Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

DIY wall storage options with *angled wheels*

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-21, 10:47 AM
ottothecow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Does anyone have DIY solutions for vertical wall storage that turns the front wheel to squeeze in more density? Between MTBs with extra long bars and road bikes with drop bars, it is hard to get everything tightly packed on the wall using plain hooks.

I'd love the setup you'd get from the garage-storage bracket Velocirax includes with their hitch racks. The wheel mounts hang the bike with the wheel twisted at about a 45-degree angle so the handlebars don't get in each other's way:

But I'm not looking to spend $800 on a full hitch rack that will never go on a car and they don't sell just the wheel mount portion as a standalone.

These people used standard hooks and turned them, but it only works because the rear wheels are set on the ground:

I need to have my bikes higher up on the wall and without a support for the rear tire, simply twisting a standard bike hook 45-degrees won't be enough--once the weight of the bike is on it, it will want to twist back to straight.

Anyone ever tried using two hooks spaced a couple of inches apart at an angle? You might need bigger hooks for large MTB wheels, but it could work.

Anyone found a DIY solution that resembles the Velocirax method?

Anyone get rear ended and have the top half of a broken Velocirax rack that they'd be willing to part with?
Likes For ottothecow:
Old 10-15-21, 02:19 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
You could also do the wheels straight, but just offset every other bike higher off the floor, so that three bikes fit in the width of ‘two handlebars’. Wide bar MTBs up high with the narrower drop bar bikes in between.

I’m working through the same things, as I’ve added a new bike to my personal fleet, and the kids are now on (nearly) full-size bikes as well; my single bay garage is getting crowded.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 10-15-21, 02:35 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
It's not the same thing, but I like these harbor freight bike racks. Not too expensive and you can hang 6 bikes in a pretty small footprint. I have one in the garage and two in the basement. The picture shows bikes hanging from the rear wheel. I hang mine from the front, which makes it a lot easer to load and unload.
Likes For kingston:
Old 10-15-21, 02:57 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
These are not cheap, but I absolutely love them. I use the Steady rack and it allows me to swing them back out of the way. As you can see, I have flatbar, and road bikes, I have 6 bikes in a 10ft run. Then you can swing them out to get to the one you want. They keep the rear tire about 1/2" off the ground. The other thing I like is that you can just roll them into place, no lifting and placing like hooks. My wife always complained about the hooks and having to lift her bike off of it.

Old 10-15-21, 08:06 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
I usually alternate handlebars up/handlebars down to get more space.
Old 10-15-21, 08:17 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I usually alternate handlebars up/handlebars down to get more space.

This

I can get 6 bikes in maybe 7 ft,
Old 10-15-21, 10:52 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I took a shuttle recently whose vertical rear rack hooked on the handlebars at an angle and held the bikes tires-out.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-18-21, 10:27 AM
ottothecow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
These are not cheap, but I absolutely love them. I use the Steady rack and it allows me to swing them back out of the way. As you can see, I have flatbar, and road bikes, I have 6 bikes in a 10ft run. Then you can swing them out to get to the one you want. They keep the rear tire about 1/2" off the ground. The other thing I like is that you can just roll them into place, no lifting and placing like hooks. My wife always complained about the hooks and having to lift her bike off of it.

Wow, those steadyracks are really appealing, but at $80-90 a pop it adds up FAST. Maybe if this were a long term home rather than a rental, but who knows what my next situation is going to look like so I'd rather DIY up something using $2 hooks and lumber.
Old 10-18-21, 04:39 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by ottothecow
Wow, those steadyracks are really appealing, but at $80-90 a pop it adds up FAST. Maybe if this were a long term home rather than a rental, but who knows what my next situation is going to look like so I'd rather DIY up something using $2 hooks and lumber.
Yep get that entirely. They are pricey, but worth every penny.

Old 10-20-21, 07:59 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Originally Posted by ottothecow
I need to have my bikes higher up on the wall and without a support for the rear tire, simply twisting a standard bike hook 45-degrees won't be enough--once the weight of the bike is on it, it will want to twist back to straight.
Get threaded hooks, big washers, and crank 'em tight.

​​​​​​https://www.excelsports.com/park-too...hoCvp8QAvD_BwE
Old 10-20-21, 09:02 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Get threaded hooks, big washers, and crank 'em tight.

​​​​​​https://www.excelsports.com/park-too...hoCvp8QAvD_BwE
The relative strength, or resistance to spinning has nothing to do with it. The weight of the bike will pull down, causing the front wheel to straighten.