Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I'm new to road biking

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I'm new to road biking

Old 10-09-21, 09:36 PM
jennyshop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm new to road biking

Hi All-
I'm looking to start up road cycling. I don't want to spend $1K+ on a bike and it ends up collecting dusts. I looked around and saw this bike: Giant OCR 1, asking price $450. It's over 18 year old so I was a little surprised. Is this a decent deal or just way overpriced? Also, if I don't get this, do you guys have a recommendation for a road bike for beginners?

Thanks.
Old 10-09-21, 09:55 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 977 Posts
My recommendation is to visit some local shops, figure out what you like and don't like, get a feel for the size bike you need and then start your shopping adventure. If on the other hand, you have already done that, does this bike fit you, is it in good condition, have you ridden it, does it look and feel mechanically sound?

Old 10-10-21, 01:36 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Almost impossible to advise on value without more info and pictures. Multiple detailed pictures once you have made enough posts to be able to upload them
Old 10-10-21, 10:54 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 677 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
My recommendation is to visit some local shops, figure out what you like and don't like, get a feel for the size bike you need and then start your shopping adventure. If on the other hand, you have already done that, does this bike fit you, is it in good condition, have you ridden it, does it look and feel mechanically sound?
This is well put. Most important is that the bike fits you properly and that is functions like it should. The disadvantage to buying a used bike is that it's hard to tell its condition (especially as a beginner).

Assuming fit and function, the OCR 1 is a quality bike with quality components. Outdated technology, but mostly lacking features you won't miss until you've tasted it.
Old 10-10-21, 01:05 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
This is well put. Most important is that the bike fits you properly and that is functions like it should. The disadvantage to buying a used bike is that it's hard to tell its condition (especially as a beginner).

Assuming fit and function, the OCR 1 is a quality bike with quality components. Outdated technology, but mostly lacking features you won't miss until you've tasted it.
It's hard to tell even as someone with a bit of experience. I found an old TCR (like 20 years old?) for someone and went with them to inspect it. It seemed mostly fine. The alloy nipples were corroded but I figured it should be fine for a beginner who'd probably eventually get something nicer. The nipples failed almost immediately upon riding and it turns out the FD hanger was cracked. I don't even know how the latter happens.

I still feel guilty about that one. That being said, I think that bike was worth restoring. It just wasn't as good of a deal as I originally thought.
Old 10-10-21, 08:37 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by smashndash
It's hard to tell even as someone with a bit of experience. I found an old TCR (like 20 years old?) for someone and went with them to inspect it. It seemed mostly fine. The alloy nipples were corroded but I figured it should be fine for a beginner who'd probably eventually get something nicer. The nipples failed almost immediately upon riding and it turns out the FD hanger was cracked. I don't even know how the latter happens.

I still feel guilty about that one. That being said, I think that bike was worth restoring. It just wasn't as good of a deal as I originally thought.
Absolutely! In the past 2 years, I bought a used tandem and a used road bike for my son. The tandem turned out to have a bad bottom bracket (they had loosened it to make it feel smoother) and an elongated dropout (not sure how that happens either), and the road bike had a crack on the bottom of the seatpost. Fairly simple fixes or rideable as is, but it was frustrating to find the hidden problems that would have otherwise influenced my perceived value of each bike.

Not to dissuade the OP from buying a used bike (I have bought many others with no problem), but it is a risk.
Old 10-10-21, 08:46 PM
jennyshop

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Almost impossible to advise on value without more info and pictures. Multiple detailed pictures once you have made enough posts to be able to upload them
Here's some additional info:
---Serfas cushioned racing saddle
---27 speed Shimano 105 gears
---Clip-in pedals with Shimano SPD-R size 7 cycling shoes
---Joe Kleiber designed Syntace C2 clip aero bars
---Lightly used Continental Gatorskin tires
---Avenir seat bag with a CO2 cartridge and a spare tire
brake type:
disc (hydraulic)

description said 'like new'. 2003 bike with 500 miles on it.

I tried to upload some pics but got this message 'You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites and photos after you have made 10 posts or more.'
Likes For jennyshop:
Old 10-10-21, 09:50 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

18 year old bike and only 500 miles...... I mean it could have doubled as a clothes line.

Old 10-10-21, 10:43 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by jennyshop
Here's some additional info:
---27 speed Shimano 105 gears
---Clip-in pedals with Shimano SPD-R size 7 cycling shoes
---Lightly used Continental Gatorskin tires
---Avenir seat bag with a CO2 cartridge and a spare tire
brake type:
disc (hydraulic)
I tried to upload some pics but got this message 'You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites and photos after you have made 10 posts or more.'
Don't be put off by the age - 2003 is a quite modern bike.
SOunds like it might mostly have Shimano 105 9 spd 'Triple' components - has 3 chainrings up front... SHimano 105 is quality stuff and will work well and last a very long time - good stuff.
Most important is that the bike/frame size will fit you well... that's up to your body dimensions and the bike size...
... do you have anyone you know who might know just a little about bikes ??? decent bikes & road bikes... it's always good to have an experienced eye to look at used bikes.
and just getting a short test ride to try the shifting/braking and how the other components are working/functioning, is always an important thing.
get 10 posts done in BF - like answer everyone in individual posts ... - get 10 post done, then post pics of bike or a URL/link to a sales listing ?
give the forum an idea of you height, weight, and any idea of body proportion, like 'short torso', or long legs, whatever, it'll all help in giving a decent recommendation...
You might want to start with 'flat pedals' (not what it has, clip-in) - always best to get real comfortable with riding, start/stop, balance, general confidence before actually using the 'clip-in' pedals... Flat pedals are cheap...
The more info you can give will mean the better the recommendations you will get.
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: so noticing your mention of 'Disc Brakes' - REAL Giant OCR 1 from that era had rim brakes... did a quick google and sure enough all the OCRs I'm seeing are rim brake bikes - EXCEPT one, which has Discs in the pic - listing goes to a very suspicious site showing the new bike listed for $70.99...
I don;t think so... if it's a real Giant, it will have rim brakes - or it could be some version of counterfeit - serious junk - and the components are NOT shimano...
I would caution against even adding anything to a 'shop cart'...
If it's a real bike, and not a money losing scam, I'd need real world pics to believe it is real.
but it's your money...
If someone else bought this and it really is real, I would understand why they're selling it after '500' claimed miles...

Last edited by cyclezen; 10-10-21 at 11:02 PM.
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 10-11-21, 01:35 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 975 Posts
Oxymoron?

Seems strange that someone would put aero bars on a bike and ride it for only 500 miles.
Old 10-11-21, 04:38 AM
dirtydozen

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
My take on it :

an entry level brand new bike is way too expensive for what it is, i would go and get a second hand one.
Obviously, if you don't know anything about bikes that can be hard to get a good one, do you know someone that could come with you when you go and check it ?
Maybe go for second hand bikes sold by a bike shop ? Harder to find but i guess it would be the best option for you.

I don't know how the market is in the US but here in France for 400€ you can get better than a 20 years old bike which would cost 200/300€.

Here we have a brand called decathlon which sells bikes under the TRIBAN branding. There is a model at 300€ and another one at 500€. I don't know if it's avaliable in the US but the quality over price ratio is incredible on those bikes.
Old 10-11-21, 07:15 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
18 year old bike and only 500 miles...... I mean it could have doubled as a clothes line.
Happens all the time. Someone walks into the bike shop wanting to get into cycling, looks at a few bikes, whips out their credit card, does a handful of rides, doesn't really like it, and lets it sit for years. They then put it up for sale when they need money, have too much clutter, move, or get divorced. Then again, I generally assume the quoted mileage is underestimated if there was even any thought into it at all.
Old 10-11-21, 10:03 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Happens all the time. Someone walks into the bike shop wanting to get into cycling, looks at a few bikes, whips out their credit card, does a handful of rides, doesn't really like it, and lets it sit for years. They then put it up for sale when they need money, have too much clutter, move, or get divorced. Then again, I generally assume the quoted mileage is underestimated if there was even any thought into it at all.
Funny ! My impression is most 'rider abandons' over-estimate the miles they've ridden... LOL! ... unless it's a rider who is obviously 'stepping up' to newer stuff, then they ALWAYS say a lower mileage... LOL!
... but for me, when I consider 'used' (which these days has been 'always') it's really not 'used' if it isn't on it's 2nd or 3rd set of tires... (depending on the tires currently mounted...)
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 10-12-21, 08:07 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
hydraulic disc brakes on an 18yo road bike?
magic!
Old 10-12-21, 08:52 PM
jennyshop

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi All-
Some close up pics.

Old 10-12-21, 09:11 PM
jaxgtr

That does not look in bad condition, however not being there....does it fit? Do you see any cracks in the frame? If all looks good, fits and such, I would probably buy it for a first road bike. I might start at 375, meet in the middle. somewhere. I would probably take it by a shop to have it serviced to make sure everything is mechanically sound.

Old 10-12-21, 09:24 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 569 Posts
Used is the way to go. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old bike, I ride 30 year old bikes.

But you may not want to start out with aero bars. And I think the price might be a bit high on that one although price does depend a great deal on your location.
Old 10-12-21, 09:45 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Hi All-
Some close up pics.
nice looking bike! Owner obviously took time to have it show at its best - always a good sign.
From the shot above, I'm totally guessing it's an XS size, which should fit an avg proportioned person under 5' to about 5' 3" ish, well.
If it's actually a small, then 5' to about 5' 5"...
If you look at the seat tube (holds seatpost/saddle) there might be a size identifier... XS, S, so on...
Shimano 105 9 spd is good stuff ! And this all looks in nice shape, and should be very nice bike for years and many miles, with reasonable maintenance.
Of course, there are so many possible un-seen things which could cause some 'consideration', but I am cautious to not be too critical.
It is 'used'... so it might need some 'fixing', but doesn;t look major - still nothing like more pics and certainly best is someone who KNOWS with hands on the bike.
Ask owner if he/she minds you taking it to a bike shop for inspection...
Always good to have cables and adjustments looked at ... other stuff to make sure it's fully road-ready.
In my eyes... without knowing much/enough... if all mostly OK, it's worth the asking price... If you get it for less , all the better.
again, I highly recommend taking the SPD pedals off, putting aside for a while, getting some 'flat' pedals and riding until you feel super comfortable riding this bike on the road, with traffic, and comfortable with conditions and operation of all 'bike' things. That could be some months. Safer and also makes for a happier introduction into the wonders of road bike riding.
If you're not accustomed to 'clipless' pedals, operation/riding, start/stop with them - it's usually a bit anxious until comfortable...
Let us know how you fare.
oh, and it's RIM/Caliper brake, not disc brake - proper Giant OCR 1 ... nice
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: BTW, I ran into some of your other 16 posts... way to go getting enough to post pics! well done ! LOL!

Last edited by cyclezen; 10-12-21 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-13-21, 06:23 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7618 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
It looks like there isn't much wear on the cassette or chain rings .... brake shoes look newish .... looks like there might be some wear on the paint of the left chain stay where the cable hits it .... bike Looks like it is in really good shape. Might need some tune-up and detail work, but it looks like a decent bike.

I wouldn't worry about the aero bars .... you don't need to use them or can take them off.

I agree with @cyclezen, put on some flat pedals and master riding.
Old 10-25-21, 09:44 AM
jennyshop

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi All-
I'm looking to start up road cycling. I don't want to spend $1K+ on a bike and it ends up collecting dusts. I looked around and saw this bike: Giant OCR 1, asking price $450. It's over 18 year old so I was a little surprised. Is this a decent deal or just way overpriced? Also, if I don't get this, do you guys have a recommendation for a road bike for beginners?

Thanks.
What do you guys think of this bike: Marin Portofino. Asking $375. Doesn't know when this was made since he bought it used.

Selle Italia saddle, and clip in pedals 55cm seat tube height. 700cm, 8x3 front and rear gear shifts for 24 gears. Shimano equipment

Old 10-25-21, 11:04 AM
jaxgtr

looks in pretty good shape. How tall are you, does this fit you? There are a boatload of spacers on the fork. what happened with the Giant? That had better components, but Sora is not terrible.

Old 10-25-21, 03:12 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7618 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
First off, do you know what size you need?

Bikes are like shoes---you can fit okay in a small range, and each manufacturer's offerings will fit a little different despite having the same listed size---and like shoes, if you get far outside of that limited comfort range you will be Very uncomfortable and soon find it too painful to use the shoes or the bike.

One good reason to go to a bike shop is to see what different types of bikes they offer---who knows what you want? You might not, but none of us do, for sure.

Better reason is to sit on a few and take them around the parking lot. You can make slight adjustments to fit and riding position but the closer the bike is to the right size, the more room you will have to modify later.

Some folks think they want to be all low and stretched out like pro racers ... and after 45 minutes realize they aren't ready for that. So you ill want to be able to sit more upright if you can---but later on, after you build up your cycling muscles, you might go back to the long and low posture. Having a bike that starts in the right range gives you the freedom to set up in a few different comfortable configurations.

Sure, almost any bike can feel okay for ten minutes in the parking lot, but if you ride several, even just around the lot, you can make comparisons, and see what you like better.

Then if you want to shop used, you won't waste a lot of time and gas money checking out bikes which might be great except they would never fit.
Old 10-25-21, 03:38 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
Like Maelocks is saying, size and the the resulting comfort and adaptability resulting from getting the correct size is what's important. I think you are right to be looking at these used bikes. They all look good. But size! IMO, the easiest and most reliable thing to do is to take your measurements, put them into a bike size calculator and see what comes out then take your metric tape measure with you and see how your candidate bike measures up. I like this calculator: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...ulatorBike.jsp

You will probably need some help to get all these measurements just right. I recommend using a metric tape because road bikes are all sized in the metric system. At the end of the results stage, the calculator will want to know what style of fit you are looking for. I'd say Eddy fit or competitive fit. You can run it again for each fit style and see what the differences are.

In terms of bike age, I rode my first double century on an 80's bike with a 6-speed freewheel. My current stable is still based on 9-speed cassettes with a triple chainring in front, IOW 27 speeds. They all ride just fine. 10--speed bikes should be somewhere in that same price range, most will have the more modern 50-34 chainrings which is fine too.
Old 10-25-21, 04:03 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
Just looking at the head tube, I suspect the two bikes you showed us are two way different sizes. But without a good side by side picture or something to give them scale, then maybe not.

If you haven't figured out what size bikes you should be looking at, then work on that first. A too large, well set up for you bike won't necessarily feel bad on your first short ride or two. But on more frequent and longer rides it might show you why it's not the right size.

I made do on way oversized bikes for too long, so now that I'm on a more proper sized bike, I might have a bias to far in the other direction.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-25-21, 04:20 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
What is the deal with the stem and headset on the Giant? Is that a quill stem in some sort of threadless headset adaptor?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.