Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New GP5000 S TR coming soon

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New GP5000 S TR coming soon

Old 10-15-21, 11:54 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 973 Posts
Lots of this has to do with keeping the tire sizes aero matched to the wheels they'd be run on. Folks running this tire aren't exactly 100kg dudes trying to make the front group of the B-group weeknight hammer ride. It's folks racing or in time trial or triathlons.

If the CRR and aero does appear to pan out, I'll go TL on my front HED 9+ TT wheel with and buy a newer rear HED disc that I can run tubeless. The disc I have now they claim cannot run tubeless for some reason.

Not sure why the HED Belgium in older 23mm width cannot do it but newer in 25mm can. That's the spoked wheel under the skin of a HED disc. I couldn't get an answer as to "why" from them the 23mm cannot do it.
Old 10-15-21, 01:20 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
It could also mean you might just fit the next sized up tire and negate these differences. But indeed curious. In fact the new TR shows an inflated height measurement of only 22mm -- not sure if this is maybe the lowest profile '25mm' tire I've seen in his testing? I guess the size is part of the contributing reason for lower weight. Puncture resistance is down, but importance of this is lesser I suppose if you're running sealant and not a tube.
Well, it wouldn't "negate" the differences. The BRR test favors larger tires because larger tires are firmer at the same pressure. So in this matchup, the old GP5000 has an unfair advantage because it's a larger tire being pumped up to the same pressure as a smaller tire. If you compared a 28mm GP5k S to a 25mm GP5k, the 28 would certainly be faster at the same pressure. I think the 5k is actually a watt faster when you control for pressure, size etc.

This is all in the context of steel drum tests. I think steel drums do a great job of illustrating the *minimum* amount of power loss from a tire. I believe real world tests have shown that the power loss is greater than steel drums show and that more supple tires tend to have a disproportionate advantage on rougher roads relative to how they do on steel drums. I'd still go with a corsa speed for a TT.​​​​​

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Lots of this has to do with keeping the tire sizes aero matched to the wheels they'd be run on. Folks running this tire aren't exactly 100kg dudes trying to make the front group of the B-group weeknight hammer ride. It's folks racing or in time trial or triathlons.
Uh... not sure where you're drawing that conclusion from. Every fred on the road is gonna be using these tires for their weekend rides. I'm actually very confused as to why Continental is marketing this tire as acceptable for every imaginable road use from daily casual rides to the literal TT world championships. I simply refuse to believe it's possible to create a tire that is optimal for all of those scenarios. Someone is getting screwed somewhere.

Hell, I know a guy who uses the old 32mm (34mm actual - huge) GP5k for gravel. It's preposterous.

Last edited by smashndash; 10-15-21 at 01:24 PM.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 10-15-21, 01:46 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Folks running this tire aren't exactly 100kg dudes trying to make the front group of the B-group weeknight hammer ride.
That's news to me.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 10-15-21, 02:11 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Has anyone seen these for sale anywhere yet?
I was at a local shop yesterday and they hadn't gotten any yet and had no idea when they would. I don't see them available anywhere online.
Some of the German online places have them. I was thinking about buying some but decided to wait, my current tires have plenty of miles left.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...702/wg_id-8922
Old 10-16-21, 10:27 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
That's news to me.
I guess I confused "used by" and "designed for". Lol.

I concede you are likely correct, anyone with a wallet and need for speed might be onto it.
Old 10-16-21, 01:31 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...prix-5000-s-tr

Interesting. BRR measured the same-ish rolling resistance for a given pressure, but the tire has also gotten ~1.5mm smaller, which means you'd have to run it at a slightly higher pressure. So the tire is probably slightly faster. Maybe like 1 watt.

Jarno also mentions that the casing is stiffer. afaik the old gp5k wasn't exactly known to be supple (relative to other race tires) so this might not be great news.
Mind you, BRR got somewhat better results for the old GP5000 TL compared to aerocoach rolling resistance tests (which showed also old GP5000 is great, but not that close to the best of the TT specific tires), so there's that and the now smaller size.

The new 25mm GP5000s should fit on my rims better aerodynamically which is welcome news indeed. Got a lot of mileage left on current ones so no hurry to toss them.

​​​​​
Old 10-16-21, 01:37 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts

If the CRR and aero does appear to pan out, I'll go TL on my front HED 9+ TT wheel with and buy a newer rear HED disc that I can run tubeless. The disc I have now they claim cannot run tubeless for some reason.

Not sure why the HED Belgium in older 23mm width cannot do it but newer in 25mm can. That's the spoked wheel under the skin of a HED disc. I couldn't get an answer as to "why" from them the 23mm cannot do it.
100Kg dude here.....the B group riders love my rear wheel.....shod with 25 mm GP5000
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 10-19-21, 09:20 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Aerocoach just published their findings that new GP5000 roll 1.2W better per pair at 45 km/hr. So, really not much in it, but better.

I like they're slightly narrower and lighter, too.
Old 10-23-21, 02:37 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I have a set of 25 mm GP 5000 S tubeless on their way, going to try tubeless once again after a miserable 2016 on them. Should have them early next week.
Old 10-23-21, 07:33 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I have a set of 25 mm GP 5000 S tubeless on their way, going to try tubeless once again after a miserable 2016 on them. Should have them early next week.
hope you enjoy them! I’m on my second or third GP5000 TL. Definitely one of the harder tires to install on my brand of wheels (I actually have to use a lever), but seats even with a hand pump and I’ve really liked the performances. Definitely one of my faves.

have fun and ride safe!
Old 10-24-21, 07:34 AM
itchyjoe

Bikes: S Works Aethos/Spec Roubaix/S Works Tarmac

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I plan to get a set of these for next season. Will 25 mm work on my rims which measure 29/22 or would a 28 mm tire be safer? Thanks!
Old 10-25-21, 12:59 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by itchyjoe
I plan to get a set of these for next season. Will 25 mm work on my rims which measure 29/22 or would a 28 mm tire be safer? Thanks!
I would go with the 28. I have a 25mm corsa control on my 23i rim and that tire has a carcass width of 70mm. The GP5k S has a 64mm carcass.

Too small of a tire = more sidewall cuts, more exposed rims to gravel, and potentially compromised handling. These tires are just not designed for such wide rims.

Also, there is almost no change in tire height with wider rims. Which means that the effective height of the "spring" (tire) is almost the same regardless of rim width. So going with a narrow tire on a wider rim is not going to give you the same cushion as a wide tire.

That being said, I highly doubt you're at any risk of a blowout purely due to the rim width. If all you care about is aero, go for the 25.

Last edited by smashndash; 10-25-21 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-25-21, 04:56 AM
itchyjoe

Bikes: S Works Aethos/Spec Roubaix/S Works Tarmac

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
I would go with the 28. I have a 25mm corsa control on my 23i rim and that tire has a carcass width of 70mm. The GP5k S has a 64mm carcass.

Too small of a tire = more sidewall cuts, more exposed rims to gravel, and potentially compromised handling. These tires are just not designed for such wide rims.

Also, there is almost no change in tire height with wider rims. Which means that the effective height of the "spring" (tire) is almost the same regardless of rim width. So going with a narrow tire on a wider rim is not going to give you the same cushion as a wide tire.

That being said, I highly doubt you're at any risk of a blowout purely due to the rim width. If all you care about is aero, go for the 25.
I appreciate your very thorough response! I have seen a couple of charts generally showing 25 mm tires are marginal on 22i rims..so 28 does look to be a better choice.