Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Saddle choices for those 50+ w/prostate issues

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-22, 08:04 PM
tenniscyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

What are the most prostate-friendly choices re: saddles for those 50+? Just looking for specific recommendations to reduce generalized irritation as much as possible. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-22, 08:33 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Anatomy seems to vary a lot between people, so it's hard to generalize. Something with a significant cutout seems likely to work. I suggest finding a shop that has a sale lending program and experimenting.
Old 04-25-22, 07:26 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I use the BiSaddle on my 3 bikes. Adjustable and comfortable for my rides.
Old 04-25-22, 07:49 AM
Bosco13

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 18 Posts
I don't think prostate issues have anything to do with saddle choice. Pick what feels good.
Old 04-25-22, 09:14 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
Its generally a counter intuitive issue. Less is more.
Old 06-12-22, 09:50 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,600 Times in 2,907 Posts
I have issues as well and have found that the Selle Italia site has many options with large cutouts to relieve pressure there. Good luck. Oh and shops which sell Selle, have a trail ride program so you can check out a seat for a period and return it and try another, etc.

Old 06-12-22, 11:11 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
For me. both cutouts and grooves work. I love the Terry Flys and use the plastic covered Specialized grooved seats on my city bikes that get parked in the rain. But I'll second going to shops with good trial policies. A local shop has one that I think is brilliant. A saddle library with around two dozen different seats. You buy a library card for $25 that allows you to take out any seat for a week. You can try as many as you like. Find "the one" and they will sell you a new boxed one and refund your $25.

I am told I have an enlarged prostate every physical that affects my urinating but doesn't seem to be an issue on the bike. The cutouts are more about less pressure on my perineum. So the seats I now ride are very similar to what I used to race - except no material at the center. But that's me. I think (no, I haven't looked) that we are as different down there as our faces are different. I base this on what I've watched people ride in complete comfort over the past 50 years. (I did an epic training ride in my racing days with a fellow on his Brooks Pro. I was on a Selle Italia. Two radically different seats! We joked early on that the other was riding our torture chamber. Many hills and hours later, we were two hammered bodies struggling to get back to the car; parked in a town at the top of a hill. Hammered but our butts were OK (on their very different seats).
Old 07-20-22, 11:57 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Bosco13
I don't think prostate issues have anything to do with saddle choice. Pick what feels good.
Obviously you are not speaking from experience. That’s the problem with the internet - a lot of uniformed speculation without first hand experience.

Sitting on a saddle for years led to urinary urgency and weak stream due to the compression of perineal nerve. Saw a neurologist and urologist which came up with the diagnosis. To test it, I took a bike free trip abroad for a month and returned to the U.S. miraculously cured. Got back on the bike and within a week the symptoms reoccurred. Now I am taking a prescription medication daily to reduce the symptoms since I won’t give up the bike.

Old 07-21-22, 08:23 AM
Bosco13

Originally Posted by rsbob
Obviously you are not speaking from experience. That’s the problem with the internet - a lot of uniformed speculation without first hand experience.

Sitting on a saddle for years led to urinary urgency and weak stream due to the compression of perineal nerve. Saw a neurologist and urologist which came up with the diagnosis. To test it, I took a bike free trip abroad for a month and returned to the U.S. miraculously cured. Got back on the bike and within a week the symptoms reoccurred. Now I am taking a prescription medication daily to reduce the symptoms since I won’t give up the bike.
Obviously your wrong as I'm speaking from experience. My saddles are the same before and after. At least that's MY experience. YMMV.
Old 07-21-22, 08:55 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Obviously your wrong as I'm speaking from experience. My saddles are the same before and after. At least that's MY experience. YMMV.
Because you have no issues does not mean that you can extrapolate that you are the poster child for all mankind. Of course you have that choice which it appears you are taking. Since you are dismissing my direct experience and medical opinion, it appears that facts mean nothing in your world. Unfortunately your credibility just took a major hit and will now do so on all future posts .

Have a nice day

Old 07-21-22, 11:08 AM
Bosco13

Originally Posted by rsbob
Because you have no issues does not mean that you can extrapolate that you are the poster child for all mankind. Of course you have that choice which it appears you are taking. Since you are dismissing my direct experience and medical opinion, it appears that facts mean nothing in your world. Unfortunately your credibility just took a major hit and will now do so on all future posts .

Have a nice day
My response was due to your assumption that I had no experience or first hand knowledge, which is clearly incorrect. My statement in my original post also started with "I don't think" so I was not trying to be a know it all.

Hope everything works out for you.
Old 07-29-22, 05:31 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
YOUR PROSTATE EXPERIENCE is owned by you and has NO BEARING (r.e.- possible discomfort experienced) that any other individual might have thanks to their anatomical differences.

I am a 7 year GLEASON 10 PCa patient and I could never say -- "I don't think prostate issues have anything to do with ??? " because even though we share of the same origin of the issue every man is different.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 07-29-22 at 05:41 AM.
Old 08-01-22, 07:39 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
I rode 21 miles on a new SQ Lab 612 saddle yesterday. On first look it seems as hard as a rock, but I could feel it keeping my sit bones elevated while at the same time providing enough of a cut out to not squish my nether regions. I found that I wasnt constantly shifting around in the saddle either. Good luck!