Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

neck pain long descents

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

neck pain long descents

Old 11-22-20, 09:50 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
neck pain long descents

I'm looking for tips on how to prevent the literal pain in the neck on longish descents.

The only things that seem to have helped are stretches and doing more descents.

Thanks
Old 11-22-20, 10:35 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 2,792 Times in 1,796 Posts
Physical therapy and bike fit designed to suit your body based on exams.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 11-22-20, 10:42 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
Dumbbells. Heavy shrugs. Lateral raises, front raises, rear raises, supersetted. Seated dumbbell presses, no back support. There are also special head harnesses for working the neck muscles, but I've never used one. Like anything else, a stronger muscle tires more slowly when loaded. Just using one's head for load isn't enough to generate much strength. There aren't any fast, coasting descents around here longer than about 16 miles, so that's my experience.
Old 11-22-20, 10:48 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by canklecat
Physical therapy and bike fit designed to suit your body based on exams.
Many ways to arrange the body during descents. I use the standard method: weight on pedals, chin 2" above stem to allow for bumps, back straight, knees gripping top tube, hands in drops, elbows tucked under stomach. I think more elaborate configurations sacrifice some safety.
Old 11-22-20, 10:53 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I think getting glasses that go higher up on your face like a visor/shield can help. It reduces the need to absolutely crank your neck when descending.

The alternative is to sit very upright.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 11-23-20, 06:39 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10069 Post(s)
Liked 5,753 Times in 3,092 Posts
Trim your eyebrows and exercise the superior rectus muscles.

Seriously though, I have a fusion and two artificial discs and my neck extension is limited, so I know from this problem. I also know from long experience that staying low in the drops with weight back is the only safe way to descend fast, especially on bad pavement, of which there is a lot here. To augment the problem, I have deep-set eyes and I figure the overhang of my ugly skull costs me a few degrees of flexion.

I have actually considered looking into custom glasses with a weak prism insert at the top to help me get lower on the bike safely and comfortably, but I don't know if such a thing is even possible.
Old 11-23-20, 06:58 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3182 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Hans device?
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-23-20, 07:00 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22473 Post(s)
Liked 8,794 Times in 4,092 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
I think getting glasses that go higher up on your face like a visor/shield can help. It reduces the need to absolutely crank your neck when descending.

The alternative is to sit very upright.
​​​​timtak Goofy Glasses??
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-23-20, 07:57 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10069 Post(s)
Liked 5,753 Times in 3,092 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
If you're looking to having a prism like a mirror, it will flip forward view upside down and that is worse.

I never liked rolling my eyes up to look forward while I'm facing the ground. Makes me quite dizzy and that's probably more dangerous for me. I prefer straining my neck to look as forward as possible
Prisms lenses don't invert. They are used all the time in glasses for people with double vision from eye muscle weakness and I have uses prism goggles to study sensorimotor adaptation in the lab. People learn to function with them perfectly with seconds of practice. There is, however, an opposite aftereffect when you take them off.

Agree, eye strain is no solution.
Old 11-23-20, 11:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
I've done various things to deal with neck pains at various times. First thing was take the visor off of my helmet. Second thing was make sure to adjust my helmet so it sat further back on my head. Both of these things let me see further down the road when in the drops without lifting my head so much.

I'd forgotten when buying my new helmet to check for forward visibility with head down. It doesn't give me quite as good a view as the front comes down too low on my brow. So it will probably be retired early.

As for neck pain in general, I was getting some at the top of my neck where it joins my skull. Not necessarily from riding. I think just me getting old and not moving as much. So I've been simply turning my head in every direction and in circles when I think of it. At first it was as if I had a bunch of gravel in there. But now my head spins smoother and the pain is gone.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-23-20, 11:51 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8148 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
Shermer's Neck Pain Relief - Health Tips From The Professor (chaneyhealth.com)
Old 10-12-21, 08:41 PM
jennyshop

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
doesn't sound good
Old 10-12-21, 09:26 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,368 Times in 2,798 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Hans device?
That was genius. Unless you are into motorsports, all you will hear is the jet engines flying over.

Old 10-13-21, 06:58 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked 551 Times in 441 Posts
I do a 23 mile descent up to 3 times per week. There's no need for any sort of extra low head position or gripping the top tube with your knees. My knees can't get close to the top tube and unless the slope is quite steep, I keep pedaling up to 45 mph. The only exercises I've ever done require no equipment. I place my hands behind my head, tilt my head down, then apply pressure with my hands as I raise my head up straight. This helps strengthen the neck and shoulder area.
Old 10-13-21, 07:12 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Dumbbells. Heavy shrugs. Lateral raises, front raises, rear raises, supersetted. Seated dumbbell presses, no back support. There are also special head harnesses for working the neck muscles, but I've never used one. Like anything else, a stronger muscle tires more slowly when loaded. Just using one's head for load isn't enough to generate much strength. There aren't any fast, coasting descents around here longer than about 16 miles, so that's my experience.
I've heard that a heavier helmet can provide a better workout ;-)

Originally Posted by Symox
I'm looking for tips on how to prevent the literal pain in the neck on longish descents.

The only things that seem to have helped are stretches and doing more descents.

Thanks
Isn't the road is still straight ahead when going downhill? OTOH, rollers would have more frequent instances of being angled down, but having to look further up to see up the next incline.
Old 10-13-21, 08:47 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I've heard that a heavier helmet can provide a better workout ;-)

Isn't the road is still straight ahead when going downhill? OTOH, rollers would have more frequent instances of being angled down, but having to look further up to see up the next incline.
I got the exercise recs from a RAAM competitor who got Schermer's the first attempt, but not the second, which he completed successfully. I've done a bit of long distance riding, though my longest ride was only 18.5 hrs. Never had neck or shoulder pain. Triceps pain if I hadn't been doing my pushups. Rollers on the tandem are my fave. Longest tandem ride was only 15 hrs.

Whereas beer is the universal pain solvent, strength is the universal pain preventative. The way to get stronger is to move heavy weights. I think that's all quite well known. See my sig.
Old 10-13-21, 09:23 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Massage won't help. Schermer's neck is simply the complete failure of the neck muscles. They plain old don't contract, no matter what you do, in the moment and usually for the next couple of weeks. They don't function, nada, because they are completely exhausted. What works is for your crew to attach a board to your back with a belt and then duct tape your helmet to the board. By the time they do that, they've tried everything else.
Old 10-13-21, 09:34 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10126 Post(s)
Liked 11,469 Times in 5,875 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Prisms lenses don't invert. They are used all the time in glasses for people with double vision from eye muscle weakness and I have uses prism goggles to study sensorimotor adaptation in the lab. People learn to function with them perfectly with seconds of practice. There is, however, an opposite aftereffect when you take them off.

Agree, eye strain is no solution.
Every "Intro to Psychology" book describes this experiment done with chickens. We did it in Psych 1, but on ourselves, not chickens. Missing the basket you're looking right at, before your eye/mind compensates back to normal is trippy.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-13-21, 09:40 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Sy Reene

Well, mostly people don't ride in the drops when not going downhill, plus often the gradient changes around corners - steep in/shallow out, which means looking ahead is looking up - on the descents I do, anyhow.

Bars with shallower drops might help, as might larger cycling-specific sunglasses as suggested above. But also, the flatter your back is, the less your neck has to bend up. Rotate your hips forward to straighten your back. Also reduces wind resistance.

Old 10-13-21, 12:07 PM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 79 Posts
Move to Minnesota where a longish descent is a mile.
Old 10-13-21, 12:37 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
I'm amazed at how my times I hear "My ___ (neck, lower back, arms, wrists... ) hurts after riding ___". Then I ask "What does your upper-body workout look like? Are you doing core, shoulders, triceps, back..." The answer is usually "No. I guess I need to do more... I uh, I just ride."

No idea what the OP's "off-bike" workout looks like, but just riding isn't going do it.

You don't need to turn into a bodybuilder. Two 45-min. workouts twice a week would do it - just doing upper-body resistance training.

Or, ^that^ could have nothing to do with the OP's neck issue. That's what makes the internet great ;-)
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 10-13-21, 12:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
Move to Minnesota where a longish descent is a mile.
at 2%.

Old 10-13-21, 04:48 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Zaskar
I'm amazed at how my times I hear "My ___ (neck, lower back, arms, wrists... ) hurts after riding ___". Then I ask "What does your upper-body workout look like? Are you doing core, shoulders, triceps, back..." The answer is usually "No. I guess I need to do more... I uh, I just ride."

No idea what the OP's "off-bike" workout looks like, but just riding isn't going do it.

You don't need to turn into a bodybuilder. Two 45-min. workouts twice a week would do it - just doing upper-body resistance training.

Or, ^that^ could have nothing to do with the OP's neck issue. That's what makes the internet great ;-)
Yep. Went to the gym yesterday and did 45' of my "pulling" upper body sets including my upper shoulder and neck work. Tomorrow will be the "pushing" sets which will include my fall leg sets, also 45'. I do an hour of moderate drills and endurance work on my rollers first. The gym is only 35-45 hrTSS.