Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

People honking at me triggers my RAGE

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

People honking at me triggers my RAGE

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-15, 12:32 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you honk to alert the cyclist of your presence then realize that in spite of your intention, your honk will probably not be heard that way. Use the horn for emergencies. A lot of us have been victimized by drivers who honk and then quickly pass too close. The meaning of the honk was "watch out for me and shame on you if you don't allow me room". If you think your honks vs theirs are quickly distinguished by the cyclist you're WRONG.
Old 12-16-15, 12:53 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by justadude
...I sincerely wish you a nice day!
Given your multiple posts of sincerity, good wishes and good intentions to everybody, I recommend that you apply your noise making good wishes for some useful purpose:

Old 12-16-15, 01:06 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Honking is Good...It Means they See You...Just wave at them.
I had a log truck honk, maybe 1/4 mile behind me. Just a light tap on the horn. Plenty of time for me to turn around and see what was coming down the road... and make sure I was safely as far over on the shoulder as I could go.

Sorry, I'm not one to insist on riding down the middle of the lane when 50 tons of steel and trees are coming up behind me.
Old 12-16-15, 01:28 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
For the pro-honkers...maybe it's time you landlubbers adopt a standard! Of course, in any setting where there is more than a car or two, think of the cacophony!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ROTR.jpg (99.4 KB, 39 views)
Old 12-16-15, 01:47 PM
justadude

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Given your multiple posts of sincerity, good wishes and good intentions to everybody, I recommend that you apply your noise making good wishes for some useful purpose:

I agree, I-Like-To-Bike, and I wish you a nice day too!!
Old 12-16-15, 01:59 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Way back in driver's ed they showed us a video intended for delivery drivers - I don't know why. It featured the drivers giving a friendly toot-toot in almost every situation. As I recall it cracked us the hell up.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-16-15, 02:01 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
For the pro-honkers...maybe it's time you landlubbers adopt a standard! Of course, in any setting where there is more than a car or two, think of the cacophony!

Semaphoric humor
Old 12-16-15, 11:26 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Honking etiquette is really good here in Japan. I have only heard a long loud honk a few times in 7 years. Most times people will give a short toot to wake drivers up or let the other driver aware of their presence.
Old 12-17-15, 07:20 AM
canadian deacon

Bikes: Ratty ol' fixed gear and a 2013 Kona Dew Deluxe (SS conversion)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
Cycling is supposed to be a stress-reducer.

Any chance you can shift your work hours and ride in a little earlier when traffic is lighter? When I ride in at 6:45 AM I notice things are much calmer than when I leave at 7:30.
+1. I leave the house at 5 am and get to work around 6 am. I leave work around 3:30 pm. I asked to have my work hours adjusted because of the increased traffic volumes after 4 pm and the present management complied.
Old 12-17-15, 08:34 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Time of day definitely makes a difference. I leave home at 6AM, the latest. Traffic is very sparse, especially on the secondary roads that I take. I haven't heard any kind of honking in weeks.

Leaving work at 3:30 and using the same route, there is at least 2x or 3x more traffic, but still no honking. My feeling is that if you look like you know what you're doing motorists tend to trust that this is the right thing to be doing if you're on a bike. I mean, would you honk at a pedestrian crossing at a green light? At a motorist who actually stops at a stop sign instead of rolling through?
Old 12-17-15, 08:40 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Time of day definitely makes a difference. I leave home at 6AM, the latest. Traffic is very sparse, especially on the secondary roads that I take. I haven't heard any kind of honking in weeks.

Leaving work at 3:30 and using the same route, there is at least 2x or 3x more traffic, but still no honking. My feeling is that if you look like you know what you're doing motorists tend to trust that this is the right thing to be doing if you're on a bike. I mean, would you honk at a pedestrian crossing at a green light? At a motorist who actually stops at a stop sign instead of rolling through?
Same here. It is exceedingly rare for me to have anyone honking at me on my 31 mile RT commute.
Old 12-17-15, 09:01 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Semaphoric humor
Careful or you'll be "flagged" as inappropriate. Don't o-pun that door! (best one I've seen in months!)
Old 12-17-15, 12:52 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rushncrush
I'm a nice person but disrespecting me, or being plan ignorant takes me from cool and collected to raging mad man in a matter of miliseconds.. Literally almost been in a few fist fights during my travels.. Some probably would have been if I could have caught them..

Whats the best way to deal with this? I have zero tolerance for the imbeciles
Not give a excrement. That's what I do.
Old 12-17-15, 12:53 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wonder what ever happened to the OP here. Despite all his rage, is he still just a rat in a cage?
Old 12-17-15, 02:52 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
I've got the same problem. I live in the South; people are armed here; I'm worried that some day, if I knock on somebody's window after they piss me off, I'll be rewarded with a shotgun blast to the face. So, I'm doing my best to chill out.

The big thing: work on lowering the stress levels in the rest of your life. Something is putting you on a hair trigger. Figure out what it is and modify it. Something not going right with your spouse/s.o.? Talk it out. Unhappy at work? Take some steps toward changing your job. None of this stuff is easy, but it might save your life.

Meanwhile, little strategies can help. I glued a pebble to my handlebars, which is supposed to be my reminder to chill out and let the bad vibes roll off. I think, by daily repetition, it's starting to work. And I'm seriously thinking about hanging an 11 x 16" portrait of Jeff Bridges as the Dude over the spot where I park my bike, just to give me some good vibes. Abide, my friend.
Old 12-17-15, 03:27 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by BobbyG
Careful or you'll be "flagged" as inappropriate. Don't o-pun that door! (best one I've seen in months!)
In the banned users thread, sometimes you see people ejected for "accumulated points," but there's nothing in the terms of use suggesting puns are against the rules.
Old 12-17-15, 03:57 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
In the banned users thread, sometimes you see people ejected for "accumulated points," but there's nothing in the terms of use suggesting puns are against the rules.
There's a reason it's called punishment.
Old 12-17-15, 05:00 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
@brianinc-ville, how common is it for someone to shoot another on the road? It sure is an awful way to die, but perhaps fearing it is out of proportion to the risk?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-28-15, 09:36 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@brianinc-ville, how common is it for someone to shoot another on the road? It sure is an awful way to die, but perhaps fearing it is out of proportion to the risk?
Probably true -- but surely it's still a good idea to avoid angry conflicts in any case?
Old 12-29-15, 11:47 AM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I take comfort in the knowledge that the other drivers think these people are idiots too.

- Andy
Old 12-29-15, 12:36 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@justadude, you have said more than once that you're leaving the discussion, and clearly you want to have the last word. The consensus here is that your ideas are not so great. You're free to disagree, but I think it would be valuable if you considered that we have ideas that could help improve your driving. Sometimes it's hard to consider that our own ideas are not the best, but it's useful. Every time I have a close call, I try to get over my reflex of believing "the other guy" was at fault. I ask myself if it was my fault, fully or partially, and even if it's not, I ask myself if there's a way to avoid what happened or at least mitigate some aspects of it. Maybe you're not as sensitive to honking sounds when you're on your bike, and that means you don't know how jarring it is to the rest of us. You don't really want to jar people's nerves, do you? And besides the fact that it's at least a little upsetting, as we've already said, it's not even necessary to honk when you're passing. So when you combine the facts that a car horn honking at a cyclist (1) is upsetting and (2) is unnecessary, that makes it a bad idea in general. Horn sounds enter a cyclist's ear much more strongly than a motorist's ear.

It almost always is, in some way. I don't mean you specifically, but any of us. I picked this post out because it seems to me to be the right answer to "having no patience with imbeciles."

Given the wrong circumstances we all act like "imbeciles" compared to someone, disturbing as that may be. And those who are frequently upset, or even constantly "shaking my head" at others, are often just missing something. Again, I don't mean OP but it's human nature. The more often we get upset or think that everyone else is acting stupidly, the more likely it is that we are overlooking something critical, or simply don't know as much as we think we do about it. So noglider's policy is a wise one: our very first reaction should be to objectively analyze the event, before making any judgement or any reaction.
Old 12-29-15, 12:58 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
Yup. Everyone is a jerk, sometimes. I am, sometimes, and so are you, sometimes (for all values of "I" and "you").

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-30-15, 08:55 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Two surveys to note: 1) 2012 consumer report top driver gripes; 2) 2015 Expedia Road Rage report. Do a search on the word "bicycle". You'll find that amongst motorists they have a lot more to worry about than just bicycles.
Old 01-30-16, 01:30 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by justadude
You guys are 100% right. All honking is bad, in any and every circumstance. I am going to remove the horn from my car right now. I don't know what I was thinking before. I will be angry and complain about it, whenever other drivers honk their horns.
What's bad is the sort of ill-defined and unnecessary honking you describe.

If I hear a horn, I assume there is an impending problem. I then have to look around to see what I missed ... and if what I "missed" was a car I heard coming several seconds ago (as you do when you ride) then what happens is I am looking everywhere except back at the approaching car, trying to find the hazard of which he was warning me--and thus increasing risk for all parties.

Use your horn to warn of hazards, please. If your approaching me is not hazardous, please don't use your horn. It is like walking into a theater, seeing a friend, and shouting "Fire!!" Rarely brings good results.

As a cyclist, you know how easy it is to detect cars, and how unnecessary it is to be honked at just because a car is coming. Imagine if Everybody who passed a cyclist honked?

Anyway ... it seems to me that because you ride, you are making an extra effort to be cyclist-friendly, which I thoroughly applaud. Obviously, however, you are being misunderstood. Now that the misunderstanding has been cleared up, no more honking, right? Because the last thing you had ever wanted to do was make things harder on fellow cyclists--Just the opposite.

As for the OP---it has taken me a while, but now my immediate response to being shouted at by ignorant drivers is to smile and forget them.

Oh ,,, and thanks for the entertainment.
Old 01-30-16, 09:02 AM
bfuser284953024

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think a "honk" and a "toot" (lol) are very different. A honk indicates a hazard. A toot is a heads-up.

That said, I think there's a lot of great suggestions in this thread! Travel at different times, find an alternative route with less traffic, take an anger management class. My father, recovering addict with loads of anger issues, always suggests reading The Angry Book. Its very cheap on Amazon. He had me read it years ago. I didn't even realize I had anger issues!

Though, I will say, the one thing that happens on my commute that drives me absolutely bonkers is morning joggers running in my bike lane. Pisses me off, and forces me to merge with traffic to avoid them. I got "bumped" a few weeks ago, when I merged, and a car pushed my bike tire since they didn't slow fast enough. All because a lady jogging with her baby in a giant stroller.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.