Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Buy new or keep on road bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-28-21, 01:37 PM
Bhovey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi
I am going to get back into cycling, me have an old 2003 specialized Allen elite road bike, that is still in great shape, plus full 105 components . My question is should I pay to have the bike re-conditioned, I.e. the cables, tubes, tires, grease the bottom bracket etc, or buy new. I really like the Trek FS3 , and the flat bar configuration.

thanks for your thoughts.
Old 03-28-21, 01:46 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 421 Posts
The price for a complete tune-up should be cheaper than buying a new bike so yes, I'd keep it and get a new one next year if you are still cycling. With the pandemic situation resulting in shortage of new bikes and parts, the used bike market is more popular than ever. I am sure you will be able to sell your current one at a great price.

Welcome to bikeforums. Take a moment to introduce yourself in the ''introduction'' section.

Cheers!
Likes For eduskator:
Old 03-28-21, 08:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
Both.
Old 03-28-21, 08:48 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
Ditto to both.
Old 10-12-21, 08:39 PM
jennyshop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yolo
Old 10-13-21, 07:33 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7620 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
The two bikes are radically different, no? Different best uses, vastly different riding positions ..... The question to me is, what job do you want to do? That determines the tool you choose.

Why, if you were not going to tune up the Allez, would you choose the flat-bar hybrid FS-3? Does it appeal to you more than any other modern bike? Do you think you would p[refer the more upright riding position?

If you like the FS3, get it .... and if you own the Allez already, fix it up. It is sort of like having an old sports car and a new sport sedan .... either/or makes no sense.