Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Myths of the road tubeless (or Go back to clinchers)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Myths of the road tubeless (or Go back to clinchers)

Old 10-13-21, 05:55 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Simple enough for what?

If I cannot buy a bicycle and just ride off on it .... if I cannot immediately understand how the derailleurs work, if I cannot keep them adjusted, if I have to understand spoke tension enough to know that I need my wheels trues, if I cannot instinctively adjust my brake and derailleur cables when they take that first stretch ... then I guess cycling ls not simple enough.

We should ban it.
You started out to make a really good point. Road cycling, as we practice it, has quite a high entry bar. These forums are busy and it's not all hair-splitting. People-on-a-bicycle has a very low entry bar. Most homeless people here have some sort of a bike or they're putting one together. In the first case, tubeless is not really an issue. In the second case, they'd be nuts to try to use tubeless. Bicycles can be simple enough; "cycling" is not.
Old 10-14-21, 09:38 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,559 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
It will not surprise me if we see bicycle tires diverge into "performance" (tubeless pneumatic tires) and "fail-safe" (like the Schwalbe Airless Urban or Tannus tires).
It wouldn't surprise me either, but it would be disappointing. As the tubeless thing took off, I've always had this hope that it would drive better tolerances into bicycle rims and tires of all kinds. Issues with tires fitting too tight or blowing off certainly didn't start with tubeless, and having rims and tires that could theoretically do any job would be great!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-18-21, 06:37 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
My opinions on tubeless are all strengthened after reading this thread. Your mileage may vary, but I think:
1. If you wan to run 23s at 100psi+, tubeless is probably not for you. If you weigh something close to what I weigh (165lbs) and your bike can fit them, I recommend 28s-30s at 60-75psi on the road. I think it's better in every way. On gravel, I run 30-40psi on various tires from 32-50mm.
2. I recommend real tubeless tape. Duct tape and other bodges just don't work as the sealant works its way under the tape eventually. Also, the precise width of the tape is important as the tape needs to go exactly bead to bead. One exception: Stan's tape seems to be custom width ivory 3M 8898 tape. If you can find generic 8898 in the specific width you need, it works great and is long-term reliable. For example, I've found that 1" (25mm) 8898 works great on both the ENVE 4.5AR SES rims I have on one wheelset and the cheaper aluminum gravel rims I have on another wheelset. One note: once I bought wider 8898 than I needed for a set of MTB wheels and trimmed it to size using a razor but that was kind of a pain.
3. I recommend an inexpensive compressor and a Prestaflator for anyone with several tubeless bikes. The combination costs about the same as a pressurized chamber tubeless pump and works much better with much less work. I will say that I've had success mounting several tubeless tires up to 32mm with a regular floor pump so give that a try first.
4. Stan's Darts and Dynaplugs seem to work very well. If you do buy one, keep it handy in a jersey pocket as you don't want to be fumbling around for a plug while air is jetting out of your tire.
5. Tubeless has become much easier in the last few years.
6. After about five tubeless setups, you start to get the knack for it and will develop a set of procedures that works for you. Practice makes perfect. I've done 10-15 setups now, the last one took about 20-30 minutes for both wheels including cleaning and retaping the wheels and plugging in the compressor.

All of my bikes have used tubeless setups for about three years now. There's no way I'd go back to tubes.

Last edited by Hiro11; 10-18-21 at 06:42 AM.