Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is a 2014 Trek Madone 5.9 worth $2,000?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is a 2014 Trek Madone 5.9 worth $2,000?

Old 10-13-21, 12:29 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
yeah, I think Americans forget there are differences in world marketplaces, especially 'used'.
They can't forget about something they weren't told. There was no indication that it was Israel (until later).
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 10-13-21, 03:19 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Because depreciation follows the second most reliable formula in cycling ( after N=n+1 ):
Take half off for rolling off the shop floor, then drop another 10% every year. So around a quarter of original, even without that beat up derailleur.
^This^ I was just going to post the same thing. Once it's left the shop it's worth about half what msrp was. Covid has changed that somewhat, I guess.
Old 10-13-21, 04:09 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
They can't forget about something they weren't told. There was no indication that it was Israel (until later).
yeah, you're correct there... I came 'after' the map was set... still... my own perception of 'value' may then be off... I don;t expect a top tier bike to be sold at 25%, even in the US - if it's at that price, then 'somthings wrong/bad' and may not be obvious OR the owner just doesn't know... more comments below
Originally Posted by cxwrench
^This^ I was just going to post the same thing. Once it's left the shop it's worth about half what msrp was. Covid has changed that somewhat, I guess.
Yes, once 'used' (like many things) the initial value drops precipitously - but I think there's more of a sliding scale after that, higher level/quality/function holds higher value for longer...
so a 2014 $2500 bike might sell for $900-800 now (that still 35-30%) seems reasonable to me... a $5000 bike at $2500 (primo condition & some 'upgrades') down to Below $2000 also seems reasonable.
I've not bought 'New' bikes/frames (at least LBS 'new' vs never built up...) in 25 yrs - I have bought 'new' one/two yr old NOS frames - always a nice deal.
Other than that, I have bought 'used' bikes in that time, some were pricey - but no where near what the owner paid LBS 'NEW'. - well worth what I paid.
I ignore stuff which has been used hard/not well maintained - have not been disappointed in my purchases... so far.
Occasionally, I've helped others make some nice bike purchases - knowing that there was going to be some parts replacement costs...
My philosophy when comes to bikes... spend just a little more and get way more in quality and way less in headaches...
Scuffed RDs, like levers, saddle edges (don;t even go to pedals) always seem to have some 'cosmetic' challenges - they just get a lot of 'rub-age'...
RDs are relatively in-expensive, if you gotta have 'like new' or new...
Key is - Is it the bike you really want ? - how easy are they to come by, used? are there other options which might cost less? Answers to these Qs will make the decision obvious...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 10-13-21, 04:46 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Yes, once 'used' (like many things) the initial value drops precipitously - but I think there's more of a sliding scale after that, higher level/quality/function holds higher value for longer...
This is kind of BS, though. Where are these bikes that are 50% off?

I think this notion comes from the "drive a car off the lot" idea, where it's clearly not true either.
Old 10-13-21, 04:55 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
Many bikes brand new are only worth about 50% of what they're selling for. There just aren't enough people who realize it.
Old 10-13-21, 05:27 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 719 Times in 363 Posts

I think this notion comes from the "drive a car off the lot" idea, where it's clearly not true either.
I typically jump on the 30% off last years old stock sales. Which of course aren't happening anymore.

OP, that looks like a fantastic deal. I'd phone them up and offer them an additional $137 to hold it for you because otherwise it will be gone by the time you can get to the shop. Ask them to replace that rear derailleur at your cost too.
Old 10-13-21, 05:38 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
.... Once it's left the shop it's worth about half what msrp was. Covid has changed that somewhat, I guess.

I tend to agree that 'percentage value' is not quite as deep as cxwrench noted. But then, where he might be is prolly different than in CA, where I am.
Bike shops in my town/area are having a hard time looking like they're in business - given how super low stock their bike racks are.... I can;t imagine they'd be giving any discount. I don;t know if any of them take in 'used', even on consignment. It usually implies some possible 'connection' with a bike, and given they're not making hardly anything on a re-sale of used, it's not worth the hassle. Bike retailing is hard enough without adding additional burdens.
"know how to make a small fortune ? Open a bike shop using a Large Fortune..." LOL!
Being a small time LBS is a labor of love - or sign of low intelligence... !!! (... just kiddin... ) good ones do deserve our support.
As for 'price / value'... eyes of the beer-holder/buyer... For me an $8K+ price tag is not even a moon shot, it's more like plodding out to Alpha-Centauri...
I ride with guys who've just paid that and more... nice bikes... in about 5 yrs I might buy one from those guys... LOL! .. iff'n I'm still around... LOL!
Bikes prices inflated ? Only if they can't be sold... Are they worth the equivalent in other brands/models - buyer has to decide that.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 10-13-21, 05:42 PM
njkayaker

I tend to agree that 'percentage value' is quite as deep as cxwrench noted. But then, where he might be is prolly different than in CA, where I am.
Bike shops in my town/area are having a had time looking like they're in business - given how super low stock their bike racks are.... I can;t imagine they'd be giving any discount. I don;t know if any of them take in 'used', even on consignment. It usually implies some possible 'connection' with a bike, and given they're not making hardly anything on a re-sale of used, it's not worth the hassle. Bike retailing is hard enough without adding additional burdens.
"know how to make a small fortune ? Open a bike shop using a Large Fortune..." LOL!
I think the "50%" less stuff might come from buying something for retail and selling it for wholesale. That is, if a shop is going to deal with selling a used bike, they are going to buy it at a "wholesale" price, which might be 50%.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-13-21 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-14-21, 07:33 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Yeah this whole covid \ supply chain thing has really messed with bicycle prices.
It wasn't that long ago that you could easily find 30%-50% off last year's models, odd sized models and models that just weren't selling.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 10-15-21, 05:30 AM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
$2k for a seven year old bike with rim brakes and beat up derailleur?……no thanks
Old 10-18-21, 11:58 AM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
I purchased a 2012 Madone 5.2, which is the year before they moved the rear brake below the bottom bracket. As I understand it, that location did not work out so well as the caliper and pads were exposed to all of the road crud that tends to get thrown around in that area. Putting that out there as a consideration for this specific bike, which has the rear brake down low.

The other consideration is what the selling shop is willing to put into the bike to sell it from a maintenance perspective. This shop couldn't even put on fresh bar tape, so you have to wonder what else hasn't been addressed.
Likes For jp911:
Old 10-18-21, 12:23 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
At one time I owned a 2009 Madone 5 Project One and a 2011 Madone 6 Project One. Never really liked either one. Horrible ride and noisy. However the 2011 was a fine climbing bike. Actually gave them both away.
Old 10-18-21, 12:28 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4183 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by jp911
I purchased a 2012 Madone 5.2, which is the year before they moved the rear brake below the bottom bracket. As I understand it, that location did not work out so well as the caliper and pads were exposed to all of the road crud that tends to get thrown around in that area. Putting that out there as a consideration for this specific bike, which has the rear brake down low.

The other consideration is what the selling shop is willing to put into the bike to sell it from a maintenance perspective. This shop couldn't even put on fresh bar tape, so you have to wonder what else hasn't been addressed.
a bb brake? Didn't Trek learn form their U-brakes in the 80's that those always get gummed up?
Old 10-18-21, 07:50 PM
gofish44

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not a great price.

You can check the value of that bike on Byciclebluebook.com. I'd give this one a "Fair" rating and see what they think it is worth. Also, if that rear derailleur is compromised and needs to be replaced you might be shocked at the price of a new one. Just another factor to consider.
Old 10-18-21, 10:08 PM
Petros98223

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I can not address the value for the used bike because I am not current with prices, but it does seem high to me. there is another consideration I think you need to make, one I had to make a few years ago when I was looking for a new/used bike for regular riding.

A carbon frame may not be a good choice for you, they are very strong and light, but I have found and observed that carbon composites are somewhat fragile as compared to Al alloy or steel. many times in crashes, or even during transport, and sometimes even just from typical storage nicks and dings, when the carbon fiber is damaged it could mean the frame becomes trash. it seems that when a the surface fibers are damaged, it makes the frame much weaker and more prone to complete failure. There supposedly are ways to repair surface damage in carbon frames, but most materials experts are skeptical that is a reliable fix. Also, there is a materials engineer from Australia with a youtube channel who has done many tests on both new and damaged carbon bike frames, who has found most all of the marketing done for costly carbon frames are not always as good as what the manufacturer claims.

I am sure there are people who will argue with me here, but several organizations have actually tired to measure the so-called improved ride claims of the carbon frame enthusiasts. but when the Global Cycling Network had identical bikes built, with identical components, one in carbon and one in al alloy, and had both professional and skilled armatures ridge them, all were hard pressed to find a difference between the two. there was also only about 6 tot 7 oz difference between them (consider that these were identically equipped, because of the large price difference you will rarely find this, costly bikes always come with better components). I think the benefits of the carbon frame are greatly exaggerated, perhaps by those willing to spend to money to help justify their higher costs.

I am not saying not to buy it, but you need to consider what are your plans for the new bike. if you want to work up to doing some racing and competitive riding, the slight weight advantage may be worth the price. But if you just want a good quality bike to ride for recreation or exercise, a decent quality aluminum frame may be a much better ride for you, not just because of the lower cost, but because it is also much less prone to getting fatally damaged from minor collisions or impacts. No one plans to crash their nice bike, but things happen, and you have to be willing to take the risks with such a purchase. And also be willing to take extra care when transporting and storing your bike.

I faced the same decision a few years ago, I mostly ride for exercise but I started competing for fun in a small local triathlon, and decided to look for a better, but used road bike. The LBS offered me a used but very well equipped carbon frame road bike for more than I wanted to spend, and it appeared well worth the extra money. but I learned the frame was repaired from minor damage on the down tube, it was supposedly "good as new". After researching repaired carbon frames, and knowing how I store and transport my bikes, with much reluctance I decided against it. if the frame suddenly failed while driving it hard, it not only could be very dangerous, but it means the extra money I spent on it would be now wasted.

I ended up buying a used but decent alloy road bike off craigs list from someone near me who was moving out of state, and the seller was not using much anyway. I than up graded it with many good components I bought at some local bike club gear swaps (amazing the great buys you can make at those, so many riders buying the latest gear, and willing to almost give away their quality used stuff at the gear swaps). I ended up with a pretty good road bike for my needs that weighs about 18 lbs, not top of the line, but it servers me very well, at about half the cost of that really nice but used (and repaired) carbon bike I was considering. I should think it will also be much more durable and less prone to accidental damage. best of all I think, I will not be heart broken or financially strapped if it gets damaged in a mishap.

Food for thought. it is easy to get wowed by a high tech carbon frame at a good price, but OTOH I think one should carefully consider how you are realistically going to use that new bike. good luck on your hunt for a new bike.
Old 10-20-21, 01:47 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by jp911
As a former rider of a 2014 Madone 5.9 frame, the rear brake was always a mess...in the 3 years I rode that bike, I had to replaced the rear caliper twice due to excessive corrosion. The pads wore much faster than on other bikes I've had, the brake caliper location was the main cause. At the start of the fourth year, I got a smokin' deal on a NOS Tarmac SL6 frame, and after harvesting the drivetrain of the Madone, I hung the frame in the garage where it remains, never to be ridden again. It was a great ride, but between replacing the BB90 cartridge bearings about every 2 months (fortunately it was a 3 minute task) and a rear brake that was never quite right, I wasn't sad to see it go.
Old 10-20-21, 01:50 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Petros98223
...I have found and observed that carbon composites are somewhat fragile as compared to Al alloy or steel...
Oh boy...
Old 10-20-21, 02:21 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 719 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
Oh boy...
Yeah.
It's the steel bits that are scratched. Carbon looks great. Just sayin.