Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Repair or Replace advice on BMC Roadmachine

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-12-21, 01:38 AM
suri

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hello,

Grateful for expert views on this unfortunate situation!

I own a BMC Roadmachine 01 Three since March'21 and unfortunately had a crash recently as a result of which the frame is damaged - the damage is essentially on the down tube lateral side (a gash which is about 3.5cm X 1.5 cm, and has torn through the carbon fibre as a result of the impact of the accident. It is not exactly a clean hole but once can see the gash has gone through all the layers). I had it assessed by a local carbon frame repairer who said it can be repaired without compromising safety or creating any performance issues - this would cost me $400. The other option would be to have BMC replace the frame for about $3000. My questions are:

- Can carbon frames be repaired without compromising safety / performance (the local repairer is quite experienced and has 10+ years of experience in this so his assessment seems pretty reliable to me).

- A full frame replacement is very expensive but are there any good reasons why I should be considering it?

PS> I tried posting a picture of the damage but the forum rules do not permit me.

Thanks
R
Old 10-12-21, 06:22 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9439 Post(s)
Liked 6,236 Times in 3,436 Posts
Yes.

Maybe.
Old 10-12-21, 11:05 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 975 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Difficult to give advice without any photos. Put it in your gallery and someone will reply with a link thereto in this thread.

$3,000 seems expensive, but I guess BMC won't sell you just the frame without a fork. Plus the labor to uninstall the components from the damaged frame and reinstall them onto the new frame.
Old 10-12-21, 03:17 PM
ratell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I would trust the repair person more than a bunch of people on a forum. If they say it's safe I would go with that and do the repair. I can't see any reason to pay $3000 for the frame you have. If you wanted a different bike I would spend the $3000 buying that.

Here's a video about repairing if that helps
Old 10-19-21, 06:06 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
So many variables: depending on WHO does the repair and how good the repair is..How many frame repairs have they done? & How are THOSE repairs holding up? My uneducated guess is, that some carbon repairs are 100% repairable. The one thing you have to ask is what if it's not good? What if it gives out? Will it be a catastrophic failure?
Or will it just be a sucky day where you have to walk home in your cleats because (that person) is not picking up their phone?
Certain areas of the frame ( forget about repairing forks, just trash 'em) are riskier than others. I have 2 BMC's (1 is a Roadmachine) so I am biased towards repair ...unless you have a spare $3000 hanging around, repair it. Will they set you up with the same vintage frame in the same color? I doubt it, for 3 grand-o you will get the latest, top-of-the-line thing. A new frame for 3 grand ain't bad either...

Old 10-21-21, 07:33 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4193 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,852 Posts
If you chose the new frame for $3k, do you get to keep the damaged one anyway, or is it a part-ex?
Old 10-23-21, 09:39 AM
suri

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks all for the advice - much appreciated. In the end, I decided to go for a replacement frame/fork from BMC - not the optimal decision but I chose this option because the repair would take 4 months (yes 4 months, long queue in Singapore!). I was convinced though that the repair would do the job, just the wait would be too long!

Thanks again!
Old 10-23-21, 09:40 AM
suri

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hi, as part of the BMC replacement warranty, BMC want to see the frame cut in pieces ie. destroyed, by the dealer before they will replace.
Old 10-23-21, 01:01 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4193 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,852 Posts
Originally Posted by suri
Hi, as part of the BMC replacement warranty, BMC want to see the frame cut in pieces ie. destroyed, by the dealer before they will replace.
Ah shame! Makes sense though otherwise people would take advantage of the discounted frame. I was just curious if they actually did that though. Cheers.
Old 10-23-21, 05:11 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7620 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
Thread: Repair or Replace advice on BMC Roadmachine

I'd replace the advice, most of it is too damaged to be repaired.
Old 10-24-21, 10:25 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by suri
Thanks all for the advice - much appreciated. In the end, I decided to go for a replacement frame/fork from BMC - not the optimal decision but I chose this option because the repair would take 4 months (yes 4 months, long queue in Singapore!). I was convinced though that the repair would do the job, just the wait would be too long!

Thanks again!
Are you sure replacement frame won't take as long?