Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Latex tubes with GP5000 tires?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Latex tubes with GP5000 tires?

Old 10-16-21, 06:14 AM
Bamicus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Yes!, I have an old Silca pump that works well. I think your probably correct here, because that’s exactly what is happening with the valve. Where did you get the valve holders? I’m sure that will be the solution if I can find some. I’m able to ride 4, 5 times a week, so that means pumping the tires on these days. I’ve also noticed that valve doesn’t quite fit the hole in my rim, or, it can move up and down.
Old 10-16-21, 06:31 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Bamicus
Yes!, I have an old Silca pump that works well. I think your probably correct here, because that’s exactly what is happening with the valve. Where did you get the valve holders? I’m sure that will be the solution if I can find some. I’m able to ride 4, 5 times a week, so that means pumping the tires on these days. I’ve also noticed that valve doesn’t quite fit the hole in my rim, or, it can move up and down.
Check the other thread where you asked this - it is a Ruland brand 6mm nylon locking stop collar from an industrial supply.

The old Silca design where the pump head just pushes onto the valve and relies on a tight grommet seems flawed to me. That big brass pump head is heavy and over time all that pushing down on the partly deflated latex inner tube I believe is what makes the vulcanized perimeter of the valve to fail.
Old 10-16-21, 06:40 AM
Bamicus

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I think your correct. The grommet is $9.50! But, I’m sure this will help. This is very helpful, and I appreciate your help.
Likes For Bamicus:
Old 10-16-21, 11:01 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 2,791 Times in 1,795 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I have my own theory as to why this happens (eventually) with latex tubes. Yes, rim tape has to be right but there can be the issue of how you pump the tires.

Could you share what your specific pre-ride pressurizing practice is? Like what type of pump are you using and what kind of pump head does it have? Fussing with pushing or wiggling the valve for me made this area fail (on 3 or 4 latex tubes (both Vittoria and Challenge brand). The smooth valve stem I was pushing it in a little each time I inflated my tires and since latex have to be topped up before each ride, this area of the tube takes more stress than butyl. Latex tubes could benefit from threaded presta stems that take the little nut to keep them in place.

I just posted a picture of my smooth presta stem holder on a thread yesterday. Was that you Bamicus asking on a different thread? Just curious. Here is another photo of my 6mm nylon locking stop collar: ….sorry my photo library says “downloading from iCloud” - will try a bit later.

Anyway: since I went to these collars on my latex tubed bike, the issue with failed valve stems has not recurred.
Yup, it occurred to me when one latex tube failed at the base of the valve that pressure on a half-inflated tube using the press-on chuck of my floor pump might have stressed the latex. Same reason you described. I use the nuts on my butyl tubes with threaded valves, to minimize stress on the tubes. But the Silca/Vittoria latex tubes have smooth sided valve stems, other than the valves themselves.

My mini pumps all have threaded chucks, which probably apply less stress.

Next time I use my floor pump to inflate a latex tube I might try deflating it completely, then reinflating to minimize stress on partially inflated tubes.
Old 10-17-21, 07:55 AM
Bamicus

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Ok so I’m getting the nylon 6mm clamps, how tight, or loose do you set them? Do you inflate fully and then set them? Thanks
Old 10-18-21, 07:57 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
https://www.zoro.com/ruland-manufact...-a/i/G8383977/

They even make a QR version if you're a weight weenie and want to take off the collar after inflating
Old 10-18-21, 11:25 AM
masi61

Ok so I’m getting the nylon 6mm clamps, how tight, or loose do you set them? Do you inflate fully and then set them? Thanks
Just snug them up with your metric Allen wrench (can't remember the size - it might be the tiny 2.5 mm one). Yes, I would Inflate the tire to see how high the valve comes up then snug the 6 mm clamp onto the valve next to the rim. It would be cool if the stop can be contoured to whatever specific rim profile you have.
Likes For masi61:
Old 10-18-21, 11:29 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by smashndash
https://www.zoro.com/ruland-manufact...-a/i/G8383977/

They even make a QR version if you're a weight weenie and want to take off the collar after inflating
HaHa - except that this one probably weighs 2 ounces, enough to imbalance a wheel.. And it costs $30!
Old 10-29-21, 02:43 PM
Bamicus

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Ok, installed the nylon grommets and have developed a slow leak in rear tire, that I can’t find. Think I’m done with latex!
Old 10-29-21, 06:20 PM
tendency 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Vittoria.
+1 for Vittoria. Currently running these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084CXNQ35...roduct_details w/ GP 5000 Classics. Love the combo.
Old 10-31-21, 11:32 AM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
I'm a fan of vittoria latex with gp5000s. Noticed an improvement in RR at higher speeds but the extra suppleness and ability to run 10psi lower f&r without the risk of pinch flats was the main reason to move over from butyl. The only failure I've had (in thousands of road miles) was due to not making sure the interior of the tire (purchased used from someone who employed a tubeless setup) was scrubbed clean before install.. I missed a small dried speck of sealant that punctured the tube as I inflated it for the first time. latex is certainly delicate compared with butyl but if one is careful during install the risks can be greatly minimized.
Likes For ctak:
Old 10-31-21, 11:35 AM
masi61

Ok, installed the nylon grommets and have developed a slow leak in rear tire, that I can’t find. Think I’m done with latex!
wow - so sorry for your bad results. What rim tape are you using again?
Old 11-05-21, 06:28 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
You perceive no difference because your boundaries of "performance" is narrow, like riding at a constast speed in a straightline.

However, when I'm talking "performance", i'm talking about many factors, like high-G cornering while trailbraking. This is where I'd use latex on the front, this gives me great road feedback into my arms and fingers that are squeezing the lever, and feedback translate to confidence at higher speed.

I personally don't use latex because of its slightly better rolling resistance compared to butyl, main reason being the higher cost of latex.

As for tubeless. I won't use the if the tire size is not at least 32c. Tubeless tires have sidewalls that are too hard (it's necessary for tubeless), and to compensate for the hard sidewall, people run at lower psi. This is fine going in a straightline. The problem is high-g corners. Lower pressure makes the tire tend to "fold" in high-g corners, this gives an ambiguos road feedbak to the fingers. A highend clincher like Veloflex or Vittoria with latex doesn't do this, you can run them at higher psi (to avoid the "folding" feeling) while still getting great road feedback due to the suppleness.

I could also make a counter argument about using tubeless (with low psi) in fast group rides. Low psi will feel like you're acclerating in mud out of corners, and fast group rides we do this a lot, repeatedly, and if you gradually lose positions at every corner, then it's only a matter of time you'll slip off the back. In this setting, I don't care about comfort or rolling resistance, I care about instant acceleration where I won't lose the wheel of the guy in front.

Not everyone is out there doing high-g corners, but than again not everyone is interested in riding in a straight line at constant speed all day either.
The debate of tubeless, regular clincher, latex, butyl,... to me is choosing difference horses for different courses. In the car world, I don't want to bring a soft and comfty truck tire to a road course with flip-flopping high-g corners.
I’ve ridden and raced on clinchers with latex and butyl tubes, tubulars, and tubeless. Having done a few hundred crits, and even won a couple, I think I have some idea about “high g” handling.

Imho, I think I can feel a difference in ride and handling between clinchers and tubulars, although I’d be afraid to put that belief to a double blind test. I’m pretty confident I can tell the difference between tubed and tubeless clinchers, almost entirely from the difference in air pressure run.

I don’t believe I can tell any difference between the ride feel or handling of latex vs butyl.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 11-05-21, 09:02 AM
Bamicus

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Tubeless tape, 2 wraps, no brand name really. Only get flats in the rear tire.
Old 11-05-21, 10:47 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
I gone thru 4 tubes now, mine always fail around the valve, just a few mil away from the stem. Anyone have this problem, or better yet, know a fix? I have old Mavic 622-13 rims, could that be the problem? Thanks
... just seeing this thread...
for potential 'tears/wear' around the presta valve, either from a sharp valve hole, or from issues relating to using a hand pump improperly or floor pump head putting side pressure on valve.
For many years I've been using a buffer shim, made from an old butyl tube, over the valve and surrounding base/tube. From an old, no longer used tube, cut a small section of tube, rectangle or oval (size to your liking - I like about .75 - 1 inch wide, 1 - 1.25" lengthwise). cut a small hole in center, slightly smaller than diameter of valve - small scissors do a fine job - place the tube shim over the valve down at the valve base/tube, narrower side fits rim width... mount tube/tire as normal.
This shim eliminates potential cuts/breaks at valve stem from the rim valve hole - works for butyl or latex tubes.
Also helps reduce the chance of tube tears from manhandling while attempting to pump ... best method to eliminate that is to use proper handling techniques for placing pump head onto valve and using a good supported handling of portable/frame hand pumps when pumping in the field...
Old 11-06-21, 06:19 AM
Bamicus

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thank you, do you glue this in place, or just set it on the rim?
Old 11-06-21, 06:44 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Thank you, do you glue this in place, or just set it on the rim?
no reason to glue
If the hole cut into the tube shim is just a wee bit smaller than valve diameter, the shim will stretch and remain in place, and protect the valve/tube area.
when I 'replace' a tube in tire/wheel, the shim is transferred to new tube before install.
it's always good to be gentle when attaching a pump head, especially a handheld pump. I put some thumb pressure on the tire/tread to help steady the valve when attaching a pump/head.
If I'm using a small handheld pump which has the head directly attached (no hose) I recommend holding the pump with a supportive hand - see photo
This assures you're not going to damage/tear the tube around the valve.

Proper handling of small portable pump when inflating... Important to support and steady pump/pumphead with hand, FOREFINGER and THUMB. Then 'unlock' pump and give a sharp downward tap on pump, near pump head, to detach from valve... no wrangling of pump for removal !!!

I've watched riders who have 'torn' 2 replacement tubes because they hamfisted and man-handled the pump when trying to re-inflate a tube/tire...
Once I offered my spare tube... gave a suggestion, which was ignored - guy tore the 2nd tube... Funny and sad !!! LOL!
I won't be doin that again... LOL!
Ride On
Yuri