Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone muck about with reprogramming shift levers in Di2?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-10-22, 12:56 PM
roadie276

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

I noticed the Di2 shift lever functions are completely remappable using the Shimano E-Tube app, at least for the new 12 speed Di2. I'm curious if anyone ever tried something other than the traditional shifter configuration? Cool that you can do that, even if it's not necessarily useful for the average person. : )
Old 08-10-22, 01:08 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Doing it right now on a bike I am building up.

This is a useful website:
https://bettershifting.com/di2-e-tub...and-downloads/
Old 08-10-22, 01:32 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
After using STI levers for 16 years, I wanted my then-new Di2 bike to shift in the same manner -- so I did not get creative with the programming. I'll bet virtually all Di2 users stick with the standard configuration. On the other hand, I have used the top-of-hood auxiliary buttons for a couple different purposes over the years -- at first they were secondary rd shifters (left button UP the cassette, right button DOWN the cassette), but now they are programmed to flip the page on my computer screen.
Old 08-10-22, 01:46 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
I set my Di2 (11sp) so that I only shift the right lever. I never use the left one.
Old 08-10-22, 01:50 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Thinking about it. I have an 1X XT system on a my hard tail, with a SRAM 1X system on my FS. The SRAM levers operate the reverse of how Shimano works, but I know I can swap the action in E-Tube for my HT. Might do it this fall when I ride these bikes more often.
Old 08-10-22, 02:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I use use the right shifter almost exclusively. However the one or two times during every ride I want to get immediately to the big or small ring with out going through the cogs on the rear just makes it hard to want to have the paddles on the left shifter do anything else.

With the buttons underneath the top of the hoods that you can assign to control your Garmin or other device if you have D-fly for your 11 speed or less Di2, I haven't even seen a need for any other things to re-assign the left shifter to.
Old 08-10-22, 02:27 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Right side normal up and down but left lever shifts to big ring and button cassette down. Top buttons Garmin.
Old 08-10-22, 04:21 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
I have programmed the top "hidden hood" buttons to shift the rear derailleur in either direction, but in all honestly I rarely use them. I should get the wireless module so I can flip Garmin pages.

My time trial bike is in "full syncro" mode, so the buttons only shift up or down the gear range, the front derailleur is completely controlled by the Di2 brain.
Old 08-10-22, 10:21 PM
roadie276

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
My time trial bike is in "full syncro" mode, so the buttons only shift up or down the gear range, the front derailleur is completely controlled by the Di2 brain.
Oh yeah, I still have to play with those. Tempted to see if I can make fully synchronized mode work; I figure I can set it to auto-shift at the furthest places I usually stay in, and then if I want to shift earlier, I can.
Old 08-11-22, 10:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Auto-shift? It doesn't shift for you. You still tell it when to shift.
Old 08-11-22, 11:29 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
I have programmed the top "hidden hood" buttons to shift the rear derailleur in either direction, but in all honestly I rarely use them. I should get the wireless module so I can flip Garmin pages.

Totally worth the small cost. You'll also get a Di2 battery level readout on your Garmin, as well as a gear position indicator. The latter is surprisingly useful if you live in a hilly area: when you're on a really steep climb, a glance at the computer will indicate whether you still have a bailout gear available.
Old 08-11-22, 11:54 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by roadie276
I noticed the Di2 shift lever functions are completely remappable using the Shimano E-Tube app, at least for the new 12 speed Di2. I'm curious if anyone ever tried something other than the traditional shifter configuration? Cool that you can do that, even if it's not necessarily useful for the average person. : )
I played with it at first, but quickly returned to the standard configuration. It's perfect for me. Hoods (hidden) buttons are set to shift and downshift my RD when I am in ''fake TT'' position. I know a lot of us are using them to jump from a page to another on our computers.

Personally, I hate full synchro. Why? I almost never shift from a chainring to another at the same speed / time and on the same rear gear so I like to keep control of that.

I don't need the small chainring often anyways, except when I ride in the mountains. At the speed I am going, my 52T offers plenty of range.
Old 08-11-22, 12:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Totally worth the small cost. You'll also get a Di2 battery level readout on your Garmin, as well as a gear position indicator. The latter is surprisingly useful if you live in a hilly area: when you're on a really steep climb, a glance at the computer will indicate whether you still have a bailout gear available.
​​​​​​Do you have a Garmin without touch screen or something? It's at least as easy to change pages by swiping to either side as it is to find a button.

I love having the battery % and not having to screw around with a color coded light under my stem.
Old 08-11-22, 12:47 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​Do you have a Garmin without touch screen or something? It's at least as easy to change pages by swiping to either side as it is to find a button.

I love having the battery % and not having to screw around with a color coded light under my stem.
I actually have a Wahoo computer -- no touch screen. But even when I did briefly have a Garmin, I liked the bt connection. I mostly ride gravel, and on a rough road, when I want to keep both hands on the handlebar, the ability to change screens with those auxiliary buttons is nice. And I agree on the battery % readout!

The other thing that I recall from the Garmin (but not avail on the Wahoo) is that, after a ride, I could see a screen which showed the number of times each derailleur was shifted. Not essential, but kind of fun.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-11-22, 11:11 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 195 Posts
Being very much accustomed to Ergo levers before I got a Di2 setup, I seriously thought about remapping the buttons to be more like Campy since early on it was very easy to miss-shift by pressing the wrong buttons. But ultimately decided against it on the grounds that there would still be a learning curve to get comfortable with new shifters anyways, might as well keep things simple and just get used to the default which works perfectly fine. And a few more weeks of riding later I had no more concerns, just took a while to build a new shifting habit.
Old 08-12-22, 03:06 AM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
Being very much accustomed to Ergo levers before I got a Di2 setup, I seriously thought about remapping the buttons to be more like Campy since early on it was very easy to miss-shift by pressing the wrong buttons. But ultimately decided against it on the grounds that there would still be a learning curve to get comfortable with new shifters anyways, might as well keep things simple and just get used to the default which works perfectly fine. And a few more weeks of riding later I had no more concerns, just took a while to build a new shifting habit.
Same here; I programmed them to mimic my Ergo levers. The wrinkle came when I bought my GRX equipped gravel bike. Keeps me on my toes😳
Old 08-12-22, 07:06 AM
TennBent

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine, Obed Baseline

Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Wow, I'm glad this thread was started. I just took delivery of a new bike yesterday that came with the new Ultegra Di2 semi-wireless system. It's my first foray into Di2 and I was trying to think of what I might use the hood buttons for. Good suggestions here.
Old 08-12-22, 07:59 AM
clichty

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RCS, Serotta Ti, Felt F55, Surly Ogre

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TennBent
Wow, I'm glad this thread was started. I just took delivery of a new bike yesterday that came with the new Ultegra Di2 semi-wireless system. It's my first foray into Di2 and I was trying to think of what I might use the hood buttons for. Good suggestions here.
Me too!

I didn't even have to program my Wahoo/DA12 speed units for the hoods to control my Wahoo. Just connected so I could see the gears on my screen (which is so much cooler than my super old DA with the little red indicator on the wires) and after reading this thread I tried using the hood buttons and it works! Super slick and not having to take my hands off the hoods to control the screen (great to move between GPS and the main screen). Will be awesome in colder months when using gloves.
Likes For clichty:
Old 08-12-22, 01:18 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
I configured my GRX with full synchro. Both right shifter paddle buttons are down, both left shifter paddles are up. The top (inner) buttons are inverted. So if I ever lost one side I'd still be able to shift up/down.
I did tweak my ratios a bit, I smoothed out the rear jump ratio (it's a 2x configuration).
Old 08-12-22, 01:31 PM
roadie276

Originally Posted by clichty
Me too!

I didn't even have to program my Wahoo/DA12 speed units for the hoods to control my Wahoo. Just connected so I could see the gears on my screen (which is so much cooler than my super old DA with the little red indicator on the wires) and after reading this thread I tried using the hood buttons and it works! Super slick and not having to take my hands off the hoods to control the screen (great to move between GPS and the main screen). Will be awesome in colder months when using gloves.
Yep, this is also me (thus the post); on a new bike for a couple of months now, and am poking about at things now that I've settled in a bit. Lots of good info here. I've got one ride in w/the new shifter configuration; basically:
- left shifter = downshifting
- right shifter = upshifting
...with lower levers for the rear derailleur, and the upper levers for the front derailleur. I mostly want a bit more symmetry in shifting between hands; right now I do 85% of my shifting with just my right hand.

I'm also about to try out the fully synchronized shifting for the heck of it today as well.
Likes For roadie276:
Old 08-14-22, 12:40 PM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
On 12-speed bikes I tend to set the left hood button to "function". It'll then act just like the button on the rear derailleur, so you can enter adjustment mode / Bluetooth connection mode / change shift mode without getting off the bike ;-)
Likes For TerryDi2C:
Old 08-14-22, 03:27 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
I played with it at first, but quickly returned to the standard configuration. It's perfect for me. Hoods (hidden) buttons are set to shift and downshift my RD when I am in ''fake TT'' position. I know a lot of us are using them to jump from a page to another on our computers.
Can they be programmed to open your garage door?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-14-22, 03:56 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Damn. That'd actually be handy! 😂 Left hood button for the garage door, right hood button for the front gate!
Old 08-14-22, 09:27 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Damn. That would be great.