Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling Liner and Shorts Question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-21, 02:28 PM
SoFloGirl68

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker and a 1990s Bridgestone MB-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I have two quick questions:
1. Just to be clear, liners are to work under shorts. If I want to wear my workout shorts, I can buy a liner for the comfort of the cushy padding?
2. Any recommendations for reasonably affordable (under $60-ish) women's padded shorts or liners? I bought a pair of Couer but they were $120 and I have a liner my sister-in-law gave me that she bought but decided she didn't want and I'm constantly washing the two. I really need a few more
Thanks for any advice!
Old 01-24-21, 02:34 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,174 Posts
1. Just to be clear, liners are to work under shorts. If I want to wear my workout shorts, I can buy a liner for the comfort of the cushy padding?

Yes

2. Any recommendations for reasonably affordable (under $60-ish) women's padded shorts or liners? I bought a pair of Couer but they were $120 and I have a liner my sister-in-law gave me that she bought but decided she didn't want and I'm constantly washing the two. I really need a few more
Thanks for any advice!

I like the Pearl Izumi brand, many like Assos. The more you pay the better the quality and longevity, generally. I also read somewhere that the contact points with the bike (gloves, seats, shorts, shoes) are a good place to spend money, you get what you pay for. it's been good advice.

I also like the Aero Tech clothing line, reasonable prices, good quality stuff, I have 3 pairs of tights from them plus a few jerseys, all good quality.

Women's Padded Bike Shorts - High Quality Cycling Shorts for Women (aerotechdesigns.com)
Old 01-24-21, 02:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
+1 on the higher quality stuff. It will last a long time and potentially be more comfortable or at least better designed for its purpose. I love Gore Bike Wear a lot but for bibs I have generally been wearing Primal and have been quite happy with comfort. They also do a lot of fun jerseys. I also have been happy with Pactimo and for winter I have a set of Pearl Izumi bibs I got a while back and a Bellwether set that has been fantastic at keeping me decently warm. Granted for those with female genitalia, bibs can be tougher when nature calls, but are probably the most comfortable as they don't shift around as much.

Certain things you can spend less on but any touch points are well worth spending good money. Looking for stuff with fewer seams or higher quality stitching will lead to a lot less discomfort.

I have some various liners probably a lot of Club Ride stuff because I like their shorts and pants just in general but don't care for liners. They aren't super durable and I honestly prefer not wearing shorts and stuff over my cycling attire as it tends to abrade over time and then there goes a nice pair of shorts or pants. Though probably some stuff works better than the lightweight stuff I tend to wear.
Old 01-24-21, 09:58 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by SoFloGirl68
I have two quick questions:
Thanks for any advice!
Buy quality so your not that person who’s butt is showing thru their stretch worn out shorts.
Old 01-24-21, 11:24 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Take a look at REI. I bought some Co-Op liner shorts for under $50.00 and they are comfortable and have held up well. Suggestion...liner shorts work best with gusseted shorts so you're not sitting on a seam.
Likes For MAK:
Old 01-25-21, 09:14 AM
twa

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, 2013 Novara FlyBy (folding), 2021 All-City Space Horse

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Male here but concur with REI/Novara liner rec. Mine are several years old but the padding, leg grippes and waistband are still in good shape. It gets used maybe monthly as I rotate through my shorts collection. I wear it under mtb baggy shorts or normal Costco nylon caego shorts with no problem. Padding is a bit thinner than my road shorts. Looks like the women's version is currently going for $35 at rei.com.
Old 01-25-21, 07:36 PM
SoFloGirl68

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker and a 1990s Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you everyone!!