Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We're going to yell at you.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

We're going to yell at you.

Old 06-03-21, 11:03 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
Light a fire for a man and he is warm for one night. Light a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 06-04-21, 06:09 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked 1,226 Times in 682 Posts
Been a while since I used "WHAMBULANCE!" in a sentence, but it came up in conversation yesterday and reminded me of this thread...and then today, whoa, look what's back up on top of the list! Coincidence? I think not.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 06-04-21, 09:16 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3211 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 964 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
If you did group rides you would understand some of the posts better. You might also see why some of us keep doing group rides after decades of doing them. Or not, riding solo is ok, too.
It always surprises me how many people on the forum say they only ride solo, especially in the 50+ forum. .
Almost exclusively solo, mostly because it’s hard to get group rides that start at convenient times. Divorced dad etc with a 10 and 8 year old 3 days a week means riding when I can.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 06-08-21, 07:36 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked 1,598 Times in 756 Posts
Just a friendly group of guys.....

Last edited by Bald Paul; 06-08-21 at 07:47 AM.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 06-08-21, 01:59 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Almost exclusively solo, mostly because it’s hard to get group rides that start at convenient times. Divorced dad etc with a 10 and 8 year old 3 days a week means riding when I can.
I'm the opposite. If I can't go out with a group I just stay home and do a structured workout on the trainer. In the summer it's (weather permitting) 4 days outside (2 tempo'ish, 1 chill long, 1 hammerfest), 1 day inside a week. The drivers around here are hostile enough that it's not worth taking the chance solo anymore.

Last edited by Andy Somnifac; 06-08-21 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Words
Old 06-08-21, 02:14 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3211 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 964 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
I'm the opposite. If I can't go out with a group I just stay home and do a structured workout on the trainer. In the summer it's (weather permitting) 4 days outside (2 tempo'ish, 1 chill long, 1 hammerfest), 1 day inside a week. The drivers around here are hostile enough that it's not worth taking the chance solo anymore.
Most aren't here, though there are some occasionally. Also don't see a ton of cars when I ride normally, this morning I had 22 cars pass me over 32 miles, 15 of which were in the starting and ending 3 miles of my ride.
Old 06-09-21, 05:58 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Originally Posted by phrantic09
Most aren't here, though there are some occasionally. Also don't see a ton of cars when I ride normally, this morning I had 22 cars pass me over 32 miles, 15 of which were in the starting and ending 3 miles of my ride.
Even in a group we're regularly buzzed by rednecks in jacked-up trucks rolling coal in our faces. I just figure that riding in the group means there's someone who will know where my corpse is.

Fun story from riding alone: One of the aforementioned rednecks passed way too close and rolled a huge cloud of diesel exhaust in my face, so I made a hand gesture saying that he was #1. So he stopped his car in the middle of the road, blocking traffic, got out and tried to fight me. Yeah, we have some special ones around here.

Old 06-10-21, 10:39 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 1,304 Times in 559 Posts
Nice - decided to come out here for a second and this thread is popped up again. My favorite. Still a source of many references when I see or talk to old forum members - every message I exchange with EventServices usually contains a reference

Timely as well as I am back doing group rides again. While I don't yell anymore I do offer encouragement and tips for how to beat me in the sprints. At least until I get dropped. Then I do the rest of the ride thinking about how (not) good I used to be and how much worse I am now and how I will most likely never get back to that level. Super sad when I realize even that level sucked.

I want to see more riders get back into the fun road stuff.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 06-16-21, 06:48 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Nice - decided to come out here for a second and this thread is popped up again. My favorite. Still a source of many references when I see or talk to old forum members - every message I exchange with EventServices usually contains a reference

Timely as well as I am back doing group rides again. While I don't yell anymore I do offer encouragement and tips for how to beat me in the sprints. At least until I get dropped. Then I do the rest of the ride thinking about how (not) good I used to be and how much worse I am now and how I will most likely never get back to that level. Super sad when I realize even that level sucked.

Good to hear that! I just can't get my group ride mojo going. I occasionally run across one on a couple popular local routes & hop on. I can still hold my own & settle in. Enjoy the effort, speed & the chat. I miss it but at the same time just have not had any urge to go find the rides, instead long solo's are the norm. I used to be just the opposite, something lacking... Perhaps Event chatting away about something totally unrelated to the ride, or complaining about his wardrobe? A goal for the year?, find a regular ride and consistently hit it.
Old 06-16-21, 10:39 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
Even in a group we're regularly buzzed by rednecks in jacked-up trucks rolling coal in our faces. I just figure that riding in the group means there's someone who will know where my corpse is.

Fun story from riding alone: One of the aforementioned rednecks passed way too close and rolled a huge cloud of diesel exhaust in my face, so I made a hand gesture saying that he was #1. So he stopped his car in the middle of the road, blocking traffic, got out and tried to fight me. Yeah, we have some special ones around here.
There used to be a small group of U.K. riders that did a small group ride years ago around here. The ride leader had a farm way out and they would ride and them cone back to the farm for tea. This guy they called Boone would ride with them. I met Boone several times, nice guy. Well they are out riding and one of the local 4x4 hillbillies decided he was going to teach these bicyclists a lesson, so he gets out his truck and starts talking how he is going to bust some heads. These guys are scared (riders not fighters), except Boone, he was taking his cycling shoes off. Long story short, the hillbilly was lucking to get out of there with his life. It seems Boone had an earlier sport that he was pretty good at. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boone_Kirkman
Likes For colnago62:
Old 06-21-21, 06:05 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Originally Posted by colnago62
he was taking his cycling shoes off.
Not going to lie, my first thought was "Crap, there's no way I can fight in bike shoes. I'm going to get my ass whipped doing the cleat walk while wearing spandex..."

Old 06-23-21, 07:07 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
We just passed our 15th anniversary on June 1st. I still clearly remember the ride that sent me into that tirade. I just recovered from the soreness a few months ago.

Happy anniversary, everyone. I hope you're all doing yell. I mean, WELL.

And I can honestly still say there were no egos on that ride.

Originally Posted by Psimet2001

Old 06-23-21, 07:19 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8148 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
We just passed our 15th anniversary on June 1st. I still clearly remember the ride that sent me into that tirade. I just recovered from the soreness a few months ago.

Old 06-24-21, 04:54 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts

If you feel the need to use the term ‘I can honestly say’…
Old 06-24-21, 07:39 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 973 Posts
I love the weeknight worlds guys not yelling per se but trying to get you to reel in the break guy in the last mile while they have zero intention of pulling through to do the same. Nice try.
Old 06-24-21, 11:05 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I love the weeknight worlds guys not yelling per se but trying to get you to reel in the break guy in the last mile while they have zero intention of pulling through to do the same. Nice try.
This is a time honored technique. If done properly you would be amazed how often it works. That could be a whole other thread "You're going to do all the work".
Likes For Voodoo76:
Old 06-24-21, 11:54 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
This is a time honored technique. If done properly you would be amazed how often it works. That could be a whole other thread "You're going to do all the work".
It got bad enough a couple times earlier in the ride with trying to get a faster rotation going that it would end after one rotation with dingleberries content with a chill 200w puller on the front.

Imagine the slow staredowns in real races with 1km to go where nobody wants to go. Imagine that with 15 other dudes at mile 15 of 30 of weeknight worlds. Somebody want to actually freaking ride?

I'm surprised the strongest dude who eventually got away at the end didn't put us out of our misery then and there. Maybe he didn't want to time trial alone for a half hour and preferred company. We're a training ride for that guy.
Old 06-24-21, 12:09 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
It got bad enough a couple times earlier in the ride with trying to get a faster rotation going that it would end after one rotation with dingleberries content with a chill 200w puller on the front.

Imagine the slow staredowns in real races with 1km to go where nobody wants to go. Imagine that with 15 other dudes at mile 15 of 30 of weeknight worlds. Somebody want to actually freaking ride?

I'm surprised the strongest dude who eventually got away at the end didn't put us out of our misery then and there. Maybe he didn't want to time trial alone for a half hour and preferred company. We're a training ride for that guy.
I have no strategy and really don't care about winning most of the time - I do races and group rides to push myself and will frequently find myself on the front because I find it to be more fun.*

*translation - I have no strategy, get bored and push the pace and or try to chase down the guy(s) off the front while their teammates sit on my wheel. I frequently don't do what you would call "win" but I sure do tire myself out and have fun. More laughing than yelling, though. I guess you could call me an accidental domestique.
Likes For ericcox:
Old 06-24-21, 12:34 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Accidental Domestique

That should be a tattoo.

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 06-24-21, 06:55 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Sorry. I'm not much of a writer.

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
If you feel the need to use the term ‘I can honestly say’…
Old 06-24-21, 07:00 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Originally Posted by big john
Thanks for that! Now I'm going to tear up. Those were the best days ever. Out on the course meeting cyclists from all over. SO sad that event ended.

I drove every mile of every course all 14 years.
Old 06-24-21, 07:48 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8148 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
Thanks for that! Now I'm going to tear up. Those were the best days ever. Out on the course meeting cyclists from all over. SO sad that event ended.

I drove every mile of every course all 14 years.
I know! I remember you used a picture I took of you in a Volvo, I think, on something you printed.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-24-21, 08:29 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11282 Post(s)
Liked 4,611 Times in 2,682 Posts
Sorry. I'm not much of a writer.

Now that there is some funny ****. Nicely done.
Old 10-19-21, 09:03 AM
botto 

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
🖤🖤🖤

Originally Posted by eventservices
we just passed our 15th anniversary on june 1st. I still clearly remember the ride that sent me into that tirade. I just recovered from the soreness a few months ago.

Happy anniversary, everyone. I hope you're all doing yell. I mean, well.

And i can honestly still say there were no egos on that ride.