Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-11, 02:20 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
No, that derailleur is not worth the effort. It's a piece of history but no fun to use.

omgar, that bike was in great shape. The original rider clearly didn't ride it much. Are you looking for something to replace it? How tall are you?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-12-11, 10:51 PM
sjt78

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Pistol
Here is my Super Course in "as found" condition. Rides great and the bar end shifters work smoothly. It just needs a good clean and lube. Maybe some fresh tape and some new tires and call it a day. It's also a Worksop (England) built bike, I'm happy.
I have one of those as well but mine is a bit too small for me. I'll have to measure it and possibly put it up for a trade.
Old 11-13-11, 01:07 AM
omgar

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
No, that derailleur is not worth the effort. It's a piece of history but no fun to use.

omgar, that bike was in great shape. The original rider clearly didn't ride it much. Are you looking for something to replace it? How tall are you?
That derailleur shifted beautifully on that Raleigh. Not sure what it was, but the handful of times I rode it, it shifted extremely smooth.

I was able to find something to replace it, an '84 Lotus Odyssey in my size. I eventually passed it on to a lucky guy via craigslist.
Old 11-13-11, 10:17 AM
tim1217

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
75 sc mkii

Restored this summer. Nevar crank, Hurret derailleur, Weinnman brakes, Nisi rims. Unfortunatley the original Books saddle was changed out for a 'comfier' ride when purchased back in the day...so sad.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0377.jpg (103.9 KB, 1185 views)
Old 11-14-11, 06:07 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by tim1217
Restored this summer. Nevar crank, Hurret derailleur, Weinnman brakes, Nisi rims. Unfortunatley the original Books saddle was changed out for a 'comfier' ride when purchased back in the day...so sad.

Golly, that is one good-looking MkII, tim1217!
(It deserves a new Brooks IMO)
Old 11-15-11, 06:25 PM
sauze

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm going to give it a fully through cleaning when the snow hits (new bar tape too) here's a few pictures of my baby a 1978 Super Course . IMHO one of if not THE best year for the SC (I lucked out big). Found in GREAT shape , only non original bits are the upgraded brakes (600 side pulls) and no Brooks. I've since replaced freewheel / chain / brake pads. Serial # is WP/002//5

*edit I added the pump as well, it did come with a non functioning vintage frame pump.
Old 11-16-11, 06:54 AM
auchencrow

Old 11-16-11, 07:13 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by sauze
I'm going to give it a fully through cleaning when the snow hits (new bar tape too) here's a few pictures of my baby a 1978 Super Course . IMHO one of if not THE best year for the SC (I lucked out big). Found in GREAT shape , only non original bits are the upgraded brakes (600 side pulls) and no Brooks. I've since replaced freewheel / chain / brake pads. Serial # is WP/002//5

Good to see this; makes me feel better about putting Bar-Cons on my '83 SC.

I decided to put new tape on mine.... natural cork color.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-16-11, 07:40 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Perhaps this is the thread for this. I've come across a green 70-73, I guess, Super Course with bad paint but cool Nervex lugs and all the chrome will clean up. It had Campy components and wheels, 27" alloys, and the centerpull Weinmanns. The owner wants it either gone or re-done in the same green with a new decal kit. It has a couple 531 decals, and it's a 58cm with a 56cm top tube.

I have no interest in it, the owner wants to know what it's worth. Truly ugly in present state, owner put reflective tape on it for night riding in Miami, which is understandable; safety and utility come first.

The owner wants to max his revenue (who doesn't) because he wants to build a steel tourer. Is it better to re-do with PC and decals, which I can get done for about $150, then re-assemble and sell, or simply take the hit on the beat-up frame and part it out? You guys know the bike, I don't.
Old 11-16-11, 08:06 AM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Perhaps this is the thread for this. I've come across a green 70-73, I guess, Super Course with bad paint but cool Nervex lugs and all the chrome will clean up. It had Campy components and wheels, 27" alloys, and the centerpull Weinmanns. The owner wants it either gone or re-done in the same green with a new decal kit. It has a couple 531 decals, and it's a 58cm with a 56cm top tube.

I have no interest in it, the owner wants to know what it's worth. Truly ugly in present state, owner put reflective tape on it for night riding in Miami, which is understandable; safety and utility come first.

The owner wants to max his revenue (who doesn't) because he wants to build a steel tourer. Is it better to re-do with PC and decals, which I can get done for about $150, then re-assemble and sell, or simply take the hit on the beat-up frame and part it out? You guys know the bike, I don't.
From a purely financial point of view, it is better to part it out than to drop $150 on PC, another $40 on decals, and then (probably) sell it for around $300.
Of course, if you do beautify it, you'll probably not want to part with it at all.
These are gorgeous, great riding bikes.
Old 11-16-11, 08:21 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by sauze

What kind of freewheel did you put on? Looks like it's ramped? Does it shift well?

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-21-11, 07:16 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 518 Times in 281 Posts
1972 SuperCourse

Here is my 1972 SC. As received on CL, it was all original. The chrome and wheels cleaned up very nicely, and those white Carlton hood covers look new and will outlast us all - they are indestructible, and therefore I assume probably carcinogenic.

I added the Sugino crank (swapped the spindle but kept the 26 tpi cups - it's a standard 68mm BB), and Suntour derailleurs, VO seat and cork wrap. I now have a box set aside with the original Huret shifters, derailleurs, and spoke protector, the green plastic bar tape, Brooks saddle, and crank for safe keeping. Rides very nice now. And BTW, the serial number is on the rear dropout, and is 237xxx with no leading zero. I am supposing it's a '72 from the decals and original components.

Old 11-21-11, 09:10 AM
sauze

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
What kind of freewheel did you put on? Looks like it's ramped? Does it shift well?
I believe it's just a sunrace cheapo freewheel , 15 or so bucks. It is ramped , and with a new chain as well the difference in shifting is night and day. A marked improvement over the standard freewheel design.
Old 11-21-11, 03:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
Here is my 1972 SC. As received on CL, it was all original. The chrome and wheels cleaned up very nicely, and those white Carlton hood covers look new and will outlast us all - they are indestructible, and therefore I assume probably carcinogenic.

I added the Sugino crank (swapped the spindle but kept the 26 tpi cups - it's a standard 68mm BB), and Suntour derailleurs, VO seat and cork wrap. I now have a box set aside with the original Huret shifters, derailleurs, and spoke protector, the green plastic bar tape, Brooks saddle, and crank for safe keeping. Rides very nice now. And BTW, the serial number is on the rear dropout, and is 237xxx with no leading zero. I am supposing it's a '72 from the decals and original components.
Very nice, and very nice work, too.

Yes, according to what I've read on Sheldon's site, it's either a 71 or a 72. I have the same one, and I prefer to call it a 71, for lack of more information. Mine seems to have 24 tpi BB threads, as the BB was replaced by the previous owner. Mine was plucked from the garbage TWICE in its life, several years apart.

I just rode it today, to the pharmacy and the supermarket.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-04-12, 04:24 PM
XLR99

Bikes: 85 Cilo, '91 Bianchi Volpe, '00 Gary Fisher, '74 Raleigh SuperCourse, '06 Soma Groove, '09 Nashbar X

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
'74 SuperCourse. I got it off CL a few years ago. Before picture:

A few after pics. It's done-ish now, except for new decals. It's currently set up with a flip-flop Iro rear hub. The rims are CR18s; this was my first wheel build. The crank is some kind of Shimano I got off ePay for $4, and polished, with an Origin8 44 chainring. I got impatient trying to find a decent used one, and this was closest to the vintage look.

Old 02-04-12, 11:13 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
I finally couldn't stand looking at my old 70's Prugnat lugged SC, and built it up again. It was a single speed for a while, then a 5 speed with moustache bars. Recently tough it had been sitting without a chain or handlebars. It was already repainted black when I got it, so no harm done for originality. I had some black Planet Bike fenders laying around, and some Suntour Mountech. The wheels came from my long since sold turquoise Super Sport, etc etc. It's kind of a Frankenbike, but still has all the class only an old Raleigh seems to have

No pics yet, sorry. I took it on the maiden voyage to work yesterday, and I get off after dark. I was going to get dropped off and ride it home today, but of course it rained ALL day. Someday VERY soon I want to tear it down and do the whole deal. Replacement decals on black Competition style paint or possibly the original green. I always wanted a beautiful green SC, but they always seem to evade me somehow. This one was green, but got spraybombed black a looong time ago. I can only imagine how cool it must have looked with the Prugnat lugs and green paint.,,,,BD

Something like this color is what I'd be shooting for, plus some artistic gold pinstriped lugs....

https://bygonebicyclist.com/images/20...h/IMG_8765.JPG

Last edited by Bikedued; 02-04-12 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-11-12, 08:31 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Adding my recently rehabbed 1981 Super Course 12 to this thread. Its way too big for me (25 1/2 inch frame).

As found. What you can't fully appreciate in the as found pic is the siezed adjustable bb cup, Acera MTB RD, mis-matched wheelset, Mongoose saddle and seat post, stripped out crank arms, etc.

bill
Old 03-11-12, 09:55 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
I have one just like that! They really ride nicely. Mine has been retrofitted with Cyclone M-II and drillium Superbe cranks. One of my definite keepers. Just a cool idea, but if you put about six coats of amber shellac over yellow cloth bar tape, it matches the paint perfectly.,,,,BD
Old 04-02-12, 09:03 AM
tlt31

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Super course

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone have any tips for getting off the BB cups? I was able to remove the cranks, but I'm stumped by the BB cups. I was going to throw in some Ultegra components that I had laying around, e.i. BB, cranks, and rear derailleur.
Old 04-02-12, 04:23 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by tlt31
Does anyone have any tips for getting off the BB cups? I was able to remove the cranks, but I'm stumped by the BB cups. I was going to throw in some Ultegra components that I had laying around, e.i. BB, cranks, and rear derailleur.
This is what you need to know about removing the cups.

Note that it's best not to remove the fixed cup unless you have to due to damage. If you have a late model Super Course, it may be just a matter of finding the right spindle length to effect the proper chainline with your new JIS tapered crank.
If it is an older (pre-77) model, and you plan to convert to cotterless, then Sheldon has some additional input for you.
IMHO, unless there is a pressing need to replace a cottered crank and cups, I would advise that you spare yourself the added expense and difficulty.
Old 04-02-12, 04:26 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by texastwister
a 1976.. I found last week , just finished a quick detailing on it, i believe the Super Course is all original ,not sure if the dirty bartape was white at one time, i have seen some 76 catalogs with black cloth tape ,oh well it will be my neighborhood crusier . i"ll ride it as is with the ripped cloth bartape and weathered cracked tires, i did have to put a rear tube in it though

That's a lovely SC texastwister - DON"T go riding on those old cracked tires though, not even around the 'hood, unless you want to end up with broken collar bone and a full set of dentures.
Old 04-02-12, 07:59 PM
tlt31

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Auchen,

I'm working with the 24tpi pitch rather than the Raleigh proprietary, and it as my understanding that the only thing holding me back was getting the cups off. I already have the Ultegra parts, and the original Raleigh parts are in need of replacing anyways. Using the Ultegra parts was supposed to be my cheaper/easier solution.
Old 04-06-12, 06:34 AM
tlt31

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Sheldon Brown tool didn't work for me. I took it to my bike shop, and they were able to get it off with just the right size wrench. I got everything on last night and took it for a spin. It's definitely a better ride, and despite the components being newer, they don't look too bad on it.
Old 04-09-12, 10:22 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
[QUOTE= i believe the Super Course is all original ,[/QUOTE]

'75 and '76 didn't usually come with a SunTour derailleurs or SR cranks. They were usually supplied with Huret derailleurs and a French crankset; either Stronglight or Nervar. The crankset and SunTour bits were not seen until '77, but then they came with Bar-cons and not DT's. The rest of the components look original, though. The Triangular Carlton fork blade decals are missing, but the Top tube decalling looks amazingly good. Could this be a partial resto? I know that these Calton decals are trickier to find.
Old 04-14-12, 02:58 PM
tlt31

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's where it's at now. A bike shop was able to take off the other cup with a wrench.

Last edited by tlt31; 04-14-12 at 03:02 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.