Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding post-Covid?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Riding post-Covid?

Old 10-25-20, 05:33 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I thought I might have had it in March or April. I was very tired, had a marginal fever (100.5˚ if memory serves), and slept for a day straight. Felt better the next day, and on day three was back on the trainer feeling 99% normal, maybe slightly low energy. But then forgot about it and things were back to normal. No flu symptoms or a cough or anything like that. Resting HR was slightly elevated (50s instead of 40s), but that's really only noticeable by looking at numbers not perceptually. I used an Sp02 sensor at the time to track my RHR (now I have a Whoop band to track recovery), and I don't recall it ever dropping below normal (98-99%).

Took an antibody test two weeks ago (at Quest Diagnostics) and sure enough, it's positive and I've had it. I don't know if it was the one sling of whatever last spring or some other time, but in either case it's a giant nothingburger for someone of even moderate cardiorespiratory fitness.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 10-25-20, 06:23 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
I don't know if it was the one sling of whatever last spring or some other time, but in either case it's a giant nothingburger for someone of even moderate cardiorespiratory fitness.
It obviously hits different people differently; I've ridden with the OP and he's certainly fit.
Old 10-25-20, 06:55 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
t's a giant nothingburger for someone of even moderate cardiorespiratory fitness.
Not always true...You were a lucky one.
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 10-25-20, 07:45 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10069 Post(s)
Liked 5,753 Times in 3,092 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462
Not always true...
This.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 10-26-20, 06:19 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3182 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Certainly not a nothingburger. Unpredictable at this time.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...th-myocarditis
Old 10-26-20, 06:33 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Anyone else on the forum contract the virus? I tested positive last week and really only had severe chills/aches for about 3 days, but now I'm nearly done with my isolation period and I feel pretty good with one notable exception. I can hardly sustain any effort at all. It's not that my HR spikes, I just feel like I'm running out of oxygen when I sustain what used to be a very easy effort just 2 weeks ago. I can't breath deeply enough and I feel as if my lungs aren't at full capacity. I never had a severe cough so this is surprising to me.

I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this, and if perhaps some sort of inhaler was helpful? How long did these effects last for you?

Edit: To be clear, I'm not riding outside, this is all on my trainer in my home. Don't want anyone to think I'm putting others at risk.
I guess once you get outside, you'll have to avoid rides downtown and around Libby Hill. I did the MCM virtually Saturday. Ran it on the course for the Richmond this year that starts at Dorey Park and goes along the Va Capital trail and back to Dorey Park. I'm running along thinking, "Dang, I don't remember any hills on the Cap trail last time I rode it. I might have to do some walking." That's where my aerobic fitness is at the moment.

FYI, once you do get outside, It might be best to avoid the area I was talking about on the weekends until after Nov. 22nd. That stretch will be crowded from now to Nov. 23rd.

https://www.richmondmarathon.org/rac...vent-schedule/

https://www.richmondmarathon.org/rac...rathon-course/

Last edited by seypat; 10-26-20 at 10:51 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-26-20, 09:26 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
I thought I might have had it in March or April. I was very tired, had a marginal fever (100.5˚ if memory serves), and slept for a day straight. Felt better the next day, and on day three was back on the trainer feeling 99% normal, maybe slightly low energy. But then forgot about it and things were back to normal. No flu symptoms or a cough or anything like that. Resting HR was slightly elevated (50s instead of 40s), but that's really only noticeable by looking at numbers not perceptually. I used an Sp02 sensor at the time to track my RHR (now I have a Whoop band to track recovery), and I don't recall it ever dropping below normal (98-99%).

Took an antibody test two weeks ago (at Quest Diagnostics) and sure enough, it's positive and I've had it. I don't know if it was the one sling of whatever last spring or some other time, but in either case it's a giant nothingburger for someone of even moderate cardiorespiratory fitness.
Glad you recovered fully and quickly. I can tell you I have no comorbidities, not even close to overweight, no history of asthma or any respiratory issues, I'm in my mid 30s, and was in pretty decent shape before the virus and yet it absolutely has impacted my respiratory system and continues to. I just ordered myself a pulse oximeter so I'm curious to see what it tells me during hard efforts. I consider myself lucky because I know it could have been much worse and I don't think anyone should be cavalier about this virus, regardless of how healthy they are.
Old 10-26-20, 09:54 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
There's some talk about the effect of Covid on Slowtwitch as well:
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/S...-19__P7245348/
Old 10-26-20, 10:00 AM
WhyFi

I can tell you I have no comorbidities, not even close to overweight, no history of asthma or any respiratory issues, I'm in my mid 30s, and was in pretty decent shape before having a kid...
Fify.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-26-20, 10:05 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9440 Post(s)
Liked 6,236 Times in 3,436 Posts
Glad you recovered fully and quickly. I can tell you I have no comorbidities, not even close to overweight, no history of asthma or any respiratory issues, I'm in my mid 30s, and was in pretty decent shape before the virus and yet it absolutely has impacted my respiratory system and continues to. I just ordered myself a pulse oximeter so I'm curious to see what it tells me during hard efforts. I consider myself lucky because I know it could have been much worse and I don't think anyone should be cavalier about this virus, regardless of how healthy they are.
There are so many variables that I don't think one can say that good cardiovascular condition will keep it at bay or only have a minor effect. A lot has to do with how your bodies' immune system reacts to it, and whether it overreacts killing off healthy cells. Google “cytokine storm.” The illness has two stages, and it's always the second stage that is more dangerous for those that don't properly respond to the first stage.
Old 10-26-20, 10:09 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
The future of everything except onanism at the moment.
Unless you have the wrong saddle.
Old 10-26-20, 10:17 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by Mojo31
There are so many variables that I don't think one can say that good cardiovascular condition will keep it at bay or only have a minor effect. A lot has to do with how your bodies' immune system reacts to it, and whether it overreacts killing off healthy cells. Google “cytokine storm.” The illness has two stages, and it's always the second stage that is more dangerous for those that don't properly respond to the first stage.
I'm clearly no doctor but I do wonder if my immune system was a bit weakened after having fought a persistent cold for about 2 weeks prior to actually catching the virus.
Old 10-26-20, 10:22 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by mvnsnd
There's some talk about the effect of Covid on Slowtwitch as well:
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/S...-19__P7245348/
Thanks for sharing that link, seems like my experience is mild compared to a lot of the posters in that thread, wow.
Likes For Dan333SP:
Old 10-26-20, 10:30 AM
Mojo31
-------

I'm clearly no doctor but I do wonder if my immune system was a bit weakened after having fought a persistent cold for about 2 weeks prior to actually catching the virus.
I don't know the answer to that.

Hope you continue to recover to your old self.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 10-29-20, 03:32 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Just to update this thread for anyone who ends up searching for covid-related information and didn't see my posts in Addiction, it turns out I developed DVT in one of my legs that is almost certainly a direct result of having had Covid. Have a clot from above my knee to my foot, and I noticed it while on the trainer a few days ago, felt my calf muscle aching and it became swollen, firm, and red. Had an ultrasound the following morning and confirmed my fears, it's a clot. Reason why my doc assumes it's Covid-related is because I'm nowhere near overweight, I remained active throughout my quarantine period (daily walks of at least 45 min, an hour on the trainer 5-6 times a week), and I eat a healthy diet, plus I'm 34 so I'm in a very low risk category for DVT in normal circumstances.

Anyway, it'll keep me very limited on activity for a few months but hopefully no worse than that as I caught it early. Take care of yourselves, mask up in public settings, and please take this virus seriously.
Old 10-29-20, 04:21 PM
cloud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
wishing you a speedy recovery. Like you I had it .I also tried to stay active when recovering.I thought I read somewhere where it was good to keep your lungs and respiratory system active if you get covid . Forced myself out of bed one day and went for a
isolated bike ride. Only was able to make it 10 miles that day. Had to take it easy but I made it. The next day I did 12.5 miles than 15.5 miles so on . I don't know if it helped my recovery.It was real hard to get motivated to go for a ride but I always felt better after the ride. I went for a ride the other day and could not believe how deep the breaths I could take. I guess I was real lucky and had a mild case. Again wishing you a speedy recovery.
Likes For cloud:
Old 11-01-20, 11:15 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Just to update this thread for anyone who ends up searching for covid-related information and didn't see my posts in Addiction, it turns out I developed DVT in one of my legs that is almost certainly a direct result of having had Covid. Have a clot from above my knee to my foot, and I noticed it while on the trainer a few days ago, felt my calf muscle aching and it became swollen, firm, and red. Had an ultrasound the following morning and confirmed my fears, it's a clot. Reason why my doc assumes it's Covid-related is because I'm nowhere near overweight, I remained active throughout my quarantine period (daily walks of at least 45 min, an hour on the trainer 5-6 times a week), and I eat a healthy diet, plus I'm 34 so I'm in a very low risk category for DVT in normal circumstances.

Anyway, it'll keep me very limited on activity for a few months but hopefully no worse than that as I caught it early. Take care of yourselves, mask up in public settings, and please take this virus seriously.
Soo sorry to hear this Dan, best wishes for a speedy recovery. Please keep us updated.
Likes For popeye:
Old 11-02-20, 03:21 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Well, my heart rate is elevated for the same effort (and elevated while at rest, by about 10 beats compared to where it ought to be) but otherwise I'm fine. It's the offseason anyway and I'm taking it easy, no hard efforts of any sort, so at least the timing is perfect to get over it. First attempt at running afterwards, my breathing felt quite a bit funny, but it's getting back to normal now. Wife is back to normal some three plus weeks after. Most of the guys from our club have had it really mild, too, but I heard some other triathletes are still having consequences about two months after having had it, so there aren't any rules.

Avoiding any actual hard efforts for a while does seem like a sensible precaution getting back to training after it.
Old 11-15-20, 08:05 AM
seypat

Just checking to see how the OP's condition is. Hopefully, it's trending in a positive direction.
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-15-20, 10:11 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Anyone else on the forum contract the virus?
Yes.

I tested positive last week and really only had severe chills/aches for about 3 days, but now I'm nearly done with my isolation period and I feel pretty good with one notable exception. I can hardly sustain any effort at all. It's not that my HR spikes, I just feel like I'm running out of oxygen when I sustain what used to be a very easy effort just 2 weeks ago. I can't breath deeply enough and I feel as if my lungs aren't at full capacity. I never had a severe cough so this is surprising to me.
That's not unusual. COVID can lead to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome with mitochondrial dysfunction. My aerobic threshold seems to have dropped from ~150W to 75, and I'm avoiding my anaerobic threshold for fear of triggering Post Exertional Malaise. I haven't been the same sine overdoing it a bit (100 minutes at my aerobic threshold which is a good 4-5 hour pace).

If you cause Post Exertional Malaise 12+ hours after exercising don't do that because you may never be the same again.

How long did these effects last for you?
I'm still counting after eight months.
Old 11-16-20, 06:43 AM
seypat

I'm still counting after eight months.
Ugghh! That's terrible. I don't know what to say. Just keep on going. It will get better one of these days.
Old 11-16-20, 10:00 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by seypat
Just checking to see how the OP's condition is. Hopefully, it's trending in a positive direction.
Thanks for checking! I'm doing much better, fortunately. My doc put me on Xarelto which is a newer anticoagulant, I'll be on it for at least 3 months. After going on the medication, I was still in pretty intense pain in my leg with any sort of activity including just walking from the bed to the bathroom, but that has gradually lessened. I also ended up buying a compression sleeve for the calf which has actually been a game changer. It keeps the swelling down and once I put it on I was almost immediately able to walk normally and gradually build back up to normal-length (but lower intensity) workouts on the trainer. Pre-Covid my 5 minute power from a Zwift race on my smart trainer was something like 380 watts, and my peak 20 minute power was around 320. Yesterday I tried a little more intensity and I was able to hold 240 for 20 minutes without too much difficulty and 290 for 5 minutes. That's very encouraging for me, even if there's a long way to go, and I was in no pain at the end of the workout. My lungs felt fully recovered and I wasn't experiencing the sort of exercise malaise/fatigue that I did initially.

That said, I'm very lucky that the recovery has been relatively quick, especially given what Drew mentions in his post. There are some new studies out about the affect Covid has on blood vessels, very interesting stuff, also makes me worried about additional clots in the future as it seems that the damage it causes can be quite severe.

https://khn.org/news/clots-strokes-a...blood-vessels/
Likes For Dan333SP:
Old 11-16-20, 10:17 AM
seypat

Thanks for checking! I'm doing much better, fortunately. My doc put me on Xarelto which is a newer anticoagulant, I'll be on it for at least 3 months. After going on the medication, I was still in pretty intense pain in my leg with any sort of activity including just walking from the bed to the bathroom, but that has gradually lessened. I also ended up buying a compression sleeve for the calf which has actually been a game changer. It keeps the swelling down and once I put it on I was almost immediately able to walk normally and gradually build back up to normal-length (but lower intensity) workouts on the trainer. Pre-Covid my 5 minute power from a Zwift race on my smart trainer was something like 380 watts, and my peak 20 minute power was around 320. Yesterday I tried a little more intensity and I was able to hold 240 for 20 minutes without too much difficulty and 290 for 5 minutes. That's very encouraging for me, even if there's a long way to go, and I was in no pain at the end of the workout. My lungs felt fully recovered and I wasn't experiencing the sort of exercise malaise/fatigue that I did initially.

That said, I'm very lucky that the recovery has been relatively quick, especially given what Drew mentions in his post. There are some new studies out about the affect Covid has on blood vessels, very interesting stuff, also makes me worried about additional clots in the future as it seems that the damage it causes can be quite severe.

https://khn.org/news/clots-strokes-a...blood-vessels/
Good to hear. That's an interesting article with some good info.

My wife works in the blood bank of one of the area hospitals. With what they're seeing, she fully expects all of the RVA area school systems to cancel all in-person classes and go back to online only in the next 2-3 weeks. Yesterday's data was encouraging. But overall, it's not trending in the right direction. At least our Gov. is a doctor. The only one that is. We got that going for us. VCU's still hanging tough. They're doing a decent job with their restrictions.

Last edited by seypat; 11-16-20 at 10:26 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-17-20, 02:15 PM
WhyFi

Pre-Covid my 5 minute power from a Zwift race on my smart trainer was something like 380 watts, and my peak 20 minute power was around 320.
Ouch - you were just short! If you would have been at 400w and 340w respectively, you would have edged in to that "moderate cardiorespiratory fitness" category and your infection would have been a nothingburger.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-19-20, 07:17 AM
am0n

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
My Brother in Law had it. He's older, was in the hospital on a ventilator. Doctor told him after it was done that his lung function would likely be permanently reduced by 25%. COVID messes up your lungs. Not saying you will have the same long term effect, but it's not just the common cold you are used to and then jump back into training. It may take a while (months even) for you to get back to where you were. Start slow and work into it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.