Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

bike stem solution

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

bike stem solution

Old 07-26-22, 09:50 PM
tulsarob
ebiker

Bikes: engwe 750 engine pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
bike stem solution

I made a drawing but can't post it yet. On my engwe 750 engine pro I have 21mm available steering tube length to mount my 30mm thick stem. The upper stem mounting bolt centerline is in line with the top of the steering tube.

I'm thinking about putting a steering tube diameter spacer below the top cap to support the upper stem bolt compression with a slight gap below the top cap rim. Not sure I need this though. I don't do jumps or hills, just ride around a local sporting clay course on a gravel path. Think this will work?

Wish I could post the drawing, might make things clearer.

I havn't measured the rim dia of the top cap, not sure the stem will compress on it. It seemed like a sloppy fit.

Last edited by tulsarob; 07-26-22 at 09:52 PM. Reason: added to it
Old 07-26-22, 10:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Not exactly sure of the situation but having the stem/steerer clamp's top bolt even with the top of the steerer is what I consider a must. If the steerer doesn't extend above the stem there's generally no need for a spacer above the stem. Andy
Old 07-26-22, 10:39 PM
tulsarob
ebiker

I need to post the drawing I made, it would make it more clear. I have to make 10 posts before I can post an image.
I guess I could reply 9 more times to this lol.
Old 07-26-22, 10:40 PM
tulsarob
ebiker

I guess that why people bump their replys? lol
Old 07-26-22, 10:52 PM
tulsarob
ebiker

well that didn't work. tried to link to the gallery.
I put the drawing pic in the gallery if you can find it lol
Old 07-27-22, 06:42 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 376 Posts
I can't find it. Go to your user profile and create a picture album and post the pic there. It will be easy for others to find.
Old 07-27-22, 07:47 AM
tulsarob
ebiker

Ok, made the album with the pic. Thanks for the idea
Old 07-27-22, 08:02 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 376 Posts
Pic assist. I get squeamish when it comes to steering/handlebar mods. I would advise against this. Can you get a stem with shorter height?

Last edited by gearbasher; 07-27-22 at 08:07 AM.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 07-27-22, 05:07 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I don't like it a bit. The idea of having two clamp bolts is to increase the area under clamping pressure (and add redundnacy). What you propose seems to me like you are "stealing" clamping pressure from the stem and using it to uselessly clamp the spacer. If oversize, the spacer could conceivably compromise the clamping ability of the lower bolt, too.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 07-27-22, 08:14 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Given the height of your handlebar, you should seek another solution. Your proposed "solution" is dangerous, you need a fork with a steerer long enough to provide support through the whole depth of the stem. If you have a failure in that area results can be fatal. Last summer, a local cyclist died when his stem broke as he rode over a speed bump. His bike setup was far less extreme than yours
Old 07-27-22, 09:06 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
You need to find a lower stack headset to pick up 6mm or so of steerer height. I can’t think of any other option aside from replacing the fork with a longer steerer.

John
Old 07-28-22, 04:47 AM
tulsarob
ebiker

I've considered all those things. I talked to a guy at a local bike shop, he suggested I find an old steerer tube and cut a piece off to make the spacer. Even looked at mil spec washers but the correct OD would be hard to find.

If you look at my albums you'll see a pic of a "bike hidden stem extender" I think might work. Most reviews were good, a few thought it might come loose with a hard turn to the left.

I think the best way to mount it would be to split the difference between the steerer tube and the extender with the new stem with headset spacers below the bottom of the new stem and snug the stem bolts. This would ensure alignment for both.
Then tighten the extender bolt using the stem to hold onto to get it tight against the inner wall of the steerer tube. Maybe add some removable loctite?
Then loosen the stem bolts, add headset spacers to the top, and set the headset preload.
Then finally torque the stem bolts.
Ya, that will work, i'm sure of it (final last words lol)
Old 07-28-22, 05:39 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts

​​​​​​
Old 07-28-22, 06:09 AM
tulsarob
ebiker

The first vid is interesting, kinda the same principle as the steerer tube extender. I saw those but wondred how you would preload the head set with one of those. Kind of a okie rigged set up but I guess it would work. I'd hate to take that apart though if I had to.

The second vid... must be nice to have a shop like that lol.
Old 07-28-22, 09:27 AM
tulsarob
ebiker

Here's a shout out to cat0020. I noticed in the electric folding ebike thread you too have the engwe 750 pro with lowered handlebars. Was your steering tube short like mine and how did you solve attaching the extention for mounting the stem?

I tried to send him a message but I havn't reached the 10 post 5 per day thing yet. If someone could hit him up maybe he could view this thread and respond.

I'd appreciate it
Old 07-28-22, 01:05 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Why don’t you flip the stem?
Old 07-28-22, 01:10 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I really like the idea of using the tube extender. If you had a steel steerer and a steel extender, you could actually weld it and then grind it. Lower weight.

As for having a free-floating spacer under the stem where one of the tightening bolts is, it probably is a bit better than tightening a clamp on air (the machinist in me has a big negative reaction to tightening anything onto air). But it's suboptimal and I think dangerous.

Bettter to use the extender idea - this has the stem clamps tightening on an integrated tube.
Old 07-28-22, 01:19 PM
tulsarob
ebiker

It wouldn't make any difference, the bolts are symetrical. Even though my drawing doesn't really look like it.

It's the shortest stem height I could find (30mm) that mounts the way the drawing shows.

I wish someone would link to my photo of the "bike hidden stem extender" in my albums. I'd like to get an opinion on it.

I have 1 posts to go before 10 after this one so I need to use them up today so I can post like a normal person tomorow lol.
Old 07-28-22, 01:27 PM
tulsarob
ebiker

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
I really like the idea of using the tube extender. If you had a steel steerer and a steel extender, you could actually weld it and then grind it. Lower weight.

As for having a free-floating spacer under the stem where one of the tightening bolts is, it probably is a bit better than tightening a clamp on air (the machinist in me has a big negative reaction to tightening anything onto air). But it's suboptimal and I think dangerous.

Bettter to use the extender idea - this has the stem clamps tightening on an integrated tube.
Ok, last post today lol...
Ya the spacer idea was just so the upper bolt would have something to clamp to. The bottom bolt would be doin all the work. I think I'm gonna go with the "bike hidden stem extender".
Had to order it from china, down side is it takes a few weeks to get it.
Old 07-28-22, 02:20 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
You could probably find the 1-1/8” quill to threadless adapter without having to go to China. They are pretty common.

If the threadless steerer ID is the same as a threaded ID, then there would be no difference using it.

The flange nut looks like an interesting work around. I might be inclined to find something with a little bit better interface. A stainless spacer chamfered to fit against the angled reducer section.

John

Edit added: Using a compression plug instead of star nut is a smart idea since you loose access to the quill extender. It would be more of a pain to remove the star nut since you can’t tap it out the bottom of the steerer if you ever needed access.

Last edited by 70sSanO; 07-28-22 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-28-22, 04:28 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
Pic assist. I get squeamish when it comes to steering/handlebar mods. I would advise against this. Can you get a stem with shorter height?

The assembly illustrated in the diagram above is dangerous and exacerbated by the BMX style handlebar and the fact that this is an e-bike. Much safer to just get a fork with a longer steerer tube.
Old 07-29-22, 05:48 AM
tulsarob
ebiker

Here's the hidden stem extender I'm gonna use. Found one on amazon, gettin it tomorow. Ya baby lol.
Likes For tulsarob:
Old 07-29-22, 06:18 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 444 Posts
c-bore a pocket down to the existing steer tube height?
Old 07-29-22, 07:31 AM
tulsarob
ebiker

No it fits right in the tube.

Then I'm gonna put on this like I originally wanted to do

This shows it used on a carbon fiber tube.

Last edited by tulsarob; 07-29-22 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-29-22, 07:50 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
There are a few ways to extend the steertube for mounting different stems on the particular ENGWE ebike, I've tried a several, still trying to finalize the most secure way for myself.

I think the method Gearbasher used is fine, as long as the top cap keeps a decent amount of tension on the whole setup.

I've also tried the hidden same hidden stem extender, it is made of aluminum, the center bolt is aluminum, too.. easily stripped when you try to torque it down. Also it is more difficult to have proper tension for it to secure the headset without a top cap that's threaded.

I currently have this steertube extender installed, easily combined with different MTB stems, not the lightest setup, but with a top cap and long bolt to use existing star nut in the steertube: : https://www.ebay.com/itm/154650501497

If I ever find an aluminum BMX high rise handlebar, I'll probably go with something similar to gearbasher's setup; I don't think it's anymore dangerous than other setups for my riding; that's just me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.