Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Super tight heels on road shoes?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-14-21, 07:18 AM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 50 Posts

Why does this trend exist? Newer Shimano shoes seem to be the worst offender, but Specialized seems to be working on it too. Your heels are gonna want to lift out of the shoe when you're walking on pavement, that's going to happen because the sole is stiff. All that clamping down on the heel is going to do is hurt your achilles and give you a bone spur on your calcaneus. I've never had an issue with my heel lifting during a ride, if you do, your cleats are massively mis-positioned forward.

Anyways, rant off.
Old 01-14-21, 12:24 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Your opinion is probably unpopular among roadies. I personally have been hunting for a shoe that provides solid heel lock for a while (I'm about 4 pairs deep). The closest I got was a pair of WAY undersized Fizik R1Bs but those obliterated my feet.

I'm actually going to be working on a proof of concept shoe that totally locks in your forefoot, just like a normal cycling shoe, but uses an inelastic fabric sock to keep your foot bound to the forefoot of the sole, allowing your heel to lift and drop independently of the stiff carbon sole. So if you pedal with your heel touching the sole, your pedaling is unaffected. If your heel wants to lift (like it does for many people, otherwise we wouldn't need heel cups), then it just lets your heels lift. Think of it like a Nike Slide but with boa dials and foot retention.

I would love to hear why this is a bad idea.

Here's a quick sketch:

It could also be that the cleats under the forefoot is just a bad idea and we should move to midfoot cleats. But afaik 0 shoes on the market support that right now.

Last edited by smashndash; 01-14-21 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-14-21, 12:57 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
A big reason I have been a loyal S-Works wearer for years is that they're so solidly locked to my heel.
Likes For caloso:
Old 01-14-21, 01:06 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Weird...I'm the opposite, I wanted my heel to stay in place.

I wear Giro Empire SLX shoes because I can use the laces to tie a heel lock pattern which works decently. No problems on centuries or rides when I'm up and out of the saddle for hard efforts. The laces, in this one case, are superior for getting the heel to stay in place over Boa systems in my experience.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 01-14-21, 01:18 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Phatman
Your heels are gonna want to lift out of the shoe when you're walking on pavement, that's going to happen because the sole is stiff.
Walking is quite a ways down the list of priorities for my road shoes.

I've never had an issue with my heel lifting during a ride, if you do, your cleats are massively mis-positioned forward.
This is going to be a radical idea, but hear me out - maybe people other than yourself have different feet and biomechanics than yourself.
Old 01-14-21, 03:19 PM
Phatman

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Walking is quite a ways down the list of priorities for my road shoes.
Precisely. That's the only place I've ever had heel lift show up on a road shoe, so why design a shoe that cranks down so hard to avoid it?

Are you guys saying that you regularly feel your heel want to come out of the shoe while riding?
Old 01-14-21, 04:43 PM
smashndash

Are you guys saying that you regularly feel your heel want to come out of the shoe while riding?
Yes. Quite frequently. This is why sprinters tighten their boas. It mainly happens to toe pointers rather than heel droppers, I believe. Or... I think it happens within a certain range of foot angles (around 0deg, flat foot). And it doesn't happen at the extremes. So toes all the way down or heel all the way down.

You are right that it depends on cleat placement too.
Old 01-14-21, 04:50 PM
MakiNn

Bikes: Spooky Mulholland

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Im on the side for heel lock, I found my way to a Boat Vaypor S for my shoe of choice. I have had Sidi, S-work 7s, and Shimano S-phyres and by far the Bonts have the most customizable body in which after heating them you can squeeze the heel as much as you want to make it lock into place. I come from a hockey background so the heating process came natural and I find they fit excellent
Likes For MakiNn:
Old 01-14-21, 05:39 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Imagine cutting a shoe in half, maybe about 1" behind the cleat. Clip shoe into pedal. What problems (and don't tell me cold heels because it's January) come to pass? It's basically a toe cage that you're putting a bare (ok, there's a sock) foot into.
Old 01-14-21, 05:54 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Imagine cutting a shoe in half, maybe about 1" behind the cleat. Clip shoe into pedal. What problems (and don't tell me cold heels because it's January) come to pass? It's basically a toe cage that you're putting a bare (ok, there's a sock) foot into.
Yeah pretty much. That's the idea. The nice thing about my design, though, is that if you want to push with your whole foot (ie with your heel) you still can. The sole is still full length and rigid. I don't believe such a system has existed before. What problems do you think would arise?
Old 01-14-21, 09:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,600 Times in 5,946 Posts
My heels are so well locked in on my Sidis that the heels are separating from the soles. And they're very comfortable.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-15-21, 06:35 AM
Phatman

Hmm. This is all mind bending. I wonder if I’ve just ridden for so long in shoes that allow heel slip that my pedal stroke has evolved to compensate. I still can’t really fathom what movement would make the heel move, it seems like you’d have to be pushing down with your toes on the upstroke?

Either way, the heel lock isn’t going to work for me. Holy **** it’s uncomfortable. I wish I could order another set of 2008 Specialized BG Pros before they started messing with their fit.
Old 01-15-21, 09:06 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I hate when my heal moves. I have snapped clasps on shoes by pulling the Velcro strap too tight to hold my feet in place. Granted, most of my racing is on the track, so pulling up is important. But even on the road, I do not want my feet moving. During most rides, I usually tighten my shoes as the ride progresses.
Old 01-15-21, 01:29 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 178 Posts
I have the S-Works Recon shoe and love how it locks my heel in place along with the super stiff sole. They are the most comfortable and efficient riding shoes I've ever worn.

They are not great to walk in but not terrible either.
Old 01-17-21, 12:51 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
One of my mental rants to myself is "feel your heel cups." I pedal with them a lot of the time. Sidi Dominators, no discernable movement between foot and heel cup even with the shoes relatively loose. Certainly no heel damage!
Old 01-18-21, 03:24 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I wouldn't want super tight heel cups to the extent that I feel they exert pressure, myself, but the shoes I've tried, the heel cups didn't seem to bother me (I don't have big heels, I guess). My "limiting factor" in shoe fit is that I need a good bit of space in the front for my toes (I've lost some nails after my last IM which I attribute to a too cramped cycling shoe in that area), and shoes which accomodate that tend to be comfortable enough with the heel, too.

I've got a pair of wide fit Lake CX301s lately and while with a single Boa dial and a very lightweight shoe construction the retention isn't as good as a firmer shoe with two Boas, they're the most comfortable thing around and I haven't noticed any disadvantage in power resulting from that, not even in a sprint (that said, my "sprint" is a sordid 1000W affair, so... yeah, hah hah). The big thing is to be comfortable, imo, especially for long distance.

I would imagine that heel being gripped firmly is very necessary if you're really dropping your toes in a very pronounced way (which could be compensating for cleats far forward plus saddle up, or natural tendency).
Old 01-19-21, 07:22 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Hmm. This is all mind bending. I wonder if I’ve just ridden for so long in shoes that allow heel slip that my pedal stroke has evolved to compensate. I still can’t really fathom what movement would make the heel move, it seems like you’d have to be pushing down with your toes on the upstroke?

Either way, the heel lock isn’t going to work for me. Holy **** it’s uncomfortable. I wish I could order another set of 2008 Specialized BG Pros before they started messing with their fit.
If you're pulling up on the pedals your heel has a slight tendency to lift. Having a solid heel cup takes some of the strain off the various supporting muscles. Also, some orientations of pedal angle and seat height can make your heel want to lift slightly. Those shouldn't be common occurrences, but can happen infrequently during normal cycling. With a nominal flat pedal stroke, I agree you shouldn't get heel lift.
Old 01-20-21, 08:30 AM
Phatman

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
One of my mental rants to myself is "feel your heel cups." I pedal with them a lot of the time. Sidi Dominators, no discernable movement between foot and heel cup even with the shoes relatively loose. Certainly no heel damage!
Originally Posted by gsa103
If you're pulling up on the pedals your heel has a slight tendency to lift. Having a solid heel cup takes some of the strain off the various supporting muscles. Also, some orientations of pedal angle and seat height can make your heel want to lift slightly. Those shouldn't be common occurrences, but can happen infrequently during normal cycling. With a nominal flat pedal stroke, I agree you shouldn't get heel lift.
Hmm. Never felt that SIDIs were too tight in the heels, though I haven't tried a set on in years because the rest of the shoe doesn't fit my foot. Maybe they updated them with a tighter heel cup since the Genius's I tried on back in ~2010ish though.

Also, I think I should be clear, I'm not talking about the side to side tightness of the heel cup, I'm talking about the shoes that feel like they have a bar across the back of the heel cup that digs into the achillies and clamps down on the calcaneus. I've attached a pic to note where I feel like the pressure is inappropriate. When I'm doing a hard effort, I too envision pushing on the back of my shoe with my heel. The stupid rim of the shoe inhibits that though.

Anyways, I just ordered a set of Torch 3.0s. The reviews complain about the sloppy heel fit compared to the S-Works, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

Old 01-20-21, 10:43 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Hmm. Never felt that SIDIs were too tight in the heels, though I haven't tried a set on in years because the rest of the shoe doesn't fit my foot. Maybe they updated them with a tighter heel cup since the Genius's I tried on back in ~2010ish though.

Also, I think I should be clear, I'm not talking about the side to side tightness of the heel cup, I'm talking about the shoes that feel like they have a bar across the back of the heel cup that digs into the achillies and clamps down on the calcaneus. I've attached a pic to note where I feel like the pressure is inappropriate. When I'm doing a hard effort, I too envision pushing on the back of my shoe with my heel. The stupid rim of the shoe inhibits that though.

Anyways, I just ordered a set of Torch 3.0s. The reviews complain about the sloppy heel fit compared to the S-Works, so I'm taking that as a good sign.
I think it's simply an issue of how you're made. Your Achilles must be shaped a little differently. I suggest a visit to a large bike shop, trying on several shoes. The Sidis I have today have exactly the same upper shape as the ones I bought in 1998. It must be not so much the tightness of the heel cup but rather how much they curve in at the top. You could try padding your lower heel just a bit and see what that does.
Old 01-20-21, 02:45 PM
jfranci3

Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Insoles have a lot of influence here. Try taking them out and see if the world is a better place, repeat by putting something under the insole to raise it a touch, then work from there.
Old 01-21-21, 11:50 AM
smashndash

Originally Posted by jfranci3
Insoles have a lot of influence here. Try taking them out and see if the world is a better place, repeat by putting something under the insole to raise it a touch, then work from there.
This is a huge pet peeve of mine. Specialized's custom insoles (and, I imagine, most insoles?) have such THICK heel pads that they absolutely ruin any chance at achieving heel lock. Absolutely worthless IMO
Old 01-21-21, 12:11 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
My first thought when I saw this thread - do these shoes get tried on before buying?

I have rarely had heel issues over my many decades of road riding but but toe and forefoot issues have been real. I always do a simple test of any shoe. Put it on with thin socks (often dress but of cycling sock thickness), then stand at the counter on tiptoe and see if my feet slide forward to toenail contact. Are they comfortable as I stand there? A lot of the better brands flunk that test for me. (Every few years, I try the good ones again to see if things have changed.) Lakes pass that test nicely. So I ride them and pass on "better" brands. (Lakes also last forever.)

I have tried on shoes where I knew right away that the heel wasn't going to work for me. Didn't buy them. Easy. I have also modified shoes to work better. Straps have been an issue so on my three most worn pairs I removed the straps and installed laces. (I find it very amusing that shoes with laces cost hundreds, at least last time I looked, and I do my lace modifications at $10/pair and a $10 tool from Tandy's Leather. Use the brass grommets, not the cheap aluminum ones.)
Old 01-21-21, 06:44 PM
Phatman

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
My first thought when I saw this thread - do these shoes get tried on before buying?
Uh, yes? Following the disintegration of my beloved 2008 Specialized BG Pros, I went with a set of Giro’s, which were alright, then I got another set of Giros after that and they changed the sole to have a crazy high built in arch that made my foot fall asleep, so I was focusing on getting a shoe that didn’t have THAT feature when I got my current set of Shimano RP9s. The heel clamping wasn’t really on my radar until I rode with them a few times.

I thought it wasn’t particularly comfortable but I kept riding the shoes, thinking they’d break in but it’s really started to irritate my Achilles’ tendon. That’s what started my quest to find shoes that aren’t crazy heel clampy and it isn’t easy. LBSs carry very little inventory, so everything has to be ordered. I got the shoes I mentioned above from backcountry because they’ve got a pretty good return policy.
Old 01-22-21, 11:29 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
All my road/track shoes are custom or semi-custom. I was thinking about this thread the other day when I jumped on the bike on the trainer, clipped in and started pedaling just fine before attaching the Velcro straps or buckles on my shoes - largely because they fit my heel so snuggly.