Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What type of Spokes would you use?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What type of Spokes would you use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-20, 04:11 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Doing just a little research, I found that the Ambrosio Excellence rims have an ERD of 601mm. The Ambrosio 19 Extra Super Elite have an ERD of 613mm. That’s going to result in a larger than ±2mm difference. The difference in spoke length is going to be about 7 mm. That’s far too much for just swapping the rims.

And this is a good illustration of why you can’t just swap rims. Two rims from the same manufacturer with similar looking profiles but very different diameters.
Sound advice. I have 3 pairs of Ambrosio Excellence. My measured ERD across the 6 rims ranges from 602 to 605. I always double-check the rim I am building.
Likes For plonz:
Old 12-26-20, 06:48 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
a good bike shop will invite you to come on down with you rims and hubs and allow you to lace up the wheels right in the mechanics shop, that way you do not have to go back and forth a million times to exchange spokes in order to find the right length.

mechanics keep a little black book with spoke lengths for different rims and hubs and 3 x and 4 x and you know what? even those numbers can be off from rim to rim.

we use to use non stainless spokes in order to save weight, they would break if you looked at them wrong but would make it through a race or two. there was quite a bit of weight savings there, which translates into less rotational inertia.
Likes For cjenrick:
Old 12-26-20, 08:25 PM
oceanhaitang
Haleakalacraterlove

Bikes: 1988 Bianchi Giro with full Campagnolo Victory Groupset

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Good info!

Yeah... I’m not too worried about weight as long as it’s not excessive. I’m not planning to race on this particular bike. Looking more for something strong, durable, and aesthetically pleasing

Originally Posted by cjenrick
a good bike shop will invite you to come on down with you rims and hubs and allow you to lace up the wheels right in the mechanics shop, that way you do not have to go back and forth a million times to exchange spokes in order to find the right length.

mechanics keep a little black book with spoke lengths for different rims and hubs and 3 x and 4 x and you know what? even those numbers can be off from rim to rim.

we use to use non stainless spokes in order to save weight, they would break if you looked at them wrong but would make it through a race or two. there was quite a bit of weight savings there, which translates into less rotational inertia.
Old 12-27-20, 11:15 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick

Several things here. I’ve been building wheels since 1986 and I’ve never had a shop offer to allow me to lace my wheels up at the shop. No one offered and I never even considered asking. In the early days...before the Intertubz...they would do the calculations for the spokes I would need but that was the extent of their involvement. I really question if any shop would allow a customer in the work area...liability, a litigious society, and all that.

A co-op with a shop where you can work on your own bike might allow you to work on lacing a wheel but it would depend on the shop and the traffic. Don’t show up at my co-op where I’m the shop lead on a spring Saturday and expect to build wheels. I’ve got 6 other stands that I need to help with and can’t babysit a wheel builder. A really crappy (weather wise) Saturday in January would be much better.

Second, I’ve known dozens of bicycle mechanics through my co-op (I’ve been there longer than any of the paid personal) and not one of them has ever had a “little black book” for wheelbuilding. I’ve built about 100 wheels and I don’t keep a “little black book”. It’s just not worth the data collection. Rims from even 10 years ago are probably not still being made. And the “Intertubz” have a lot of that data anyway. Heck, only 3 or 4 of those bicycle mechanics was even a wheel builder themselves.

Finally, nonstainless spokes wouldn’t be any lighter than stainless. Steel is a bit heavier than some types of stainless and a bit lighter than others. The difference, however, is negligible, especially when in the small quantities of a spoke. Nor is stainless stronger than carbon steel. It’s slightly weaker. Neither is particularly delicate. Stainless just doesn’t rust (as much).
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-27-20, 11:17 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by oceanhaitang
Good info!

Yeah... I’m not too worried about weight as long as it’s not excessive. I’m not planning to race on this particular bike. Looking more for something strong, durable, and aesthetically pleasing
If you want durability and strength, look into triple butted spokes...DT Alpine III, Sapim Force, Pillar PSR 2018 are examples. Strength and durability are increased by about 50% over a straight spoke.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-27-20, 12:52 PM
dmarkun
Slowfoot

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh International, 1979 Scapin (?), 1980 Trek 715, 1984 SR Maxima, 1993 Bridgestone RB1, 1998 753 Waterford X-12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 49 Posts

DIY prototype

Mk II

I liked:
"Professional Guide to Wheel Building" 7th Edition
A complete wheelbuilding reference. By Roger Musson
(not free though)
Likes For dmarkun:
Old 12-27-20, 01:40 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Originally Posted by dmarkun
DIY prototype

Mk II

I liked:
"Professional Guide to Wheel Building" 7th Edition
A complete wheelbuilding reference. By Roger Musson
(not free though)
Digging your jig. I'm also a fan of R. Musson. And wrt little black books, my go to expert on all things vintage, modern, bicycle, and Wheelbuilder extraordinaire checks his notes when I go to him for spokes. It might be a black book. It might be little. He kept it in the back room.
Old 12-27-20, 07:33 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
I was never disappointed with DT stainless steel spokes I had on most of my bikes since the 80's.
I had used straight gauge, double butted and aero bladed stainless steel spokes from DT and had never had any of them break on me.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 12-27-20, 09:28 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
DT Swiss Competition (butted)👍👍👍

I literally learned to build wheels online from Sheldon Brown (following Jobst Brandt's method), and I have successfully laced at least 50+ wheels with never a complaint nor a failure. Check him out, straightforward method.
Likes For montclairbobbyb:
Old 12-28-20, 12:51 PM
buegelfrei

Bikes: Daylight ARC c1 XXL 20", Surly Big Dummy, c.1983 Merckx Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have always used DT spokes and nipples, but when it came to my most recent set of wheels, built around Onyx hubs, Daniel at Onyx plugged Sapim’s “Polyax” nipples (which come in assorted configurations in both aluminum and brass). He told me:

Nipple choice (speaking from personal preference here) is the Sapim Polyax nipple. They offer a few colors and lengths of these, but the jewel of this nipple design is the head. It has a dome shape that allows for settling into any rim nicely. Helps prevent the nipple breaking from bad angles, and also combats the occasional spoke ping you may hear from a nipple settling during riding.
Given this is a bike you care about, there is no good reason not to use double or triple-butted spokes.

While I have enjoyed lacing 10 or so wheels over the decades, I have to acknowledge that the wheels I have had my guy at my fave LBS do in the past decade have required far less truing. In fact, those wheels with the Onyx hubs haven’t needed any truing in 18 months and circa 1500 miles...of BMX.

The anodized color (blue and lime) on my Sapim nipples seems to be holding up fine against UV, if you were wanting color. I’ve never had colored aluminum nipples from DT, so I can’t comment there. I have seen some anodized parts fade really fast.
Old 12-28-20, 04:05 PM
bikepilot50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sheldon Brown is one of the best on wheelbuilding and other vintage bike topics
//sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html