spring? If I understand correctly for the Regina line, the best options would be the CX or America or anything with an S. We already have snow on the ground so I’m in no hurry to get on it. And I don’t plan to spank it when I do get it out. I’m hoping to come up with something of the appropriate vintage or reliably modern with a vintage look and feel. Regina, Everest, SunTour, tubular or clincher - I’m willing to go any way. I just want to do it right so any ideas would be appreciated.
I don't think the Martanos lasted a month on my 73 Masi bought new. I can't remember what I switched to (Fiamme?) but I eventually landed on Mavic GP4s as my go to rim. I liked the Everest freewheels but Oros were easier to get in the right sizes. Personally I would go hi-end tubular, e.g., Vittoria Corsa, for the full experience. The Clement Criterium silks my bike came with were as sweet a tire as ever made.
Old 04-08-24, 10:55 PM
Peterc5263

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do Regina America cogs with three splines fit on Sachs freewheels? I agree that Sachs freewheels are excellent and would like another source for compatible cogs. I have already found that certain Shimano Uniglide freewheel cogs fit.