Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Fuji Touring (2015 model)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-15, 10:47 AM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

So, opinions?

Fuji Bikes | LIFESTYLE | CROSS TERRAIN | TOURING

I like it!

- Andy

Last edited by TransitBiker; 12-31-15 at 10:51 AM.
Likes For TransitBiker:
Old 12-31-15, 10:57 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
It was one of the ones that I was considering when I purchased my Kona Sutra: the others were a Brodie Elan and the Cinelli Bootleg Hobo. The Hobo was my favourite but I got a great deal on the Kona and I couldn't find a dealer (in Toronto, in 2013) that had a Hobo.
Old 12-31-15, 11:02 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
For the price on a new touring bike, it's hard to beat, period.

That said, I picked up a 2009 fuji touring second hand recently. I was not overly impressed with the quality of the parts on the bike but the parts on the '015 model are frankly better (real shimano hubs and not some junky fuji knockoff and a much better choice in a crank).
Old 12-31-15, 11:12 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by TransitBiker
So, opinions?

Fuji Bikes | LIFESTYLE | CROSS TERRAIN | TOURING

I like it!

- Andy
It's an okay bike that's a pretty good value. Nothing too special but not too many warts either. However...

I thought you "were sooo done with rim brakes!". This isn't a bike that could be easily converted to discs. The rear disc is just plain out. I suppose that you could have someone add disc tabs to the rear but that isn't going to be cheap. It may not even be possible. The tubes on the nondrive side may not be strong enough to withstand the braking force.

You could put discs on the front but that's still going to be expensive. You'd need a new fork, a new wheel and a disc caliper. All in you'd be looking at $150 to $250 depending on the quality of the parts. If you don't install the parts yourself, you are looking at another $150 to $200 for labor. That's adding a lot to the cost of the bike and getting it pretty close to the price of a LHT Disc Trucker.

Bottom line: It's a good bike as it sits. It's not necessarily a good bike for you if you start fiddling with it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-31-15, 05:25 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute
It's an okay bike that's a pretty good value. Nothing too special but not too many warts either. However...

I thought you "were sooo done with rim brakes!". This isn't a bike that could be easily converted to discs. The rear disc is just plain out.
As dead set that you were to switch to disc brakes this should be a deal breaker for you. This isn't like buying a bike with tires that you don't like or a saddle that doesn't work for you. This is something that you will have to live with. Are you ready to invest in a bike that is missing one of the major features that you were looking for.

I don't think that I like to ride home with a new bike wishing that I had something else.
Old 12-31-15, 11:45 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike is nice enough and sits right in the touring category.

But my first thought was, "There are no disc brakes."
Old 01-01-16, 09:45 AM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
FWIW, the BikesDirect "Windsor Tourist" is generally acknowledged to be a knockoff of the Fuji Touring. Depending on which sub-model you get and the particular component selection, it can be a better deal.

Disclaimer: Bought the Windsor for my teen a couple of years ago. Very, very good value.
Old 01-01-16, 01:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
The Windsor Tourist is very differently specs though. The Windsor comes with Sora/Tiagra STI and a crank with a 30t small ring. It's also has some no name hubs.

The Fuji has Deore hubs and crank with a 26t small ring, and also has bar ends for shifting.

Pretty different specs.
Old 01-01-16, 01:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
The 16 Fuji Touring is a really solid entry level tourer. I could see it bei g great for commuter duty too.
Old 01-02-16, 01:38 AM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I thought you "were sooo done with rim brakes!". This isn't a bike that could be easily converted to discs. The rear disc is just plain out. I suppose that you could have someone add disc tabs to the rear but that isn't going to be cheap. It may not even be possible. The tubes on the nondrive side may not be strong enough to withstand the braking force.

You could put discs on the front but that's still going to be expensive. You'd need a new fork, a new wheel and a disc caliper. All in you'd be looking at $150 to $250 depending on the quality of the parts. If you don't install the parts yourself, you are looking at another $150 to $200 for labor. That's adding a lot to the cost of the bike and getting it pretty close to the price of a LHT Disc Trucker.

Bottom line: It's a good bike as it sits. It's not necessarily a good bike for you if you start fiddling with it.
Originally Posted by gregjones
As dead set that you were to switch to disc brakes this should be a deal breaker for you. This isn't like buying a bike with tires that you don't like or a saddle that doesn't work for you. This is something that you will have to live with. Are you ready to invest in a bike that is missing one of the major features that you were looking for.

I don't think that I like to ride home with a new bike wishing that I had something else.
Um this isn't "for me". I wanted people's impressions & opinions.

- Andy
Old 01-02-16, 09:09 AM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who are we critiquing it for? There is a usual assumption when one posts a new bike with a call for opinions that the bike is for you.

It may have been better to ask, "So I'm looking at a bike for____, opinions?"

It looks like a great entry level bike. A solid frame and good components. I've personally found bar ends not practical for my riding style, how does this person ride? I do think discs are the way to go these days. That being said rim brakes are more than adequate and not going anywhere.

In general it's a solid bike and would be more than sufficient to most people wanting to get into commuting and touring and weekend rides without a large financial burden.
Old 01-02-16, 10:17 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Um this isn't "for me". I wanted people's impressions & opinions.

- Andy
And you got them. It's a fairly good touring bike of good value for someone who isn't adamantly against rim brakes. It's not a bike that is worth trying to retrofit for disc brakes.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-02-16, 03:08 PM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
Who are we critiquing it for? There is a usual assumption when one posts a new bike with a call for opinions that the bike is for you.

It may have been better to ask, "So I'm looking at a bike for____, opinions?"

It looks like a great entry level bike. A solid frame and good components. I've personally found bar ends not practical for my riding style, how does this person ride? I do think discs are the way to go these days. That being said rim brakes are more than adequate and not going anywhere.

In general it's a solid bike and would be more than sufficient to most people wanting to get into commuting and touring and weekend rides without a large financial burden.
Thank you for the input, how are you doing these days? back on 2 wheels yet?

And you got them. It's a fairly good touring bike of good value for someone who isn't adamantly against rim brakes. It's not a bike that is worth trying to retrofit for disc brakes.
Mhm. I did find some decent brake pads which are on my uptown now, and something like those would be what i'd be using. I simply want something where the braking equipment is simple to maintain, is that too much to ask?

I am sure i didn't use the brakes properly on my breezer. It isn't meant to speed down trails in a park like my cruiser could, my cruiser had a beefy coaster brake. I did that for the first 3 months and nearly ruined the rims. Next thing i will need is a new set of both rims and spokes.... IF i cannot afford that, i'll be SOL.

- Andy
Old 01-02-16, 04:43 PM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am sure i didn't use the brakes properly on my breezer. It isn't meant to speed down trails in a park like my cruiser could, my cruiser had a beefy coaster brake. I did that for the first 3 months and nearly ruined the rims. Next thing i will need is a new set of both rims and spokes.... IF i cannot afford that, i'll be SOL.

- Andy
Dayyum. I hit 30+ on a downhill on my Breezer but managed to not ruin my rims with my braking technique. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Old 01-03-16, 01:27 PM
cyccommute 

Mhm. I did find some decent brake pads which are on my uptown now, and something like those would be what i'd be using. I simply want something where the braking equipment is simple to maintain, is that too much to ask?
I'm not sure what you are looking for in brakes. Personally, I don't find any kind of rim brake difficult to maintain. Disc certainly aren't any easier to set up and they have the flaw of needing hyper-straight rotors. I have yet to find a rotor out of the box that doesn't have to be trued and they aren't that easy to true. Truing a wheel is much easier because you have fine adjustment. Truing a rotor is a rather ham handed affair. Bend it a little, check it, bend it a little in another place, check it, you bent it to much, bend it back, check it. There is no room for any kind of error.

- Andy
Your "beefy coaster brake" is about the worst brake in the world both in how to maintain it and how effective it is. I have no problem with speed of any kind with a rim brake. I've done 55mph on a tandem with only rim brakes. I've done 50+ mph on a fully loaded touring bike (probably pushing 300lb in rider, bike and gear) more times than I can count with rim brakes. I've done thousands of mountain bike miles with rim brakes and I'm not exactly slow nor cautious on a mountain bike. In, roughly, 150,000 miles of riding in all kinds of conditions, I've worn through a rims 2 or 3 times. Not a set of rims but only 2 or 3 individual rims. If you are blowing through a set of rims in 3 months, you are doing something wrong.

I suspect that you are dragging the brake on downhills. Learn a different technique. Let the bike roll, hit the brakes hard to scrub speed and then get off them. Don't just clamp on the brake at the top of a hill and keep them on until you reach the bottom. Even with a coaster brake...especially with a coaster brake...dragging a brake from top to bottom is a way of wearing out the brakes. With a coaster brake, it's a way of not having any brakes at all when the mechanism overheats.

Old 05-21-16, 11:57 AM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I was riding the brakes on fairly steep downhills. Oops!

The rims are not the bad guy here, the way I was using super hard brake pads is the problem. I have since corrected my technique. I also have stopped trying to slow on hills where I don't need to.

I plan to replace the rims when needed with similar if not same model, as i am very happy with them overall. The new back tire is a 58 psi continental touring plus (26 x 1.75), which does not push on the rim wall as much as the old kenda kwik (26x1.50) at 80 psi. It's a great setup, because it gives me some more suspension especially with loaded grocery bags.

- Andy